Need tips on giving beardie his medicine

Status
Not open for further replies.

LolliLoo

My beardie has mbd and i have to give him liquid calcium.The first couple times worked. I have a syringe and use it to give him his dose. I usually hold him with my arm/hand wrapped in a towel. I than would wiggle the syringe between his lips on the side of his mouth and run it up and he usually will open his mouth. But lately i do the same and his teeth just block the way. No matter what i do he will not open his mouth! Any tips for helping me open his mouth?

(I accidently posted this in the wrong section idk how to move it)

dolcedragon

Sub-Adult Member
I'm sorry to hear your beardie has MBD. He may not like the taste and recognizes the routine so will keep his mouth shut. I've found that if you have the syringe ready and hidden, and then offer a tasty worm (or whatever his fave treat is) you should be able to sneak the syringe in while he's chewing and distracted. Just be careful with this method that you aren't shooting it straight to the back of the throat; you aren't trying to choke your lizard or get the stuff in his lungs! Also, I would not do the same thing every time so it's expected... for example, if I usually took my beardie out and put them on a towel for med time, I would sometimes just take them out on the towel to be petted. That way he shouldn't be dreading it and clenching his mouth shut.
Don't worry about the wrong forum. A moderator can move that for you.
Good luck!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I moved your thread for you. :D
Will he not lick the liquid straight off of his lips from dropping it onto the end of his mouth with the syringe for you?
How bad is his metabolic bone disease? Which UVB are you using for him?
I hope that he improves for you. Do you have any pictures of him for us?
Let us know how he is doing.

Tracie

LolliLoo

Original Poster
His MBD is early, so the vet said if i give him his medicine, collard greens, mustard greens, calcium dusted crickets, and 12 hrs of UVB light each day, I can reverse it and have him walk normally again. But she said it will take months before I see any improvements. The MBD started on his back knees causing him to drag his back legs. He still props himself up on his front legs though which the vet said is a good sign. I am using the reptisun UVB 10.0 straight bulb.

Past couple days i have been putting the medicine in his lips, and he licks it up. But I'm not sure how effective that is. When he does open his mouth I just squirt it on his tongue, not the back of his throat.

Thank you for the tips, I'll try to switch up the routine! :) I'll let you know how he does today.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Panthercat
Top Bottom