Need UVB mounting help please :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not sure if I should mount the hood on top of the mesh or on the bottom. Falcor is currently in a 40 gallon breeder & I can't figure out if the UVB is safer on top or mounted to the inside of the screen. Its a t5 Reptisun 10.0 in a Reptisun reflector hood. I also have a Reptisun 5.0 bulb if that would be safer? I'm worried about accidentally hurting him by having having too much UVB too close to his basking spots.

Nobody panic & think I'm roasting my little pancake by having so many heat sources; I check temps with an infrared heat gun held about 2 inches away from what I'm measuring every few hours to make sure I'm not :) I keep my apartment around 62-64 degrees so more heat than most of you use is necessary to keep him warm enough. The CHE is mainly used at night to keep him from freezing to death but I've had to move it up to the middle & crank it about halfway up a couple of times to raise his main basking spot temp to 105°. The cool side runs in the low to mid 80s during the day.

I guess that brings me to my second question. Where can I find a reasonably priced thermostat for the CHE & how do I set it up? Also, how do I take temps on the hammocks with a temp gun? I can't figure out how to get an accurate reading because the red beam goes through the mesh.

95829-3984913463.jpg
95829-3630683851.jpg
95829-9598859292.jpg
95829-8784827059.jpg
95829-4187926226.jpg
95829-6960437312.jpg

Stats:
•40 gallon breeder tank with mesh screen lid
•24" Reptisun T5 HO Terrarium hood with Reptisun 10.0 bulb
•Zoo Med Mini Deep Dome Fixture with a 100 watt basking bulb & a 50 watt basking bulb.
•Single small dome fixture with a 75 watt heat bulb.
•150 watt CHE--fixture has a dimmer switch & is mainly used at night.
•Infrared temp gun used about 2 inches from whatever I'm measuring. I've tested it against pet store heat guns & it's accurate.

He pooped twice Thursday after we brought him home, once yesterday, & nothing today. I tried setting up a large plastic tote with shelf liner on the bottom as a separate feeding spot but that didn't work; my little pancake flipped out & frantically tried to escape. He's eating what I guess is normally? I feed him 3x/day by giving him as many bugs as he wants over 15 min & leave his salad bowl out until I turn his lights off. He usually goes for 6-10 critters at every meal & the first round of the day is calcium dusted. I had to get crickets (God I hate crickets!), wax worms, & tiny little mealworms to hold him over until my Dubias get delivered in a few days. I wanted calciworms but the pet store was sold out. The wax & mealworms are getting ditched as soon as the roaches get here. He actually eats some of his salad throughout the day so that's good. So far it's just been a collards/mustards/turnip/kale leafy green mix & acorn squash but I am gonna at to it & vary it more. I feel he should probably be eating a little more than he does but his tail is going into a shed & I know that can affect their appetite.

He's alert, very active, & extremely friendly. He's already jumping into my hand when I reach into the tank :)

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
If you have wide hole screen on the top mesh you can leave the T 10.0 on top ------- which I would leave the T 10.0 in -- if you change it out to the 5.0 bulb you will need to put it in the tank ---- a T 10.0 bulb can be 10-11 inches from the spot --- it is a much stronger bulb-- than the T 5.0--
Karrie

reereejugs

Original Poster
95829-6702994406.jpg

That's a pic of the mesh next to the single dome from maybe 6 inches away. It's this one: https://www.petsmart.com/reptile/habitats-and-decor/habitat-accessories/zilla-fresh-air-terrarium-reptile-cover-5124466.html?utm_id=500%7Cpg94584%7C317949894948&gclid=Cj0KCQjwyoHlBRCNARIsAFjKJ6A9IAubVBOCYRZZZ6muTMgqbJnOgAKFGq7Vwd46Zrz5oEJ1BKbXRUMaAllOEALw_wcB&lsft=utm_source%3Agoogle%2Cutm_term%3A5124466%2Cutm_medium%3Acpc%2Cutm_content%3AGSC%20-%20Medium%20-%20Specialty%20-%20Reptile%20%7C%20Habitats%20&utm_medium=cpc

I know the 10.0 is stronger & that's what I'm worried about. On top of the mesh it sits about 10 in. above the basking side hammock, 10 in. above the cactus but slightly diagonal, 9 in. from the highest part of the branch on the cool side, & 13 in. diagonally above the basking side hide. Is the reflector hood to stay on top of the mesh or do you think I should move it inside? I'm really worried about it being too close & hurting him. I'm also terrified of MBD from it being too far away/too weak from the mesh blocking some of the UVB.

I just lost my sweet rescue dragon to MBD & possibly atadenovirus not even a month ago after spending about 6 months syringe feeding him Critical Care per vet instructions after he became anorexic followed by another 6 months or so of feeding him calcium dusted baby food on a baby spoon twice/day. I never meant to become attached because he was all jacked up from what should be criminally negligent husbandry the first 8 months-ish of his life & I figured he wouldn't last long. He was my first reptile, taking him in was a spur of the moment thing, & I made plenty of my own mistakes while researching proper husbandry but I did the best I could. I miss him like crazy. I'm trying not to make any mistakes with this little pancake because I want him to live his best life & I don't want to go through what I did with Lester again. Too painful, probably for both of us, at least toward the end. I had the hood mounted inside when he was alive because he couldn't climb & on top it would've been 13-14 in. from his basking spot. I thoroughly disinfected the tank with bleach water 3 times by leaving 2 in. of it in the bottom of the tank for 6 hrs. each time & washing it up the sides & top with the bleach water every half hour each time. The screen lid & tile were soaked in bleach water for the same amount of time then put in the oven on 350° afterward each time. I threw away his wooden log but kept the bigger hide in the back after soaking it in it bleach water for 10 hrs. each time. The fixtures were all repeatedly wiped down with bleach water. After all that was finished I shop vac'd the water out, let it sit for a day, then went over everything with white vinegar before letting it sit for over 3 weeks. I found the instructions online but modified them for longer time & 2 extra soaks. I hope I did ok.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
If you're using the t5 HO bulb on the screen is fine. I wouldn't use a 5.0 for dragons at all. It's not strong enough and suited more for tropical creatures.

-Brandon

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Going by what Brandon said is it a 5.0 HO or a regular 5.0? Either way I would stay w/ the 10.0 and yes its wide screen so it should be strong enough --- you will know if its too strong in the tank cuz he will be going to hide to get away from those rays---
Karrie

reereejugs

Original Poster
Thank guys :)

I figured the t5 5.0 wouldn't be strong enough even mounted inside but thought I'd doublecheck with more experienced owners. I only have it because it came with the fixture.

reereejugs

Original Poster
KarrieRee":1xmapi68 said:
From what I understand it's equivalent to the T8--
Karrie

Is it? Good to know. I guess if my 10.0 ever burns out before replacement time I can just mount the t5 inside while I wait for a new bulb to come in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hitclubhomes1
Top Bottom