Need immediate response--Dragon ate Hornworm from Garden

Status
Not open for further replies.

discojan

Juvie Member
My big girl just ate a hornworm from the garden. She was in the bed with collard greens at the time, but by the time I caught her chomping it was too far down her throat to get it out.

How poisonous are wild hornworms? We already called the vet, but wanted to know what I can do in the meanwhile? She is active and hungry...Please help!!!!

spurlee01

BD.org Addict
I know with fireflies you want to get charcoal in, but I don't know if this would be the same. Hoping for the best. Do you take her to Pennyroyal?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That would be my first suggestion, using some activated charcoal if you have some. Usually you can find it at a drug store, also.
Can you get her in to see the vet today, or not until tomorrow?
Has her beard turned black at all yet?

Tracie

discojan

Juvie Member
Original Poster
We spoke with our vet and the national pet poison control, who said that one wild hornworm should be ok for a lizard of Electra's size. She is still blackbearding about me putting my finger in her mouth trying to snatch out the wild hornworm, but other than that, she seems ok. Fingers crossed.

discojan

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Hi all,

Yes we take them both to Pennyroyal. Pennyroyal vet said not to worry. Electra initially blackbearded when I put my finger in to try and grab the worm (who wouldn't!), but she is now back to her happy self. Basking... Both our vet and the Pet Poison Control line we called said one hornworm shouldn't be a problem for a lizard Electra's size. We've had our hand's full with Salsa's poop strike and bad experience with an enema. I can pick up some activated charcoal if necessary. Will it make her vomit or just provide an alkaline offset to the acid?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

The activated charcoal shouldn't make her vomit, but just balance out her system a little in case there are toxins in her system.
Be sure to just keep her hydrated during this so it will circulate through her system more efficiently. As large as she is technically, she should be ok, but taking precautions is always a good idea.
I am sure she was mad about you trying to get the worm out of her mouth!

Tracie

discojan

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Hi Tracie,
How much of the activated charcoal should I feed her? And should I get her to eat it? She's blackbearding a little bit now, but still active and alert. Many thanks, Jan

discojan

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Thanks for checking up on her. She's sleeping now, no blackbeard. We bought some charcoal, but I didn't know how to administer it, so I"ve got it on hand, but not sure what to do with the capsules. She did make a second poop today, after eating the wild worm, so hopefully it's on it's way out.

We really appreciate your concern!

discojan

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Oh dear, our poor girl is blackbearding in her sleep. Her belly seems full of gas :( We've got her on a heating pad set to low. I've got charcoal, though I fear it is too late to relieve her pain. How do I administer it? Feeling like a bad lizard mommy and hoping my girl feels better soon.

Mach10X

Hatchling Member
According to http://www.justanswer.com/pet-reptile/1gi01-administer-activated-charcoal-bearded-dragon.html
You can administer the activated charcoal in a slurry with an oral syringe. A slurry would be prepared by making sure the activated carbon is finely crushed then mixed with water (or even olive oil I believe). However the site states that it is safer for a vet to pipe it directly to the stomach using a tube. Is your dragon good about taking oral medications?

discojan

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Thanks Mach10X,

My partner stayed up with her throughout the night,watching her sleep. Thankfully this morning, she is all orange beardie. I'm taking her out in the sun to help her relieve herself of the poison. Many, many thanks for the charcoal slurry suggestion. We'll keep you all posted. We're hoping for a nice big poop this morning!

discojan

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Whew, I think we're in the clear. Electra made a giant poop this morning, and has her regular appetite. Thanks to everyone for your concern and advice!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mysticsalten
Top Bottom