New addition to the family...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Embee

Gray-bearded Member
Hey all,

New to the Snake forum. Until a few weeks ago, it's been "all beardie" for our family. But thanks to the local annual reptile expo (where we were to buy NOTHING! :wink: ), we just couldn't resist this little bugger...

The is Drake:

11-03-2009100.jpg

He's so pretty, and soft! Very sweet and mellow and not nearly as shy as I expected him to be. Has been eating well from the start, and has generally endeared himself to us all.

:love5:

The best,
Em

herpfreak

Gray-bearded Member
Awwww, Em, he's the cutest!! :love5: I've never seen a BP patterned like that, he's very pretty. I don't blame you for being unable to resist him!

Embee

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
Thanks all! We are enjoying Drake so much.

herpfreak":14804 said:
Awwww, Em, he's the cutest!! :love5: I've never seen a BP patterned like that, he's very pretty. I don't blame you for being unable to resist him!

My personal opinion is that he is extra pretty, but of course, I'm rather biased! LOL :)

TheWolfmanTom":14804 said:
snakes are much like beardies in the aspect that one just doesnt seem to cut it.
just warning you.

Oh yeah, I'm getting that, Tom! LOL When we went to the reptile expo this year, it was just to look. I swear! Then I saw my husband get distracted by a breeder we know... who happened to have three beauutiful bp hatchlings. DS and I came over and the breeder handed [Drake] to DS and he was so calm and sweet and pretty. DS was in love. Who could resist? Made a quick run to the ATM and the deal was done. Had everything we needed at home (empty viv syndrome at work here) and best part was we were able to find a new 75g for Cloudy on Craigslist within a day or so, and Drake was able to move up to Cloudy's 40 breeder within a few days (the 15g we had him in was no fun... and too hard to maintain temp gradient in). He has been very happy and relaxed in his new home [I assume] as he's been eating so well for us.

Thanks again. I feel like I've graduated to a whole new forum... undiscovered territory! :wink:

The best,
Em

HYPORollo

Juvie Member
very nice em i love bps they are great and its true one just isnt enough trust me i now have 4 and im getting a platinum lesser real soon like in the next month so prepare your self lol but you have a real nice bp very lucky snake couldnt have a better mommy talk to you soon :mrgreen:

zimbabwepegasus

Extreme Poster
Very pretty! Great pattern and so nice to see a stretched out BP

Yeah, snakes are more addictive than beardies!
Their set ups are cheaper and they are less work. Just whatever you do, DO NOT let yourself have an empty cage. It's all over when you have an empty cage...

herpfreak

Gray-bearded Member
zimbabwepegasus":27fe0 said:
Just whatever you do, DO NOT let yourself have an empty cage. It's all over when you have an empty cage...
:lol: Exactly! But then you start getting into sweater box setups, and you convince yourself you can run down to the hardware store as soon as you get home.

Embee

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
herpfreak":2c4da said:
zimbabwepegasus":2c4da said:
Just whatever you do, DO NOT let yourself have an empty cage. It's all over when you have an empty cage...
:lol: Exactly! But then you start getting into sweater box setups, and you convince yourself you can run down to the hardware store as soon as you get home.

LOL! Indeed, empty cage syndrome is a very dangerous thing for people like us. That's how Drake happened to come home with us in the first place. :mrgreen:

HYPORollo":2c4da said:
very nice em i love bps they are great and its true one just isnt enough trust me i now have 4 and im getting a platinum lesser real soon like in the next month so prepare your self lol but you have a real nice bp very lucky snake couldnt have a better mommy talk to you soon :mrgreen:

Ah, thanks! And coming from a seriously doting reptile Dad that means a lot! :D Of course, I'm more of a Grandma than Mom, as DS likes to remind me every so often. :wink:

Drake is doing super! In reading about typical BP behavior, I'd say we got a winner. Drake is definitely on the mellow/relaxed side of things. He comes out of his hide during the day to take a look around and while he can be shy, he is not found in the "ball" position all that often. He's eating well, and made a seamless transition to f/t a couple of weeks ago. All in all, we're just in love with the little guy, who definitely appears to be growing! :)

Thanks all!

Em

Embee

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
Hi Maya,

Drake is doing well. :) He's made a seamless transition to f/t as we hoped and he is apparently a very mellow, seemingly relaxed (well, as much as a BP can be that is) little boy. He has endeared himself to us all. I've been noticing some slight clouding on is eyes and dulling on his head this past week, and the last couple of days, he's been spending more time snuggled up behind his "pond" on the cool end of the tank. I wonder if shedding time is around the corner (wouldn't ya know it, after months of laying low, Cloudy also is going into a rather significant shed... it's going to be quite a mess around here soon). I'll keep ya posted. :mrgreen:

Here are some recent photos:

Hanging with Gibson (doting pet parent):
12-02-09008.jpg

Hanging on his vine:
12-02-09035.jpg

Thanks for checking in. I've been a bit MIA on the site lately. The Holidays are upon us, and there seems to be a bit of a time crunch! Looking forward to checking in with the BD masses soonly!~

The best,
Em

herpfreak

Gray-bearded Member
He's looking great! Always a relief to hear he's doing well on f/t. :D

I just can't get over how gorgeous he is! So much iridescence on his head!

Embee

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
Ah thanks you guys! :mrgreen: He is indeed a very shiny chap! And I think still a ways out from shedding. His eyes are just the slightest big foggy. And when I fed him on Sunday evening, he didn't hesitate. I think the cool side snuggling might have been the equivalent of pouting.... he was definitely hungry! We had been trying every 7 days now that we've got him on true hoppers. I think we might go back to every 5-6 days. Size wise, in looking at his girth, the hoppers are still a good fit. I don't want to up the size of prey for a good bit yet, so perhaps decreasing --nice again--the days in between feeding will help.

Thanks!

Em

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tangel256
Top Bottom