New and need help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lkpickel

I got my first breadie 2 weeks ago from petsmart. He is 5" long right now. We got the 20 gallon long tank kit that came with all kinds of stuff. Needless to say the top broke 2 days later and went back and got another cage. It's the exo terra medium ( 24"x18"x12"). Still using the lights and ect that came with the other cage. I know he will need a bigger cage later. I plan on building one. Any help with anything will be great. He only eats about 2-3 crickets a day. I try to feed him 2-3 times a day and that is all he still eats in a day. I put fresh greens in the cage every morning and remove in the afternoon. I don't know if he is eating any. Just want to know more about temps, lights, feeding ect. Please I don't want to loose the little guy. We have bonded. He climbs onto my hand and falls asleep. When I click my tongue he turns his head and opens his eyes to look at me. I love him. Well him/her. Can't really tell yet. I have had snakes and geckos in the past but man a breaded dragon is so much different.

Lkpickel

Original Poster
Also he has not shed yet. His tail looks dull but I don't know if it was from the vita sand that WAS in the tank. I found it leaves a dusty color to your hands. I have removed it and now have newspaper and slate tile in the bottom of the cage. I removed the sand about 5 days ago. And he does get a daily bath.

snazzyglasses

Sub-Adult Member
Congrats on your new little guy! He sounds adorable :)
Also, welcome aboard! Everyone here is super knowledgeable and helpful and nice. I'm a new beardie owner also, and all of my zillions of questions were either answered on previous threads (that Search tool is awesome!), or very nicely answered by forum users :)
I would like to warn you that you'll probably be buying more beardie equipment, since more often than not those pet store kits don't have the right items in them for bearded dragons. Especially the lighting. The coil-style UVB bulbs that usually come in those kits are okay for some of the other lizard species, but they can hurt beardie's eyes :( So make sure your UVB bulb is a tube, not a coil! :) ReptiSun 10.0 (not ReptiGlo) and Arcadia 12.0 are the types that are good for bearded dragons :)

I can't remember the temperature range for babies, and I have to leave in a sec otherwise I'd find the threads and link them for you. They're easy to find with the forum Search tool though. The Care Sheets on beardeddragon.org main page are also super helpful. And here's the best nutrition website EVER, it has tons of items on it- http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html

Good luck with your new beardie! I'm sure others will chime in here pretty soon too :)

Lkpickel

Original Poster
Thanks and here goes on some pics
Cage setup
5e500a4e93a2bde5d38a7f1364cc2b83.jpg

My baby
0f46736006b5d40f5dbcf34541db33b0.jpg

Side view
a8fb686a3c5ab15c5334fd17ca3c988f.jpg

I can't tell the sex. I'm thinking girl?
a8fb686a3c5ab15c5334fd17ca3c988f.jpg

What are the large bumbs at the base of his tail?
15adaad1d139e74f5945c68533ddd6a1.jpg

Lkpickel

Original Poster
Oh no on the lighting. Where can I order one of those bulbs from at a descent price? I don't mind buying things as long as my animals need it. We have a mini zoo at our house that consists of my new breadie, hermit crabs, rabbit, fish tank, 2 dogs and 2 indoor and 2 outdoor cats. Everyone of them are spoiled in their own way. I have already started building him a rock climber.

BeardieMommy3991

Sub-Adult Member
Hi and welcome! The bumps are just your babies hip bones- they will go away once he fills out.

And the best price for the Reptisun 10.0 tube I have seen is at www.petmountain.com. :D

The temps, since Snazzy couldn't get to it, are pretty tough to get right, but once you do- its grand! You don't NEED a fancy basking bulb, but I am assuming you have some that came with the kit. For future reference, you can use a clear household lightbulb- super cheap and easy to find.

Basking Spot- 100-105 degrees F. This is where they can get closest to the light, and is SURFACE temp. It should be measured by a probe thermometer, as the sticky ones can be very off! You can use 1 probe thermometer for all three temps, and it's only 9-13 dollars or so. There is a yellow one at petsmart, and then there is the Accurite brand at walmart.

Hot side- 85-93ish This is air temp.
Cool side- 78-85ish. Also air temp.

I hope this helps!

Lkpickel

Original Poster
That did help some. What size bulb would I need for his future cage that will measure 40"x22"x20"? Just wondering if I would need the 18" or 24" or bigger?

Lkpickel

Original Poster
Thank you all. I have ordered a reptisun 10.0 tube light, Turned the other off for the time being. I replaced the basking bulb(100watts) to a standard clear 60 watt bulb. I found that the 100 watt was getting a little hot on his basking ledge. I also ordered some roaches. Maybe he will eat them. Anything to get him to eat. As of 4pm today he has only ate 1 cricket and turns his nose up to the others i offer. I have tried hand feeding and i put him in another smaller container to feed him and give him about 10-15 min to eat. Could he be getting ready to shed? do their eyes turn milky right before a shed like a snakes do? His eyes are crystal clear.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
milosmom
Top Bottom