New Beardie build with some lighting questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am brand new to this forum and I have spent hours reading through many posts. There is a ton of great info here and
thanks for that. Hello from the US.. 8)

So heres the viv. Left side is basking, middle playground and right side for cool zone and hiding. Was a blast to build. All the foaming, cutting and grouting was quite an adventure.

So my questions revolve around the lighting of the viv. With the size being 4'x2'x2' I think I only need to use 3 bulbs. These are the 3 I have purchased

- For the Basking bridge I have a 50W Zoo-Med Basking Spot - I know this is enough for the basking temps, but will it be enough to get the cool side up to 80f?

- For the Middle of the viv I have a Zoo-Med Reptisun Compact fluorescent 10.0 - Is this enough UVB for a 4" enclosure?

- for the cool side I have a Zilla Night Black Heat Incandescent Spot Bulb 50 Watt - This is just so I can see the beardie in the dark and keep night time temps at 70f.

All these bulbs are set in ceramic fixtures and will be wired to an automated zone control using an RTD for temp monitoring. My profession
is automation so i have access to a great device that is complete overkill but will perfect the environment automatically, monitor RH and even log the temp data for me.

This is the automation device i am using. PID control and datalogging with web based remote access

I look forward to your responses.

Thank you

DoctorDragon

Original Poster
Hey Thanks Speedy.

I just took delivery of the compact flourescent bulb and beside it being suspect for bad eyes, it is way too big for my setup it would hang down way to close to my beardie's lair. I will replace it with the tube you recommended and after that all i have to do is get the doors done and the automation logic completed and I can go make the kids happy and let them pick out a beautiful citrus or bright red dragon.

Can you suggest a bulb that i could use in the night time hours that would provide more purple or blue light than the night heat i bought, that bulb doesnt seem to offer much in the way of a glow for the dark viv at night.

Thank you

For night time I use the exo terra night heat lamp and its doesnt bother my spike a bit( used to sleep under it until I moved to cool side as was getting warmer downstairs with summer but still cold drafts)
And it doesn't bother me or him at all! Red ones I find are bright for what they should be serving for night time

DoctorDragon

Original Poster
so i finished me lighting setup and replaced the compact fourescent with a Zilla slimline desert fixture using a 50 UVB T8 fourescent bulb.

hope this is the one because i am so close to finishing this build and cannot wait to test the environment automation and than go buy the dragon.

is this UVB acceptable? hope so......

DoctorDragon

Original Poster
so I have answered my own question and should have taken advice earlier.

The T8 i have from Zilla will not provide what i need for UVB, so i will be switching to the Reptisun 10.0 T8. This will fit in the same fixture that Zilla provided.

T8 is T8.

Getting so close cannot wait to pick up the little citrus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beardiemomg
Top Bottom