Need Info what kind of roaches should I get?

Status
Not open for further replies.

erdeem

Hatchling Member
Hi all!
I would like to start colony of roaches for my 3 months Bearded Dragon. Would you please give me some basic info on how to start the colony? I'm looking for kind of roaches that does not smell, cannot climb, easy to take care of, and if possible the kind that does not so "look a like" ordinary roaches. What kind should I get? How many of them should I buy? Thanks a lot.

INCA

Hatchling Member
You should get DUBIAS!! they dont climb and a great roach. they are a little slow to get going so you may want to buy at least 200 adults to get the colony going. I have mine set up like this: a colored 32 gallon rubbermaide with eggcrates on one side with a heat pad under it, but make sure it isnt the auto shut off. then on the other side put some water crystals and some high protein food and give it about 5 months and you should have ALOT of them.

patrickb

Juvie Member
I agree with both of the above posters. Dubia are going to be your ultimate roach of choice, but they are a slower breeder and it will take you sometime to get them established, unless you can afford to buy a large number of adult females up from. Somewhere around 70 adult females is probably what you would need right now, and that is a huge upfront investment.

The Turks that clear mentioned are very fast breeders and meet all of your criteria except that they do look like a roach by all means. They are about the same price as bulk crickets, so you could order them now and use them as a direct replacement for crickets. Start with 2k of them if you choose this route and reserve 1k of them for breeding only. They should be producing good numbers for you within 4 months if you keep them nice and warm. Feed off the additional 1k you bought and order more of them if you need feeders still while the breeding 1k get going.

With all that said, I recommend you start with the Turks and use them as a cricket replacement and at the same time, order a medium sized starter colony of Dubia and start working on establishing that colony. By the time they do get established, your beardie will probably be slowing down on how many feeders he/she is eating or at least getting close to that point.

fresnowitte

BD.org Sicko
I have Turks and they really aren't as bad as most think as far as looking like your household roach. They did take a little while to get use to but I think any roach would. I have over 30,000 in my kitchen, :lol: but every last one is contained. Plus a few more thousand on my indoor porch. I bought 1000 in March and have been able to feed all 9 of my beardies, a couple of clutches, and my friends beardies too. They thrive well!

There's alot of comfort in knowing that I haven't had any escapees thus far an I started my colony in March.
Escapees was my biggest fear!

brunoboy

I'd totally have to agree with dubias. They are an awesome roach------easy to keep, no smell, can't climb glass or plastic and they are sorta slow movers.

I started out with lobsters----they are a slightly better feeder and breed very quickly---but they can climb anything and are quick. I live in an apartment and couldn't get over the paranoia of some getting out. :shock: So I got rid of my colony.

Dubias are my favorite. Once they start to get established they sort of explode in numbers. I love how they look too----they are kinda like an ant farm for an adult. :D ...if you like bugs, that is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lunalane827
Top Bottom