Need some opinions!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hellstrom

Hatchling Member
I know everyone has one! You know what they say... :wink:

So, I'm considering breeding next spring (cornsnakes, but that's not really relevant). I was wanting to know if you were hypothetically going to buy a baby reptile, would you be willing to sign a care contract? The contract would state that you will provide everything specified in the care sheet (that comes with the baby) and take care of the reptile to the best of your ability. If you were ever in a situation when you could no longer provide said care, you would contact me so I could have first dibs on getting it back or so we could work together to find a proper home.

It would be obviously difficult to enforce, but I also figure it will scare away people who aren't serious and don't understand what they are getting into. I could be wrong about that too though...Let me know your honest opinions!!!

So what do you think??? Would you sign it???

articwolfgirl

Juvie Member
I would probaly sign it though in my own opioion I wouldnt buy it unless i could afford to take care off it, or if said sitution came up i would rehome it myself

Hellstrom

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Yeah, that makes sense...

I would love the people that buy the babies to be half as caring as the everyone on this site!

Gail

BD.org Addict
Honestly, no I wouldn't sign it. What I do with a pet after I buy it is my business, the breeder no longer has any say in what I do with my pet.

drgnfly2265

Sub-Adult Member
The good-

That would be a good idea if there were someway to make sure that they do what they signed for. It is an interesting thing to do because so many people buy a reptile without knowing all of the details that they need and need to do, and also buy new reptiles on a spur of the moment (thats me). Seeing all of the details that the guy left out, I would have thought twice about it. But I know I would have still bought Midna because she was my little rescue :wink:

I like the idea of if they couldn't keep it then you would get first dibs or you would help them find a new home. Then that would help a little with pets being let loose in the wild and would help pets find a home.

The bad-

One thing that I wouldn't like about it is that once I bought the pet then that means that the pet is mine. I wouldn't want anyone telling me what I "must" do with my property. I dont think that some people will being told that. I love coming on here and asking for advice (it has helped me a lot!), but it doesn't mean that I'm forced to do it. I am able to do research and see what methods I approve of.

And what if the person that i got my beardie from made me sign something that said that I had to use sand for bedding, feed my beadie only greens, and other stuff like that? Then I would have never thought that I had to search for what was best to use. Although I know that your information would be a lot better than what I got from what I have read on here that you have wrote :D

Also I think that you would lose the business that you would get. It might scare away people and you would lose the chance to inform them properly about what to do.

Sooo-

Instead of having someone sign something, what if you print out all of the information of what they need on a piece of paper and give it to them when they buy the critter? And of course before hand so they know what they are getting into.

Well, I hope that I didn't blabber too much. I would sign it as long as there weren't some outrageous stuff on it. I just wanted to give you the goods and bads of the subject. And of course, it's just my opinion. Good luck with it :blob5:

Hellstrom

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thanks for the honest opinions! Gail - that's totally legit and I was wondering the same thing. Dragonfly, very helpful!!! lol I'm already putting my information at the end of the caresheet (that I'm writing) so they can contact me with any questions, concerns, etc. I'm most likely going to add a paragraph or so at the end saying that they can always come to me if there's a problem or they can't keep it for any reason without being judged. I think that might be the best of both worlds...

drgnfly2265":2pw0ion6 said:
Although I know that your information would be a lot better than what I got from what I have read on here that you have wrote :D
Aww Thanks!!! :D

dragonxxxx

Hatchling Member
I don't know if I would sign or not. There is something like that when you get a dog or cat from the pound or from a rescue. You answer questions like if you can't take care of the animal what would you do, how long do you plan on keeping it, would you just give it away for any reason, if the animal gets sick what would you do, do you have the money for food or vets etc. You have to answer and sign, I don't know how well that system works because it's hard to monitor once you leave with the animal. Whether signing a care contract would make a person more responsible is hard to say, hopefully it would.

squirell

Hatchling Member
I wouldnt sign a care contract. But I would sign something along the lines of a Care Sheet stating that I have the proper equipment and essential knowledge to take care of the animal in order to purchase it.

bambichik39

Juvie Member
I'm not sure if I would sign a contract or not. I would personally just make a really good care guide, and let them know that if at any time they need to rehome the animal and can't find it a good home, then you are willing to take it back. It'd be really hard to tell if they did rehome it or not, but some people move, etc and can find good homes for the animals without giving it back. I'd try to make it easy and educational, not difficult or people will go elsewhere. I know I was at a reptile show one time and there were theses breeders there with uromastyx's. They had food there that they make for sale, with a list of specifics for making it, a 40 breeder giving example of how to set up a proper tank, examples of lights, hides, etc. They had an example of all ages, and a huge information packet they made telling you about the animal and how to care for it. I know that because of that I"d personally look them up if I ever did decide to get a uromastyx (can't afford it now). I think if you go above and beyond on your care and presentation of the animal, you'll only attract good owners (hopefully). Goodluck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beardiemomg
Top Bottom