New dragon/ general healt/ enclosure advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,
We got our daughter a beardie for her 10th bday, that was October 20. I can only guess that he was about 2 mo. I think he was about 7 inches. He’s a little over 10” now, he hasn’t grown much in the past month and seems to be trying to brumate. I take him out of his cave and remove everything for crickets to hide under to feed him, sometimes he’s motivated but they have to basically walk right in front of him for him to go for it. He’s eating on average about 5-7 medium crickets a day.
Now I realize the problem is the enclosure and I’ve ordered the thing we need to convert a piece of furniture into his new home. Which will be 46”x22”x17” and painted wood with tile substrate and Plexiglas sliding front doors. What I have coming is
- reprising 10.0 t5. (What is the difference in t5 and t8?)
-the fixture for it
-a MErcury vapor bulb for basking (100w)
-2 Che’s, not sure I’ll need them
-therma pro TP52 digital hygrometer/ thermometer
- day/night timer

I’m thinking I may need another reptisun, but maybe not since I’m using the MVB for basking, maybe just a regular incandescent for light and heat?

I’d love some feedback on enclosure and also health

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
The tank size hes going into is great ---- what are you using now for lighting? The problem is not the enclosure hes gonna grow no matter what hes in -- its your lighting and basking temps- and he needs a good diet of course but the lighting is going to get him to eat --- the difference in the T 5 and T 8 is the strength of bulb I believe some one can correct me on that and the distance it needs to be in the tank --- w/ a 75 gallon the T 5 can go on top of tank as long as your mesh is a wide whole and it would need to be 6-8 inches from basking spot / if not inside the tank approx 12-15 inches from basking no cover on the bulb - needs to be exposed - please tell us what your using right now for lighting? Him only eating 5-7 crickets per day is not good he should be eating way more than that unless your feeding him bugs too big for him --- if basking temps in the tank and UVB is not correct they will not eat --- he is too young to brumate ------------------
Karrie

OscarLuvBug

Original Poster
Hi Karrie, thanks for responding!

So, he's in the 20 gallon starter set we got for him with a cfl uvb (I know). I have been reading and reading and today I found a post that these do more damage than good. So I removed it and replaced it with a 150 watt incandescent (just 20 min. ago) not over the basking rock but centered in the cage to raise the temp. He's snuggled on my chest right now under my sweatshirt. Don't know if the 150 watt is too much but the Dollar General I went to didn't have 100 watt, only 60 and 150.

I will try and upload a pic of the furniture piece we are converting, if I can figure it out.

I know the UVB is a problem and also the general temperature. He poops pretty regular and they are quite wet when they first happen.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Here is a pic of my tank when I first got Blaze --- he was in a 20 gallon long tank ---- you need a UVB or he will stop eating --- he cannot live w/ out a UVB --
97951-9562450009.jpg
the fixture on the tank width wise is a T 8 the basking bulb is on the end of the tank held on by a clamp and it was a 75 watt Exo Terra - the fixture hanging over the other end is a CHE - I only used it for a few days as Blaze was so little so I kept his tank a little warmer --- -- what ever you do you need to get a UVB ASAP the coil you were using is ok cuz its a smaller tank but I would recommend you investing in a good UVB now - I would get a 24" fixture w/ a Reptisun 10.0 bulb use a T 8 for now you can always change the T 8 to a T 5 when you get the 75 gallon but he needs UVB or your gonna have problems - he will quit eating all together --- the T 8 bulb on top of the tank w/ no screen will be correct distance for him it needs to be 6-8 inches and w/ a piece of decor it should be about that height ---
Karrie

OscarLuvBug

Original Poster
I have a MVB coming in tomorrow which apparently supplies all UV they need.

https://www.beardeddragon.org/media/18151/full

This is the future enclosure (I don't know how to make the picture happen!
106928-5808301470.jpg

This is the current
106732-5295058973.jpg

I have been dusting the crickets with Calcium + D3 and they are rather large but not full size and he doesn't seem to have a problem with them when motivated

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok what is it exactly your getting for a UVB??? The dresser will be nice for him but if that is a 20 gallon tank it looks bigger to me but what ever he wont be in it long --- they grow fast and you dont want a dragon bigger than his tank --- and I would get more decor for him -- he only one thing to sit on --- I am going to post a pic of Blazes tank now so you can see what I am talking about most of the decor came from Petsmart with the exception of the stuffed animal and the tile ----
97951-7863920475.jpg
Karrie

OscarLuvBug

Original Poster
OH, Believe me. We will decorate! Most of my daughters Christmas was enclosure equipment and decor. I just want to make sure I get the lighting and the temps right. The basking bulb I get tomorrox is a 100 watt Mercury Vapor Bulb. They emit both UVA and UVB. The top will be solid wood except where we drill a hole to set the basking bulb since the height will only be 17" so all the othe lights will have to be mounted.
This is Oscar right now
106928-7058495269.jpg
If he is in his cave sleeping is it OK to pick him up and put him on his basking rock?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Is he basking at all? The Mercury Vapor bulb I have no experience w/ but others on here do so I am going to let them give advice on that bulb ---- you need to get him eating before he will poop and I am thinking that 150 watt bulb is too much -- what is the temp in the tank w/ the 150 watt - he will not bask if its too hot and you will burn him up--- I only had a 75 watt on my 20 gallon tank ---
Karrie

OscarLuvBug

Original Poster
He's basking now, this is him at the moment
106928-417569117.jpg
I can't be sure about the temps we put the little dial gauges where they are and
they are placed wrong and won't move so I definitely need good thermometers placed right.
I just tried to get him to eat and he was not interested, basked for maybe 5-10 min and went in his cave.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
You need a digital probe from Petsmart or Petco for $5--- and a infrared heat gun from your local home improvement store for around $10-12 ---- basking temps and UVB are the MOST important thing for the health of the dragon ------------------ he looks like hes getting too big for that tank already -- those dial thermometers are inaccurate --- they only give ambient temps ----------- you need to get a accurate temp on his basking spot---------- its going to effect his eating and his overall digestion -- I would suggest you start on the tank / dresser right away --- please check out the DIY board on this site there are certain glues and wood etc that you should not use because of chemicals--- some others on here can give advice on that area of expertise
Karrie

OscarLuvBug

Original Poster
Thank you SO much for bothering with me! I appreciate you!
So with a meat thermometer from my kitchen I determined his basking spot to be 99 degrees f, and under the 150 watt is 85.
He'll def survive the next 2 days, tomorrow when the MVB comes in I will switch out with current basking bulb.
Next I'll start a thread in the DIY section for more guidance.
Thanks a lot!
-Kelly

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Not sure that meat thermometer is gonna give accurate temps especially a temp of 85 w/ a 150 watt bulb--- um thinking not-- please get the digital probe- you don't want to install new bulb w/ out getting an accurate temp
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Harobuilt
Top Bottom