Need some info

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drayco75

Hatchling Member
I have two baby Beardies had them for 10 days i bought them from Petsmart they have only eaten 4 times since ive had them ( about 12 - 15 crickets each and about 4 mealworms each in that time span ) They wont even touch salad. They are alert but 98% of the there time is spent in there basking area. They are housed in a 29 gallon long tank, I started the basking area with a All Livingthing's Neodymium 100 watt UVA basking bulb but it would only get the basking area to 95 degrees to 97 degrees at the highest part of the basking area and around 85 degrees to 88 degrees at the lowest part so i added a Sun Glow Desert & Tropical Neodymium 150 watt UVA bulb now it hits 120 degrees to 125+ degrees at the highest part of the basking area and around 105 degrees to 109 degrees at the lowest part of the basking area. Along with the heat lamps i also have a medium under tank heating pad on the basking area side. I also have a Repti Glo 5.0 26 watt UVB bulb wich is in the middle of the tank. So basicly my question is are they just being picky & stuburn eaters or is my set up wrong? :blob8:

twinmommy

First off, you need to separate them asap. This link can explain it the best.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=154908

Next, mealworms are not recommended due to a big risk of impaction. Beautifuldragons.com has great info on feeding. It is normal for babies to ignore their salad but keep offering it daily. Any food offered should be no bigger than the space between their eyes.

I don't have any experience with those basking lights but your basking spot should be a constant 105-110. You may need to raise your light to achieve the right temps. You can use regular, clear household light bulbs instead of expensive bulbs from the pet store. You do not need to use a UTH because Beardies sense heat from above and they can actually result in burns on the belly. Are you using a temp probe or temp gun to measure temps? Either of these 2 methods are acceptable.

You will need a different UVB. The Repti-SUN 10.0 can be purchased at petmountain.com. this is the least expensive place to purchase it. It and the Arcadia bulbs are really the only ones recommended on this site. Other bulbs don't emit the proper UVB wavelengths and can cause health issues.

Are you bathing them at all?

And FYI, a 40 gallon tank is the minimum size for an adult or once they reach about 12 inches or so.

Good luck, I hope you can get some of these changes made soon!

Drayco75

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thx Twinmommy i keep getting mixed answers about housing them some people say that they are fine together aslong as there male and female or female and female but i will seperate them as soon as i can get another tank. i know mealworms cause impaction when i feed them mealworms i look for the freshly sheaded mealworms in the cup that way there shell is soft, soon will be using pheonix worms. The temp at the lower basking area is between 105 - 109 degrees and hotter higher up is that ok or should i remove a bulb? The UTH is covered by repti carpet and has a thick granit rock on top of it so there not laying directly on the UTH. Im using a round thermo that sticks on the glass but soon will have a temp gun. I give them daily baths for 5 - 8 min while im making there salad. The tank is a bit small i know but for there size is ok right? :blob8:

ElGuapo

My beardies were definately unable to be together because of definate signs of aggression. (they were so small that i couldn't tell what sex they were) I only had one 55 gal tank so i took a piece of glass from a picture frame and taped it to section off a piece of the tank until i could get another set up. Not sure if this helps but just a quick fix idea if you need to seperate them :) My littlest one will only eat when i feed him with the tweezers, he doesn't want to chase them. And god forbide he eats his greens!

Drayco75

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thx for the advice ElGuapo i have a oldschool 80 gallon plexi glass aqarium that i use to house desert iquanas in but its hard to see inside of it do to sun damage lol. If they start to be aggresive ill make my brother take his female out so my male can have the whole tank to himself. :blob8:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beardiemomg
Top Bottom