New Born pinkies?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BeardedDragon6

Juvie Member
So yeah.

they sell newborn pinkies here in my petshop.

and I would like to know if I could give spike one. the smallest one of course. because i would like to fatten him up a bit more. as hes a bit underweighed at least he looks like that to me and i would like to try out something diffrent rather than boiled chicken and locusts.
no they dont sell any roaches. nor hornworms, no waxworms. no other worms only mealworms. and im not allowed to order from the net. :T only when I would have my own bank account/card a paypal account. and a job. which i dont cause i still have to get accepted to that veterinary school. whats in 2 years.

and i know that they can cause impaction and all. but i would just try to give him a small one a very small one. or even cut it into pieces if needed.

But. I would like your advice also.

kjinxx2

Sub-Adult Member
I would advise against this. Stick with what you know is best for him. Why can't you get a part time job during the next two years while you're waiting to start veterinary school? Then you'd be able to properly care for your dependent animal :)

Oh, and cutting it up would be horrifying, if you've ever seen a frozen/thawed feeder mouse hemorrage while being eaten you'll know what I'm talking about.

kjinxx2

Sub-Adult Member
BeardedDragon6":1n4g497z said:
So yeah.

they sell newborn pinkies here in my petshop.

and I would like to know if I could give spike one. the smallest one of course. because i would like to fatten him up a bit more. as hes a bit underweighed at least he looks like that to me and i would like to try out something diffrent rather than boiled chicken and locusts.
no they dont sell any roaches. nor hornworms, no waxworms. no other worms only mealworms. and im not allowed to order from the net. :T only when I would have my own bank account/card a paypal account. and a job. which i dont cause i still have to get accepted to that veterinary school. whats in 2 years.

and i know that they can cause impaction and all. but i would just try to give him a small one a very small one. or even cut it into pieces if needed.

But. I would like your advice also.

There you are ;)

rdoyle

Juvie Member
How big is he? Do they sell Suporworms. If he is over 16inc he can have them they are good for butting on fat.

ButterflyGirl89

Hatchling Member
I highlighted it in order to read it. I would advise against using colors that bright/light in the future. But that's just me.

Not only would cutting up the pinkie be disgusting, your beardie probably wouldn't even go for it. So it would be a waste of a pinkie.

And umm, yeah I dunno how old you are but I second the part time job idea. I'm in nursing school as we speak, and I still work at a pet store when I can. Honestly I think good schools are a little more impressed and likely to admit you if 1) you've been through an interview or 2 before so you know what you're doing while in the interview, and 2) you have references such as your boss and coworkers that they can ask about your possible responsibility, dependability, etc. Also, that way you can feed him more crickets with the money from your pt job, which I'm assuming might be the problem because the parentals aren't wanting to spend tons of money on tons of crickets and/or keeping them for extended amounts of time?

BeardedDragon6

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Oh okay.

I will just stick with the locusts mealworms and the boiled chicken. (and of course salads and all)

and in my age. (im 13) we arent allowed to work even part time jobs arent allowed here.

I would love to have a part time job and a bank account and a paypal acc so i could order some horn worms or waxworms from some sites.

Spike is kinda a shortie. Cause hes only around 16'' but hes probably 2 years old. (they didnt tell us his age when we bought him. but hes been with us for a year)

i dont know how many hes weighing, Cause we dont have that thing. (idk what its called like) to weigh him.

yeah i know it would be disgusting to cut a pinkie. But i would like to be a vet. so. ;u;

also thanks for the advice ppl~ *hugs all* ;u;

ButterflyGirl89

Hatchling Member
viewtopic.php?f=76&t=100703

Step by step superworm breeding guide. <3

Good luck to ya, kiddo. You're obviously doing the best you can. <3

I do remember when I was young and would have a betta or a turtle or something and I wanted to go allll out and my parents would only let me do the bare minimum. Then when I got my first ever job at 16 and spent a couple of my own paychecks on a rainforest habitat for a little tree frog they yelled at me. It took them time, but they eventually got used to it. It's just who we are. Don't ever change. ;)

BeardedDragon6

Juvie Member
Original Poster
thanks for the link. C: I will try to do my best.

lol I have been having animals like my whole life. we got zebra finches, turtles, lizards (i have been catching wild ones and studying them lol when i was a kid i loved feeding them and watching them swallowing the grashoppers down)

yeah actually im trying to do my best what i can for spike. ;u; he has a huge terrarium with sliding glasses and tons and tons of soft and warm covers for the night. No crickets on his diet cause they smell. and got a lot of parasites. only locusts, mealworms and all. ;u;

techdave

Juvie Member
Walmart has prepaid credit cards that can be loaded at the register with cash, used online to buy stuff, just like a credit card. I'm not sure how much it costs though. I think about 3 bucks per 20 or something like that.

DNADragons

Hatchling Member
There is no harm in the occasional feeding of a pinky mouse or two. The variety in diet, fat, and calcium provided by the mouse are all very much needed in a bearded dragons diet. There are also healthier alternatives to mice, African soft furred rat and gerbil pinks are great. I have not fed them to a Bearded dragon yet, but I have not found any either. Mice, however, the few dragons that will eat them, get a few every year. We have fed 50 dragons or more a pinky mouse, I have never seen anything negative from it, maybe a bit stinkier poop.

Kalec

I would advise against feeding pinkies, as they can cause fatty liver disease in bearded dragons. I also second the superworm idea, as well as daily salads of collards, mustards, squash, etc. My Kalec and Ramsay also enjoy fresh raspberries as an occasional treat.

DNADragons

Hatchling Member
Kalec":nlpxdphc said:
I would advise against feeding pinkies, as they can cause fatty liver disease in bearded dragons. I also second the superworm idea, as well as daily salads of collards, mustards, squash, etc. My Kalec and Ramsay also enjoy fresh raspberries as an occasional treat.

A healthy dragon should not have to worry about fatty liver disease, but a healty dragon would not be one raised on mice alone. They serve a purpose, and are completely healthy. I have never seen a dragon die of fatty liver disease personally, and I only know of only one that had died from it, and it was raised without any veggies, what so ever... go figure. Feed your animal a balanced diet, or they can die of 1 or more of a billion different things.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nohupics
Top Bottom