New Baby

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kate221

Hatchling Member
Today when I went to get Loki some crickets at our local pet store, I saw a super skinny baby bearded dragon in a tank with 5 larger ones. It was obvious he/she was getting very little food, so with me being a sucker for beardies,....I brought it home with me! The new baby is a little shorter than Loki but much skinnier. I had the vet take a look at it before I purchased it and she said everything was fine, it just needed a LOT more to eat. Loki is NOT a happy camper,...at ALL, I tried to let them meet but Loki decided he wanted to TASTE the new baby,..he started licking it...then biting at it. So needless to say, I'm thinking I'll keep them separated while they're out of their vivs for now. I have no idea the sex of either of them but I had honestly hoped they could keep eachother company while i was in class during the day,... Even if it was just through the viv. glass! Loki just seems stressed and ticked off now,....He isn't so stressed that he won't eat, he ate tons of crickets...so that's good I guess. I just don't want either of them to be unhappy!

How many of you guys have more than one Beardie and do they get along?! Should I let Loki see the new baby through the viv. or should I move them out of eachothers sight?
I'll try to post pictures later and see if maybe you guys can tell me if they're boys or girls,...I have a feeling they're both too small to tell yet!
Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated!!

Beardednoob

BD.org Addict
I have 4 dragons and it would be disastrous if they were in the same enclosure(s). Their communal stage is very short lived. :wink:

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Nice of you to save the baby ! But...they shouldn't even see each other, this will cause a lot of stress. Imagine, the baby has already been picked on, and now he has to see the " bully " all day. So, it's best to keep them out of view of each other.

Kate221

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Lokinbaby032.jpg

Loki is on the left...The new one is on the right, it has it's feet positioned funny making him look funny shaped. lol.

Lokinbaby031.jpg

I just think this new baby is too cute. I fed it when we got home,...Any suggestions on names?!

I'll definitely separate their vivs....right now they are separated by a plant and about 3 feet but i'll move them out of eachothers sight! I sat them together in the pictures just to show you guys their colors. What do colors do you think they'll be when they get older?? It's going to be pretty exciting to watch them grow and change!! :)

lauraj1055

Gray-bearded Member
The newbie has some nice red color to it.. they are both very cute! I don't know how anyone feeds 2 babies.. I couldn't afford to!

Beardednoob

BD.org Addict
Your new baby reminds me of Ifrit and Seka when they were young. The babies are always so cute LOL :wink:

Nuka042

Hatchling Member
Loki's color is just amazing as well as the new baby. I'm hoping to rescue a beardie too when my first beardie is at least a year old (gives me time to know what a normal dragon is like first). You should keep up with the mythological names; Odin, Fenrir, Baldr, Máni etc. Very cute, I can't wait to see them all big!

Kate221

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
To be honest, I probably SHOULD have waited to get another beardie...I just can't stand to see them suffer. I should definitely stop going over and looking at the babies everytime I go into a pet store now....seeing as how I can't take them ALL home. lol. Feeding two is really going to be a stretch but we'll get through it. Hopefully as they get older they'll slow down on the cricket intake, good lord they're going to eat me out of house and home!!

This whole not knowing if they're boys or girls is really getting frustrating. I hate naming them then changing it again but I don't want them to both be nameless until i figure it out!! I went with Loki for my first one, assuming it's a boy (Lokie if it's a girl?! lol, we'll figure something out) I'm just really drawing a blank on what to name this baby...

Beardednoob

BD.org Addict
Definitely difficult to know if they are female or male at young ages like this. You might be best making an educated guess by how they act. You said Loki was trying to bite the other one, this may be a sign that Loki is male. And so forth.. :wink:

sheri85

Juvie Member
the new baby is so cute! i have to avoid looking at the animals in pet stores because i'll be tempted to bring another home, and i've already got two reptile tanks here so i doubt my boyfriend would be happy if i got another (at least until we move to a bigger place). both Loki and the new baby have beautiful patterns!

the vet wasn't able to sex the new baby? my Archer's got very obvious bumps on his tail, so i went with male, but even if he turns out to be female i'd keep the same name (but i'd feel bad since i spent all this time calling him a handsome boy :p).

Kate221

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Yea,..the newbie was just laying there letting Loki bite the crap out of it's head and tail! I couldn't let that continue, obviously, So I put them both back in their vivs. to calm down. I was looking earlier and by every picture i've seen giving examples of how to tell if they're male or female... it's looking like Loki is a male and the newbie is a female. I'd love to have one of each but I don't plan on breeding so it doesn't matter to me!! I just want them both to be happy and healthy.

I definitely thought about asking the vet about gender...AFTER I left. Lol. I was more worried about why the little one was so skinny at the time. I can take them both up there again this week and i'm sure she'd be glad to sex them both.

Kate221

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
When I first saw the baby, it was laying on a log inside the 5 gallon viv. with it's head down and eyes closed. The other 5 beardies were all running around and really alert, that's what initially concerned me. I got the lady that worked there to let me hold it and that's when i realised how thin it was. So we went straight to the vet, she checked the baby out and said everything was fine and that because it was younger and smaller than the others in the tank, it was only getting what the bigger guys left over,...which wasn't much apparently. She/he ate about 20 small crickets when we got home. It was nice not having the whole "not eating because of the move" issue, but I can tell he/she is still pretty scared. She/he has been really calm since we got home,...i'm hoping this chill personality sticks but i'm not counting on it! lol!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stump5150!
Top Bottom