New beardie - Nova

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just got a Beardie today at the NY Reptile expo (though i didn't plan on it quiet so soon) and thought i'd introduce him (no name just yet but i have a few things in mind i'll wait a few and see if his personality makes me lean towards anything)

79822-564825940.jpg

got him from Dachiu at the show he is 5-6 weeks old and either a Red Hypo Translucent (possible leatherback) or a Red leatherback Translucent not totally sure at the moment but im sure time will tell

for some images on my enclosure / Viv and custom rock structure you can check out my sort of work log here viewtopic.php?f=34&t=213601

Edit: decided to call the little guy Nova (as in Nova Shenron as his color reminds me of a dragon ball)

HitokiriBattousai

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
he is doing well he is now 10 inches long from head to the tip of his tail so that means he has grow 3.5 inches in just about 30 days

HitokiriBattousai

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
going into another full body shed

man it seems like he is perpetually shedding something lol

Edit: oh and it seems he has already outgrown he favorite sleeping spot wedged under his little log and now sleeps in his cave (last time he tried to sleep under his log all he could get was the front of his face so i guess he gave up on that one)

it is quiet amazing just how rapidly he is growing i've yet to measure him this week but at last check he was over 10 inches compared to 6.5 when i got him n Feb. 8th

HitokiriBattousai

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Well today he shocked me he actually enjoyed his bath and decided he wanted to stay in for a full 20 minutes!

i never thought he'd sudden decide he likes a nice bath as usually he acts like i just dipped him into acid and it is a chore to keep him in for 10 minute

also here are a few pics of him being miserable with his full body shed (he seems to be rather annoyed by it and drags his belly across his rocks and the tile on the ground but i know he can walk fine because upon taking him out and placing him on my rug he will gladly bolt and make a break for under the dresser but i know what he is up to so i just stop him before he gets there lol)

79822-4891743534.jpg

79822-5310511356.jpg

79822-5757436491.jpg

79822-3399337577.jpg

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Poor guy is going to feel MUCH better when he can get rid of that shed. Does he like to rub along the carpet to help the shed?

HitokiriBattousai

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
not the carpet but pretty much everything else he'll rub on at the moment the slate tile on the bottom of his viv being what he does the most

BlueDragon09

BD.org Addict
Hey fellow DBZ fan!

Nova is sooo cute and big! How old is he? Mine
is 5 months and not as big as that. One day be will be.

Everything looks good on your husbandry and stuff and a very big Nova Shenron. He'll be as big as the actual Shenron one day LOL.

HitokiriBattousai

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
he was born between Dec. 28th 2014 to January 4th 2015 so let me see...so about 11-12 weeks

and yea he is getting big even for Daichu's growth charts he is pretty big if he keeps up at his growth rate he just might be as big as his namesake lol

BlueDragon09

BD.org Addict
At least you'll be able to ride him LOL!

I had the weirdest dreams that Vash was huge and had wings I was able to ride him. Sadly, a dream and it was cool. He's dead now RIP Vash.

11-12 weeks my goodness!! That's a big boy. You're doing a great job, Kenshin. Keep it up!

HitokiriBattousai

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
something odd tonight i found his usual poop but no urate. Not sure if he walked through it (i gave him a bath anyway) or if there wasn't one otherwise the poop looked totally normal though

he ate 68 crickets total today, snacked on some collard greens, and drank some water

BlueDragon09

BD.org Addict
It's normal for my dragon at least. Sometimes Broly has no urate but the next poop has one. I'm sure you're ok. If it happens a lot then that may be a problem but never heard of any dragon going too long without a urate. I'm sure he'll give you a urate with his next poop.

Kami

HitokiriBattousai

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
he has hit the 12 inch mark amazingly he grew that inch in 8 days (since i last measured him)

still dealing with his shed his back still hasn't shed yet but his beard has started shedding and he is not happy about that his beard is somewhat dark and everything and from the way he shed last time he body should follow shortly (last time he went Tail>Head>Belly>rest of body then his tail went into shed again after all that so if he sheds anything like last time he'll go right back into shed)

he also ate 90-95 crickets today (20 for breakfast 70+ for dinner) which was a bit shocking

HitokiriBattousai

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
he has finished his body shed but it seems like his tail is going to go into shed again (i'll try for some pictures tomorrow as he has gone to sleep already)

he also ate 100 crickets today which was again shocking to see him eat that many

HitokiriBattousai

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
not much new to report though his poop did get slightly runny around Easter but some people were over so im thinking that may have stressed him a little as everything is looking normal again

and as of April 8th i've had Nova for 2 months and he has also finally hit 13 inches so double the size he was when i got him and he is currently getting ready to shed again (he has been in pretty much a perpetual shed since i got him)

here are some images

79822-1745304237.jpg

79822-6442571878.jpg

79822-8307895166.jpg

HitokiriBattousai

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Nova has broken the 14 inch mark and currently in shed (just finished his legs and tail before those currently his head is shedding then next up is his body should he stay true to his patter )

the other day after his bath he was rubbing his head all over the towel i had to dry him off with i can only imagine how much that shed must itch

HitokiriBattousai

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Nova is on the last stage of his shed (his body) looks like it is gonna come off anytime now

today he gets a bath in the real bathtub as he has outgrown his previous tub (it was 15x19) so he is just about 15 inches now

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J.sobrero
Top Bottom