Need immediate help with this

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeschardies

Hatchling Member
Lowes will have a fixture. I'm just not sure if it will need to be wired up. You may need to wire an extention cord to the ballast yourself, but you can ask them if they have anything to acommodate you. Ask them if they have one already wired with a plug on it I you're not comfortable doing it. I believe the fixture that require wiring yourself are considered "direct wire" fixtures.

Good luck!

JazzyDragon

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I ordered the Repti-Sun 10.0 and I got the fixture to fit a 2 ft bulb at Lowes. Hope I got the right kind. It says flip up socket, tool-less entry, T12 lamps, linear disconnect. Its by Metalux and is called Cooper lighting. 2 ft 1 lamp striplight.

From this info, can someone tell me if I got the right one for a 24 in Reptisun 10.0? I really hope so. The only other one was a T8? I have no idea what that means though. Thanks!

Also, I found the Acurite digital Thermometer at Lowes in the indoor garden section and it was also $12. Now what do I do with it? lol How should I apply it to the tank. What area, how high how low, do I leave it there permanently? etc. If anyone has a pic of how their thermo is placed in their viv I'd appreciate the visual. Thanks!

ClydesGirl

Sub-Adult Member
I believe the ReptiSuns are T8 bulbs, so you may have to go back to Lowes and get the other fixture, unfortunately. As for your thermometer, you can either just set it on the viv floor (it has a little flip-out stand on the back) or you can mount it to the viv wall using a 3M adhesive picture hanger (that's what I did). The probe itself has a little peel and stick backing and you just want to stick it on or near your basking spot.

JazzyDragon

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
crap ok need to exchange the fixture... And need to mess around with the thermometer! Thanks! Ugh! I feel so ditsy right now. Like in a fog. Too much info right off the bat.

jeschardies

Hatchling Member
You're almost done! Just think, once you're done, you can sit back and relax. No more worrying about lighting or temps, and your beardie will appreciate all the hard work you've put into this.
Glad to see its all come together for you. I think we all have gone through the same things with our first beardie. Maybe you will have the opportunity to help out someone else down the road with their needs....

Good luck....

JazzyDragon

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I can't wait!!! Seriously...Can't wait!

I bought the Reptisun from petmountain.com and paid for expedited shipping. How long an he go without it? I'm worried it will take too long to get here. I could leave the other one on for now but I do need to return it ASAP if I want a refund.

One other thing... Jazzy keeps jumping off his log at the glass. This seems odd to me. Any thoughts as to why. He just really seems to want out. If you sit by the glass he comes up and is really interested in whats going on. Its like he really wants out. But if you put your hand it, he tolerates being touched and will eat from your hand. But he doesn't want to be picked up. I'm confused..

jeschardies

Hatchling Member
Sometimes they will see their own reflection, or in this case maybe a reflection of the furniture in his enclosure. We had the same problem. We tried the background paper first, but she then tried to jump onto the rocks in the background. We ended up using blinds. They cover three of the sides to reduce stress and keep her from seeing what isn't really there. You can try a few different things, but my fiance liked the way this looks and has actually done our other beardie's enclosure much the same....

20100418_175.jpg

The main differences now are the hammock is on the hot side and the wood and towel came out. She is much bigger and doesn't need to be crowded. It's simple and functional with her basking platform, hammock and wood hide. Downside to these blinds is that crix can get out. We feed our beardies in a separate bin so its not a big deal for us, but if we put crix in the enclosure, they'd be out in a jiff. Same goes for the beardie though. They are bigger now and don't climb it, but when they were young they would sure try to climb out....

JazzyDragon

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I think I'm having the same problem now that you mention that! It makes sense. We have the screen over the top so the crix can't get out! Ack! I hate crix soo much! My husband has to feed them cuz it creeps me out! Weird right? LOL

OK so Lowes and Home Depot don't carry the fixtures for the Reptisun anymore. Nothing will fit and I don't have time to keep searching so I just paid a butt ton for the one online that goes with it. Oh well I don't care anymore. Just wanna be done! So once the reptisun stuff gets here, I'm DONE!!!

He's in the new viv and he's sooooo much more active and curious. I think he's happy! He eats like a pig thought! Sheesh! He ate like 7 crix today and pooped a TON! Hmmm is that too many. I have no idea how much is too much? The crix were all gut loaded also. I'll post some pics of his new life!

Before:
Alfalfa pellets in 20 gal
Black light, flourescent coil light, and blue basking bulb giving a
Zilla standard thermometer and humity monitor *105 degree hot spot (humidity 10%)
Branch and log basking and climbing accessories and green plant decor
Food and water dish
100_4105.jpg

After:
6X6 slate tile floor in 40 gal breeder with cool background ;)
24 inch Repti-sun 10.0 with fixture and 100 watt basking bulb
Acurite digital thermometer *104 degree hot spot (humidity 52%? ) Seems too high?
Green stairs and basking platform with plant decor, Branch and log basking and climbing accessories, and of coarse the Triceratops aquarium accessory thanks to my 4 year old son who is obsessed with all things Dinosaur!
Food and water dish
The Zilla one is in here too cuz I was just comparing between the Acurite. The temps are the same but the humidity is about a 20% difference...
100_4247.jpg

100_4248.jpg

100_4249.jpg

100_4250.jpg

jeschardies

Hatchling Member
Looks awesome!
Just make sure that your beardie can get within 6-8 inches of the Reptisun. If you have a hood fixture, this may require you to raise his basking spot. The basking spot and the UVB should both be represented at the basking spot.
Glad to see your improvements. I was sent home with pellets at first too, I guess because its what most stores use.....you'll love having the tiles. Be sure to clean your spares so that you can swap 'em out with the soiled ones soon.....hahaha

JazzyDragon

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
The basking spot where it is is set at 105 degrees. Does it really need to be closer? He doesn't even go up as high as he could. I think its about 8-10 inches away. I'll have to measure. But if he gets closer, won't it cook him?

I didn't buy extra tiles... :( And some were broken in the box. But I'll buy more later. I'm too lazy to exchange them. I'm tired of Lowes. lol

JazzyDragon

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
oh wait I see...you dont mean the basking spot has to be 6 inches from the actual heat source but from the UV stuff. I don't have the reptisun yet but its on its way. I do have it as a hood fixture. I'm afraid it'll be too hot if I raise it. Does everything have to be raised within 6 inches? Cuz when he isn't basking, will he not be able to benefit from the UV? Or is it just when he's basking that he really needs it? I don't entirely understand all the lighting stuff even though everyone has tried so hard to help me.

jeschardies

Hatchling Member
You want the UV (Reptisun) and the basking bulb to overlap so when he is basking in the heat, he is also receiving the UVB rays. The bulb can cover 1/2 - 2/3 of the tank so that he can get out of the UV rays if needed. It is going to mess thing up a bit by having to raise the basking spot, but if you are using a dome, you may be able to just clamp it on the tank and point it from further away.
Just re-read your post, you had 104* temps at the basking spot. you may be able to get high enough without moving the heat bulb. Young beardies are recommended to have a basking spot of 100*-110* which may give you enough room to play....

Hope that works out!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Critter Guy
Top Bottom