New dragon, Clicking sound.

Status
Not open for further replies.

zebraflavencs

Extreme Poster
Bath water should be between 90-110*F.
Mealies aren't the best food source, can you get any roaches ? As for greens, try BeautifulDragons web site, they have an excellent list of foods for daily (in green) treats (in black) and others not so good (red,yellow and blue)
Hope this helps !
Janie-Slave to Orion and Yardley !
Stepslave to Gemini !

Seven65

Juvie Member
Original Poster
I have the exact same problem with Brutus! He hates crickets! He hasn't wanted to eat them in months. I keep trying, but he doesn't go for them. I feed him mealworms every day and a couple of waxworms a week. I sprinkle a calcium supplement on everything. He occasionally eats a piece of the greens, but he's not really into them yet. Alot of people say that the mealworms aren't good for them. It can cause impaction (basically constipation) because of the chitin (exoskeleton). Also, they say that they are not as nutritious as crickets. However, I found an article about the nutritional value of feeders, and regular sized mealworms have more nutritional value than pinhead/small crickets (but not more than regular-sized crickets). I've also tried phoenix worms and hornworms, and he turns his nose up to those as well. Some people swear by phoenix worms and they have excellent nutritional value. If you try them out and your beardie likes them, that would be an excellent staple. If I can find that article, I'll get it to you...

Thanks!

Also, as it turns out the other vet in town is experienced with reptiles so I have an appointment tomorrow. I'm a lot more comfortable with that than having to wait on those drops to get here and hope they work, although it seems like it's had nothing but good effects on BDs.

Seven65

Juvie Member
Original Poster
zebraflavencs":d55ee said:
Bath water should be between 90-110*F.
Mealies aren't the best food source, can you get any roaches ? As for greens, try BeautifulDragons web site, they have an excellent list of foods for daily (in green) treats (in black) and others not so good (red,yellow and blue)
Hope this helps !
Janie-Slave to Orion and Yardley !
Stepslave to Gemini !

Yes I have the food list bookmarked and I've tried all sorts of things off of it, he just doesn't want to eat anything that isn't a mealworm so far. I figured if I kept it to worms maybe I could find a better worm to use as a staple that he'd actually eat and I know I can get butterworms easy. Roaches not so easy, and he's too small for roaches anyways. Hes under 6".

zebraflavencs

Extreme Poster
I have roaches that are anywhere from 1/8" on up. You may wish to get a substantial amount, place them into a sterylite container with a good food, water crystals and lots of egg crate, add a heating pad on the bottom for a temp of 90*, and depending on what kind you have, 2-4 months down the road, you have a unending supply. Anything over 1k is self perpetuating, so that ends the cost of buying mealies, which can cause impaction due to their hard carpace. Also roaches have little or no smell, have more protein and are easier to keep.
Janie.

Seven65

Juvie Member
Original Poster
He seems fine, eating more still just mealworms though. I went to the vet he was surprised by how much knowledge I had, I have this site to thank for that. He gave me some antibiotics but was more worried about his size than anything. He said that the small size was probably just due to bad living conditions in the pet store and that with my setup he should start growing soon as long as he keeps eating.

I bought some butter worms today, the girl at the pet store said I should only maybe give him one a week because the equate to about 7 crickets. Is this true? I've heard this before but I've also seen something saying that they'd be a good staple, is this only for larger dragons? I'd rather someone here give em an opinion on them than the pet store, I've kinda learned to stop paying attention to them, they mean well but they don't have a clue. When the girl at the store asked me how my lizard was doing I told her that I think it might have a lung infection so I took it to the vet and got antibiotics her response was "aw that's cute" ugh...

akingsley9000

Gray-bearded Member
RIs are cute?!?! :roll:

Anyway i'm glad you were able to get him to the vet. what did he give you for medication?

Butter worms are fine as a staple you can give him as many as he can eat in 15-20 min 3 times daily. Especially since he is so small right now. He can do a lot of growing over the next few months. :wink:

Because they are soft they can be feed to a dragon of any size.

However, you shold not leave them in his cage unattended for extended periods of time they like to chew and will chew anything. They actually ate the nonadhesive shelf liner i just to have: :shock:

Picture001.jpg

Seven65

Juvie Member
Original Poster
The vet gave me some Baytril, some sort of anti biotic to inject into live food once a day for 2 weeks. Thanks for the info on the butter worms, I wouldn't leave anything live in his enclosure unattended anyways, but it's good to know they like to chew on things. I just put some of the meds in a mealworm because I know he'll eat them and he did right away then ran away and sat on his rock. I offered him a butter worm and another mealworm but he didn't seem interested. He ate the other meal eventually and licked the butterworm but didn't seem hungry. I'll try again with the butterworms tomorrow. He's been licking everything recently he won't stop licking my shirt that I left in with him and his rocks. I disinfected scrubbed and rinsed the rocks well, but should I have sealed them with something? I have some leftover grout sealer from when i did the tiles.

akingsley9000

Gray-bearded Member
If you have disinfected the stuff in his enclosure there is no need to seal it. Its prefectly normal for them to lick everything - this is why we recommend staying away from particle substrates :wink:

Is he still making the clicking sound?

Seven65

Juvie Member
Original Poster
I'm not sure if he's completely stopped, he hasn't made it today or yesterday, but I can't hear him when his viv door is closed. Definately getting better, although he hasn't wanted to eat anything yet today.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylis342
Top Bottom