need some advice, beardy with gout

Status
Not open for further replies.

sobotta

Hatchling Member
So we found out a few months ago that 1 of our dragons has gout and was put on allopurinol that helped lower her uric acid levels at first. After 3 months she was re checked and the uric acid levels are going back up and her joints are very swollen and seem to be very painful. The vet put her on a anti inflamatory but the swelling is getting worse. The vet wants to put her on even more meds and hope that it works. My dragon is misserable when we have to give her the meds, has trouble walking around, doesn't always eat properly. Im thinking that it may be best to have her put down but I can't afford it...anyone got any ideas?

MissT

BD.org Addict
There is another ER thread about a beardie with gout. There is some great advice in there. I will take a look for it and post it here so that you can see the different treatments that are being used there :D

MissT

BD.org Addict
Here is the thread

viewtopic.php?f=45&t=144523

Gout discussions really begin around the middle/end of page 3.

I know that treatments include allopurinol, black cherry juice and I think Squishy was on metacam too (for pain).

Hopefully, Tracie will see this thread as she has a lot more knowledge about gout and can advise you more specifically on what you are experiencing.

For reference, do you know what meds it is that your vet wants to begin using?
Do you have copies of the blood reports? It would be helpful for others looking at this to be able to review the test results if you can get them :)

sobotta

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
She is on allopurinol and metacam right now, I don't remember the new med he wants to put her on but the most recent blood test said ur uric acid count was back up to 19. And her knees and ankles are swollen so bad she can barely move them, im just wondering if I should have her put down because she seems so miserable

MissT

BD.org Addict
I see that oral fluids are important in gout treatment too. Have you looked into that?

sobotta

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
After I give her meds I give her a bath and she drinks quite a bit of water while she is in it

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I am so sorry that your dragon has gout & the uric acid levels are that high. At 19, that is near renal failure conditions. If you don't feel comfortable posting pictures here, I can give you my email if you would like to send them to me.
Do you know what the dose of the allopurinol is, etc? Do you mix it up or does the vet?
You might want to try the Colochicine for swelling instead of the metacam. The metacam is not good for long term use.

When they have gout, it is a good idea to decrease protein on a regular basis as well as increase oral fluids. How much fluids do you give daily? I highly suggest 6-8mls, daily, along with the meds & greens, veggies etc. The protein or feeders should be at a minimum of no more than 20 per week really.
I have successfully treated & am now maintaining a dragon that has gout & has been on medication for over 2 years now. So I know it can be done, if caught early.
The Blackcherry juice would be a good idea to add, as it can be helpful in breaking down uric acid as well.
I can PM you my email, as I would like to help out in your case.

Tracie

sobotta

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I do not have a computer anymore so I can't really post pictures right now. Her dose of allopurinol is .25 ml and the metacam is .03ml fluids are anywhere between 5ml and 10ml daily and she gets fresh greens.l uric acid levels were over 40, in 2 weeks they dropped down to 4 but went back up to 19 and the joint swelling is getting really bad

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Thanks. Did you take her off of the allopurinol for that time & then her uric acid levels started going up?
Once they have gout, they will always have gout & will need to be on medication, for life. The maintenance level is very low however, but it is necessary for the kidney.
Good, the oral fluids are fine. How much protein do you give daily?
What is the concentration of the medication, do you know, & what is the weight of your dragon?
What is the supplementation schedule of the calcium & any other vitamins given?

Tracie

sobotta

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
All of our dragons get crickets about once or twice a week, I am not sure about the concentration of the allopurinol but she was on it the entire time and her counts went up. She was taken off of the calcium because her calcium counts were too high

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Thanks for the information.
What other readings were high on her blood test? If you have the blood test copy that would be great if you could send it to me.
How is she doing today?
Were you giving a good amount of fluids while she was on the allopurinol, initially? Something else is causing her levels to rise possibly. What type of UVB light is being used right now?
Since the calcium levels were so high she may not be absorbing her calcium properly which will increase the blood serum levels of calcium.
Keep pushing the fluids for her. If you can come up with a concentration on the allopurinol, you can just email it to me, also.
Thanks.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J.sobrero
Top Bottom