Neurological issues or MBD?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacqqui

All of a sudden my baby Kacey has started doing things like walking on his wrists. He has the proper lighting UVB and UVA. He is about 7 inches from the top near the lights when he wants to be. The general temps are 96-100 for the basking and 85-87 for the cool area.
I have started him on liquid calcium daily based on his weight which was 54g last night.My vet told me to give him .02mg. I'm Shooting it into the hornworms (who aren't happy about that!!) He is gaining weight and eating good. He doesn't eat as much of his greens as I should like but he is still young (3/5/14). He is ADV positive as are all of my others so I'm not sure if its starting to show. He can be active at times and is feisty.
He isn't Stargazing or anything else and he doesn't do it all the time.
Help. Here is an example.

Jacqui

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That is likely the beginnings of calcium issues, but if you have started liquid calcium already then that should hopefully help him out a lot.
Are you using the Reptisun 10 tube bulb for him?
Many times, with Adeno, it will interfere with calcium absorption, too.

How is he doing otherwise?

Tracie

Jacqqui

Original Poster
Sorry for the late response. I have been shooting up the horn worms he eats with liquid calcium from the vet. His light is the reptisun 10.0 he is in a 20 gallon long tank and the light is about 10 inches from him at the furthest. He has a basking lamp that's 100 watts. Now the screen is between him and the lamps. I'm thinking of doing something to raise the level of the floor of the tank so he is closer to the lights as I am aware that the screen degrades the strength of the light. His temps are about 93-100 in the hot area and 85 in the cooler areas. he has a heat emitter for when it was cold. I just weighed him and he is 74 grams. His birthday was around March 5th of this year. His sister who came from a breeder and was definitely born march 5th who also has ADV but was never sickly like he was is 91 grams as I just weighed her. She has the same setup he does.

He is eating like a champ. I have to use rubber coated tongs to put the horn worms in the tank so he doesn't break teeth grabbing them!! I feed them with tongs because the boys have been getting bites of paper towel when the worms grab on to the floor for dear life! He eats his dubia roaches, but I think I will start ordering the phoenix worms again. I had gotten him to finally eat them as he didn't like them at first.
He doesn't eat his greens as much as everyone else. They eat the mustard, collard, turnip, and dandelion green mix. He is gaining weight steadily. Sometimes you can't notice it but other times its real noticeable. He able to grab to get on his hammock and his climbing thingy.

Sometimes he even lays with one arm straight back behind him. He has an appt with the Dr this Wednesday.

Here are pictures of his set up and him

Jacqqui

Original Poster
Esther19":2m6da9r8 said:
It looks like MBD to me. Please explain your proper lighting set-up for us, and let us know how old your UVB bulb is. He's a cutie!

I got paranoid and went out and bought a Mercury Vapor Bulb. I bought an Exo Terra Solar Glo 160w bulb. Since he is in a small tank I have the bulb raised over the tank to make sure the temps stay right. He really took to it right after I put it in.
Is this an acceptable brand/type of bulb? The place i got it from is good about taking things back if its not right.
The pet shop also just had their first time of selling silkworms so I brought some home for everyone. He wouldn't eat his, but I'll try again. I see that the serapeptase is reported to be good for calcium absorption (?).
I don't know if there is anything else I can do for now. Is there?

thanks

Jacqqui

Original Poster
Drache613":2mfl4efb said:
Hello,

That is likely the beginnings of calcium issues, but if you have started liquid calcium already then that should hopefully help him out a lot.
Are you using the Reptisun 10 tube bulb for him?
Many times, with Adeno, it will interfere with calcium absorption, too.

How is he doing otherwise?

Tracie

Tracie

Since I wont know anything until Wednesday after I go to the vet could you move this thread to a more appropriate section, especially as it may be exasperated by his ADV status.

Thanks

Jacqui

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello Jacqui,

Sure, I can move it to the Infectious Disease area if you would like, if he has Adeno?
The Solar Glo MVB bulb is a pretty good bulb. He seemed to like it?
Is the bulb at least 14-16 inches from him since it is a 160watt bulb? I hope he is doing well today. Did he eat anything for you? At least he is gaining weight slowly, which is the best way.
The silkworms should be great for him, has he tried any yet?
I really think you are doing everything you can for him at the moment. He is lucky to have you helping him out. :D
Keep us posted & let me know where you need me to move your thread, too.

Tracie

Jacqqui

Original Poster
Drache613":10ah9sas said:
Hello Jacqui,

Sure, I can move it to the Infectious Disease area if you would like, if he has Adeno?
The Solar Glo MVB bulb is a pretty good bulb. He seemed to like it?
Is the bulb at least 14-16 inches from him since it is a 160watt bulb? I hope he is doing well today. Did he eat anything for you? At least he is gaining weight slowly, which is the best way.
The silkworms should be great for him, has he tried any yet?
I really think you are doing everything you can for him at the moment. He is lucky to have you helping him out. :D
Keep us posted & let me know where you need me to move your thread, too.

Tracie

He's eating fine like a pig!! I do have the light way above his tank due to the wattage like you state. He is gaining weight still but I had to take out his climbing structure and his hammock as he was still getting up there and when he went to go to sleep tonight he fell out of the hammock. He didn't directly fall he caught himself, then kind of slumped down. He gets around the tank but walks very awkwardly like he has little control of his limbs fully. Sometimes he is standing normally.
I took the hammock out first then the climbing thing because he got on it to sleep and I was afraid he would fall.
I don't want him to break anything. he's still feisty and even tried silkworms today and loved them.

I'm really stressed because I don't want him to be in pain and I don't know if he is.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That is a great idea to take the hammock & his log also so he wouldn't fall & hurt himself in case his bones are slightly compromised.
At least he is eating so well right now! I am glad that you have the light mounted safely above the tank. It should be just fine where it is.
At least he enjoyed his silkworms though! He doesn't sound like he is in pain right now, at least based on your description.

Keep us posted on him.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
milosmom
Top Bottom