New beaded dragon

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I just got my first bearded dragon! I bought the Zilla basic desert kit and then a fake plant, corner tub, food dish and a basking rock. I have the two lamps on top and the day lamp over the basking rock. But the tank is not warm enough. It is sitting just below 80 degrees F. How do I get it hotter? Do I need another bulb?

david0501

Juvie Member
Here we have a great example of "Pet store Misinformation"...

Ok first of all, Im guessing you didn't read up a lot on this forum before getting your beardie.

1) I don't recommend using the (most likely sand) substrate that came with your kit..
2) Your probably noticing your beardies eyes being shut most of the day (due to the bad UVB bulb that came w/ your kit). So I would recommend buying a 10.0 reptisun ASAP
3) Im also sure your kit came /w a night bulb, which I recommend you replace /w a Ceramic heat emitter (if your temps get too cold at night).
4) Since your tank isn't getting hot enough you should either get a higher wattage bulb or moving your bulb closer to the basking area.
5) Make sure the water in your bowl isnt too deep
6) Beardies can't sense heat from their bellies(from what I've read), so make sure that the rock doesnt get too hot
I know this is hard to hear but if you want your beardie to thrive your going have to read up ALOT on what to change/ do in the future.

Which petstore did you get your kit from?

Wesleysmith993

Original Poster
I actually got carpet instead of sand... Im getting new bulbs soon,I just didn't know which ones to get for sure, and the people at Petco, the store I got it from, didn't mention that much abut the lights. And I read that I needed a higher wattage for the day bulb so I was going to go with a 100 watt. Would that be good to get the temperature up? and Also I will get a new night time bulb as well. The people at Petco seemed like they were giving us mixed information on how to care for it...

david0501

Juvie Member
Yes, get a 100 watt. Dont get a night time bulb it hurts their eyes, just buy another hood fixture thingy and buy a cerimac heater, petco sells both.

Wesleysmith993

Original Poster
Ok, So I will get the 100 Watt day light, and the ceramic heater and fixture. With the day lamp and the ceramic one, would I leave the night one on as well during the day So there would be three on? I've read about it and people have said both yes and no, so what would your opinion be on that?

snazzyglasses

Sub-Adult Member
Make sure you have a decent thermometer as well; the dials and stick-on strips are notoriously inaccurate (sometimes off by as much as 20*F! :eek:). A digital thermometer w/ probe or a temp gun is best to make sure your temps are in the right ranges. And I think PetCo even sells little yellow digital thermometers w/ probes for pretty cheap. If not, you can grab a $12 AcuRite "indoor-outdoor" digital thermometer from a place like Walmart or a home improvement store :)

Wesleysmith993

Original Poster
Okay, I will look at getting a different thermometer! Do I keep the night bulb on if I have the ceramic heater on as well during night times?

Lindz0518

Gray-bearded Member
Those kits are just awful, they should just take them off the market. Also make sure to get a reptisun 10.0 TUBE, the coils are no good. You can buy the housing for the light at walmart for around $8, just chuck the light it comes with. Make sure it's mounted in the tank at the top with some silicone or other adhesive. If you put it on top of the screen then a lot of the uvb will be filtered out by the screen.

Wesleysmith993

Original Poster
Would I need the another lamp on top then as well? because I have the day bulb 100 watt and then the ceramic heater now. Then If I got the tube, would I just need that and the ceramic heater?

Lindz0518

Gray-bearded Member
You still need a basking light, you can use a halogen or flood light from walmart. No need to spend so much on one from the pet store. Or even a regular house hold bulb will work if you can get the basking temp up to around 100-105. Don't use the blue day lights.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nohupics
Top Bottom