Need some opinions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

XiDiS

Juvie Member
I have been wanting a beardie for quite some time and have done a ton of research on them. My question is as a first time lizard owner would i be better to start with a 1 year old dragon (who looks very healthy and has been well taken care of) or a 4 month old juvie? I am sure once i get one i will want another (i have a few fish tank, once i got one it turned into three lol) and figure once i have some 'hands on knowledge' a juvie might be a lil easier to handle. What do you think?

doe222

Juvie Member
Just start off with a baby and grow up with them. I recomend a petsmart or petco beardie because they are the ones who really need the saving. They come very young these days. Petsmart says oh they are 2 months old. Id be surprised if they were older than 2 weeks. My petsmart beardie is amazing and i love him. Just like all animals theres just that connection between you and your beardie if gotten while young and being its first owner. Its good to learn with your beardie and with this site it is very possible to raise one from under a month. I cant tell you how many times i came on here with dumb questions but everyone answerd them anyways. Get a baby. Before you get one though have its vivarium set up and have someone on here run you through it to make sure you got everything you need. With a baby IMO its good to keep them in a small viv untill around 4-5in. Like a 10 gallon. Or in the viv your going to have him in but with a divvider. When that young they have a problem finding crickets in bigger cages, and you can have a hard time finding him. Heres a few basics.
10.0 Reptisun UVB tube or 12% arcadia uvb tube are the most recomended UVB sources. Alot of others can cause eye problems.
Basking temp of 100-110 (for babies, more near 110) Regular house bulbs will do fine you do not need special reptile ones, as long as you get require temps.
Cool side of 70-80
No coil bulbs
No night bulb, if night heat is needed use a ceramic heat emitter.
40long is the is the minimum recomended aquarium. 55gallon is ...ok but little narrow.

CamoLover

Hatchling Member
I would say go with what you think is best for you. If you feel comfortable with owning a baby it is a lot of fun having them grow up with you, but if your not sure go with an older beardie. I am a hands on learning kind of person and I worry like there is no tomorrow and I work a lot so I started with a 4 month old and she loves me just as much as I love her and if I would have raised her up myself. Older beardies to me are just as good as baby's. My new guy is 2 years old and after just 4 days he already loves just chilling out with me. So as long as they have been cared for well an older beardies are just as good. And like Doe222 said. If you have any questions feel free to ask.

They are addicting xD
I now have 4 beardies
1 baby who I love to death!!! And I love watching him grow
2 juvies one of the dragons I told you about and another a rescue
1 adult my new guy

Mariah94

Juvie Member
It depends on you. A baby will be more expensive than an adult. They eat a lot. And I mean a lot. I spend 60+ a week alone in food.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beardiemomg
Top Bottom