New babies...

Status
Not open for further replies.
2 of my 5 babies have hatched. :blob5: They are all that remain from our 1st clutch. :cry: It is so exciting. I have moved them from the incubator to a 10 gallon tank. I have greens and water in there as well as a basking rock under the light. I have not set up the UVB yet. I will do that tomorrow. They will be fine right? Also, is tomorrow too soon to start on crickets? Technically they started hatching yesterday, but really emerged today. Who knew it could take so long??? :?:

beardedmama":da448 said:
2 of my 5 babies have hatched. :blob5: They are all that remain from our 1st clutch. :cry: It is so exciting. I have moved them from the incubator to a 10 gallon tank. I have greens and water in there as well as a basking rock under the light. I have not set up the UVB yet. I will do that tomorrow. They will be fine right? Also, is tomorrow too soon to start on crickets? Technically they started hatching yesterday, but really emerged today. Who knew it could take so long??? :?:

Firstly congrats on having them start hatching. If it was your female's first ever clutch, a somewhat low fertility rate is pretty normal; if she's laid clutches after the one that's hatching then expect much higher fertility rates (and as a result you'll need far more setups for the babies etc...) Have the babies absorbed their egg sacs yet? I tend to leave mine in humid cricket tubs in the incubator for 24-48 hours to make sure they've absorbed their sacs...

With the UV, they will be fine without for a day or so, but obviously the sooner you can get it up and running the better! I'd leave them a few days before giving them crickets - leave greens in there so they have something to snack on, then when they're 3-4 days old drop a couple of small crickets in (remembering the rule about being no larger than the gap between the babies eyes). You'll easily be able to tell from the babies' reactions to the crickets whether or not they're "ready" for them. If not, you've only got a couple of crickets to take out; if they are ready then start adding more. I don't usually dust the crickets for the first couple of feeds - newly hatched babies sometimes struggle when the crickets are dusted, and end up licking the dust off rather than getting the crickets. It's a personal preference though - even if they are dusted the babies will get them, they just might take a few more tries.

Best of luck with them!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
meljorogers
Top Bottom