New Bearded Dragon Hardly Seems to Eat

Status
Not open for further replies.

gj1980uk

Hi all,

I got my bearded dragon two weeks ago. I am new to bearded dragons (I have desert tortoises but they live outside). Been doing a lot of reading on this forum and to me it seems he is not eating as much as he should. He seems semi interested in crickets if they are right in front of his face but won't actively seek them out. I would guess he is only eating 6 or 7 crickets a day, a nibble of some collards, maybe a couple of worms. Seems to poop a few times a week I think. He is about 7 or 8 inches nose to tip of tail. Lately he seems to be lethargic, and is dark a lot of the time, but lightens up when I take him out. His colors seem to be dull, especially on his tail.

I have him in a 20 gallon 30x12x12 tank, with a Zilla slimline desert UVB (yes, I know, Zilla, I need to change out the bulb to a reptisun) with the plastic cover removed. A 100w zoo med daylight blue bulb. Using the acurite probe thermometer which is reading 98 on his basking rock and 80 at the cool end. Below is a picture. I need to figure out a way to put the UVB under the screen and probably raise his basking spot a little.

Any suggestions. He doesn't seem to like to eat in a separate box so in his tank the crickets just run around and he grabs one if it is right under his nose. And sometimes he seems to not even care.

Thanks!

84676-4919644874.jpg
84676-9663463886.jpg

destiny1998

Extreme Poster
Photo Comp Winner
Hi. He's a looker :D . Those colored bulbs are junk. He needs a bright white basking light. I use a halogen flood bulb. You want to mimic his natural environment. He should definitely perk up and his appetite will more than likely improve.

gj1980uk

Original Poster
Thanks for your help.

This morning I went and got a Philips 50w halogen flood and a dimmer. Have it dimmed to about 60% and the temps are now hovering between 107-110. He ran straight up and did the flattest pancake I have seen.

May have to get a small bulb for the other end of the tank because the halogen doesn't spread its heat as much as the incandescent so the cool end is now only 70ish.

Also managed to mount the UVB under the screen:

84676-3054105351.jpg

destiny1998

Extreme Poster
Photo Comp Winner
Hi. Your set up and temps sound and look spot on. The cool side temps are fine. I'm glad he pancaked for you. Must've really liked the warmth :D

Please tell me you're not planning to keep that beardie in that cage forever... IT WILL DIE!!! please upgrade soon. For the sake of reptiles. :cry: :banghead:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J.sobrero
Top Bottom