Needing some advice! And help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Micky604

I'm a new bearded dragon owner an I've done lots of research on my own but my baby bearded dragon is not eating well and it's starting to worry me so here it goes.

I picked him up 6 days ago he is about 3 months old and about 6inches long I currently have him in a 10gallon tank (which I know is small but he is small and will be upgrading it soon) his hot side for basking ranges anywhere from 90f to 100f with his uvb as well the cool side is around 80 I always have fresh water in there and put fresh greens in everyday which he eats on occasion but not always but when it comes to his live feeding which I do 3 times a day for 15mintue periods but he doesn't eat each feeding time he'll maybe eat 1 to 2 crickets a day which I feel is not good and it's starting to worry me abit.. i do dust his crickets every other day he is active during the day and spends most of his time basking and sleeps at night and he is pooping reguraly I just don't know why or what could be causing him not to eat so much any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thank you.

Birdy

Hatchling Member
Hi, does he seem happy(like showing bright, cheery colors. Is he running around and active? Is he showing any signs of being stressed? Maybe it is relocating stress. What brand are his lights,UVB, heat? Would you mind posting a pic of his set up? :Here's how

https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/

YoursTruly

Juvie Member
Micky604":2p2i944u said:
I'm a new bearded dragon owner an I've done lots of research on my own but my baby bearded dragon is not eating well and it's starting to worry me so here it goes.

I picked him up 6 days ago he is about 3 months old and about 6inches long I currently have him in a 10gallon tank (which I know is small but he is small and will be upgrading it soon) As long as you upgrade ASAP to at least a 40 gallon, he will be fine. 10 gallon is too small even for a baby. his hot side for basking ranges anywhere from 90f to 100f with his uvb What kind of UVB? Is it the small compact bulb or a long tube? Also his basking temp should be between 95 and 105. 90 is too low for proper digestion to take place. as well the cool side is around 80 I always have fresh water in there and put fresh greens in everyday which he eats on occasion but not always but when it comes to his live feeding which I do 3 times a day for 15mintue periods but he doesn't eat each feeding time he'll maybe eat 1 to 2 crickets a day which I feel is not good and it's starting to worry me abit Yes this is too low, which leads me back to my last thought that his basking spot is not warm enough. You can remedy this by lowering his basking bulb or purchasing a stronger bulb.. i do dust his crickets every other day What do you dust them with? I alternated days with calcium and multivitamin. he is active during the day and spends most of his time basking and sleeps at night and he is pooping reguraly I just don't know why or what could be causing him not to eat so much any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thank you.

Please let me know if any of my questions need clarifying! :)

As the other poster said, posting a picture of his tank setup would be helpful, as well.

Micky604

Original Poster
I've upgraded him to a 30 gallon long and it's alot shorter tank so it's upped his basking spot to 95 - 110 and for the uvb right now I'm using a exo terra reptile 150 small coil bulb. I sprinkle calcium on his veggies everyday which he still eats on occasion and I dust his crickets 2 times a week with calcium+D3. He has been doing a lot better tho with his eating he's up too at least 10 to 15 crickets a day now which is a lot better then before. I plan on picking up some phoenix worms today as well to add to his daily diet.

YoursTruly

Juvie Member
Okay, just a couple things:

1. 30 gallon is okay for a juvie, but it is too small for an adult. I'd suggest returning it while you can and getting the proper size so you don't have to spend the money twice.

2. He needs a proper UVB. That is likely the problem with his appetite. Even though a pet store probably told you the compact is fine, it is insufficient for bearded dragons. My dragon got an eye infection from one. They need a full-spectrum tube UVB. We recommend the Reptisun 10.0 bulb. You can find it in stores or online.

3. Calcium should be alternated days with a multivitamin. There is such thing as too much calcium, and this can help prevent that. So one day, dust his salad/feeders with multi, and the next, use calcium.

Micky604

Original Poster
I will get the reptisun 10.0 bulb as soon as I can. And just a quick question about the vitamins I have one that is just calcium on its own and another that is calcium +d3 would it be fine to just use the calcium +d3 every other day? Or should I buy a separate multivitamin powder that's doesn't contain calcium and alternate the just calcium and new multivitamin?

If that all makes sense haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beardiemomg
Top Bottom