New bearded not eatting

Status
Not open for further replies.

kettman

I have had adults Bearded Dragons, but never babies. I did just get a new baby bearded. At the pet store he did eat alot, but it seems that he is not eating as much when I got him home.
I thought that is could have been with the new place and my dog watching him all of the time. So I flip the tank, so the dog would not be able to see him.
At the pet store they had the green carpet in the tank, and I have the Zoo med sand. I believe that it is easy to clean with the sand. Should I remove the sand, since he is not used to it? I had notice when he eats he does get some sand in his month, but it's the sand that is okay for him to eat. He is not even eating the greens.
He also had a tank mate at the pet store
Please help, I am getting worried about him

healthybeardie

Juvie Member
Yes, get rid of the sand! The sand heightens potential for parasites/bacteria and can cause impaction if eaten. Contrary to what pet stores or the "sand marketing people" say, sand of any kind is dangerous and should not be eaten!

This is a great site and if you do a google search, you can get a great deal of up-to-date and accurate information from experienced bearded dragon owners. Better substrate options would be paper towels, newspaper, nonadhesive shelf liner or slate tiles (good for keeping nails trimmed too!)

In order to figure out if there is another problem, can you go over what your viv set up is?

E.g.
How old is your beardie?
What do you feed him?
What type of lighting? Heat light and UVB light?
Temperatures, thermostat types?
Size of viv?
Viv furniture (hiding rocks, caves, etc)
Are all lights turned off at night?

This will help us to hopefully help your new beardie.

RolandKyramere

Sub-Adult Member
Not too surprising that he was eating well at the store and isn't eating at home. How many days has it been since you brought him home? Relocation stress can highly impact a beardie's eating habits. I would also ditch the sand, I used it for a while and on top of all of the other reasons, its really messy, a big pain to clean up, and stinks to high heaven after a while of use.

I purchased mine at a petstore to and had the same thing happen. After a few days of being in his new place he started eating like a pig. I think it was about the 4th day having him here he started eating 30 crickets. I'm sure you know since you have other bearded dragons, but make sure you aren't giving him crickets that are to big. I was told at the pet store to feed my tiny 6in guy large crickets!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PKFA
Top Bottom