New bearded dragon questions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aomusik

Just got my first beardie, and im new to this.

The only thing i have not been able to achieve is a low humidity percentage at night. Normally is between 30% to 50% when the basking bulb is on and i cannot get it lower. I’ve tried it all, sock with rice, dehumidifier cups etc. Nothing works. At night it rises all the way to 80% but my dragon sleeps next to the rice sock.

Anyways, he sometimes do not eat his crickets.

Maybe he is stressed?

How do I upload pictures of him so you guys can tell me if he looks healthy?

Thanks in advanced!

Aomusik

Original Poster
Thank you KarrieRie!

full

Lighting specs:

• 75 Watt Basking Light
• 13 Watt UVB bulb

Both place on one side, right on top of his rock, where he sleeps inside and basks on top.

Screen mesh before the bulbs. They sit around 4” - 5” from the rock.

Also, my dragon is 6-7” in length.

I got him a week ago!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Ok so please get rid of the 13 watt coil --- they are a terrible bulb--- 75 watt bulb is ok as long as its keeping temps 105-110 taken w/ a digital probe thermometer! No stick ons they are inaccurate
you need this for a UVB for a 40+ gallon tank https://www.pangeareptile.com/store/zoo-med-reptisun-t5-ho-terrarium-hood.html order the 22" ---- these are the best on the market at this time --- these two things I just posted are the two most important things in the tank --- they will control the overall health and behavior of the dragon

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Yes the coil will start a lot more health issues- please replace it ASAP-- make sure your basking temps are being taken w/ a digital probe thermometer

Aomusik

Original Poster
Thank you KarrieRie!!

I’ll order it ASAP. Meanwhile can I use a 25W bulb from Petsmart until the other one arrives?

I’ve double-check temps using a Taylor 9848EFDA just to be sure, and his basking spot temps sit around 95-98 F. The top rock of his hide (where he basks) is at 114F.

Right now he is basking with his mouth open!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
114 F is too hot -- you want the temps at 105-110 for a baby-- does he bask clear up at that temp? Hes gaping which is good but the 114 temps not so good -- can you post pics of the tank and his bulbs your using please - what size tank ?

Aomusik

Original Poster
Well the surface of the rock/hide itself gets 114F but ambient temp is between 95-100 F.

He basks a lot, but will sleep inside his hide a lot too.

The tank size is 20 gallons, is the Thrive terrarium kit they sell at Petsmart.

https://www.petsmart.com/featured-brands/thrive/thrive-desert-reptile-terrarium-essentials-kit---20-gallon-54181.html?cgid=5000640

I have placed a heating mat on the bottom of his hide (below the glass) so he can be warm at night. He loves sleeping in there.

I’ll post pictures as soon as I get home!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
you need a digital probe thermometer so I am thinking your not getting the correct temps - you need something like this https://www.petsmart.com/reptile/environmental-control-and-lighting/zoo-med-reptile-terrarium-digital-thermometer-14914.html?cgid=500202
Please NO heat rocks NO heat mats and NO colored bulbs- if the tank is dropping below 65 at nite get a CHE ceramic heat emitter it goes on top of the tank produces NO light dragons like cool and dark to sleep -- you will need to upgrade that 20 gallon tank here soon by the time he gets to be a year if not before he will have outgrown it - I recommend you start looking for a 75-120 gallon tank w/ front doors - the UVB I recommended will go right in to the new tank - the carpet is ok but a pain to keep clean and sanitary- I would recommend getting some textured NON adhesive shelf liner from your local home improvement store when you upgrade the tank - its a lot easier to keep clean w/ vinegar/ water 50/50 solution-- please get the UVB replaced ASAP -- For a 20 gallon tank I was using a 75 watt - but you need that digital probe thermometer to get correct actual temps are you using the 75 watt that came w/ the tank? Please get the probe thermometer ASAP- let me know when you get the UVB so I can help you place it on the tank - the fixture comes w/ a 5.0 bulb you can use that for now on the 20 gallon tank -- I can help w/ feeding etc -- please ask more questions if you have them and please DO NOT LISTEN to the Petsmart people they should not be giving out advice as most have not a clue as to how to take care of dragons more often than not they give bad advice and its detrimental to the dragon

Aomusik

Original Poster
I got the thermometer you recommended, plus i changed the UVB bulb for a 25W one until I get the tube you recommended! On top of that, i cut out a hole on the mesh so there is nothing between the lights and him. Bulbs are 4-6” away from him.

Now he’s basking, but he is completely black!

I dont know what else to do :(

full

full

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Those are stress marks--- please post a pic of the 25 watt bulb-- please place the probe on the platform since hes hanging off the side I am wondering if the top of that platform is too hot

Aomusik

Original Poster
Here is the 26W UVB Bulb

full

Here is the 75W Basking Bulb

full

And here is a pic of him. I'm noticing a different color on his tail, is this normal?

full

Temps up there are 107F, and below is lower, 98F.

Maybe he is stress because I've touch him many times?

I'm sorry for asking so many questions. I'm just super worried about him. I've given him 5-6 crickets and he just ignores them. Crickets are now all over the place jumping around. He doesn't even bother eating... :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Panthercat
Top Bottom