Need immediate help with this

Status
Not open for further replies.

JazzyDragon

Hatchling Member
OK so we purchased the Zilla bearded dragon kit deluxe kit. After all the terrible comments about the items that came with it, I've decided to upgrade to a 55 gal tank as well as changing out all the lighting and everything. Then once I get the new tank set up, I've already spoken to Petco and they've agreed to let me return the kit for a full refund!

So people, I need to know that with the 55 gal tank, what can I buy @ Petco in order to have a healthy Dragon. I need to know ASAP so I can get it today. I'm going to get the thermometer at Walmart. I need reptile carpet for the bedding, and lighting. Everything else I bought separately. So what do I need to look for in the lighting in a 55 gal. since that seems to be the biggest issue.

Help quickly please?

ErinMeetsMachine

Sub-Adult Member
I would hold off on getting the lights there. Petco doesn't supply the best MVB bulbs. I would order a mega-ray MVB online. You're dragon will be fine a day or so without one while you wait for it to be shipped. with a 55 gallon tank, it's the best you can get.
Besides that, I don't know what all you have. You'll need two light fixtures, some multivitamins, calcium (without vitamin d - since you're getting an mvb) - if you can't find it there beautifuldragons have some great stuff for cheap, it's what I use. A screen to go on top. If you want, you can get a few fixtures for inside.. such as the repticarpet (I went to home depot and got slate tiles for cheaper and used papertowel at the time).

I don't know if i'm forgetting anything,b ut i'm just trying to post quick so you get a response. I will still be online if you need any more suggestions! GOOD LUCK

JazzyDragon

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
OK so I have a black light, a spiral floresent and a blue basking bulb. All the bulbs and lamps are from the kit so I won't have any.

Which of those types do I need to get and what brand is better and where is a good place to find them?

Is slate better or should I should the reptile carpet for sub? Those are the 2 things I'm most concerned about. And is a 55 gal good? or would a 40 gal breeder be better?

ErinMeetsMachine

Sub-Adult Member
Ok, lighting-wise this is what I use.. I have a 55 gallon tank as well. On one side I have a 60 watt soft white household bulb that keeps the cool side of the tank right around 80-85. On the other side I have a 100w Mega-Ray MVB bulb that sits about 14 inches away from the highest basking spot.

This is the cheapest and best way. The bulbs they sell at the petstores are kind of just for show and for the brand name. The black light definitely isn't needed. Are you planning on using that during the night? What are the night temperatures?

The compact bulb that you got (spiral florsecent) isn't very good, those actually tend to hurt the beardies eyes.

So I would get two light fixtures and a household bulb or two, I would wait to put any UV in there until you get a 100w megaray. that will be the biggest expense, but only has to be changed about once a year.

ErinMeetsMachine

Sub-Adult Member
102_1835.jpg

there is a picture.

I use the slate tiles to help file her nails and it is an easy clean up. I keep newspaper underneath that.

jeschardies

Hatchling Member
Regarding the tiles.....
I love them! I purchased two boxes of the 6x6 slate tiles and had them cut a few to size. I put them on paper towels to help protect the glass. The best part is that I only have to remove a small 6x6 piece or two to clean when they have a BM. I am assuming that unless you cut the carpet in smaller pieces, you would have to take the whole thing out to clean it. With the tiles, I had extra left over, so I am able to remove and replace as the others are cleaned. (I almost always have tiles drying outside after their bleach/water soak) You don't have to get them cut, you can just over lap some and make it a bit more of a rough terrain, like in their natural habitat as well.....
As Jazzy mentioned, the lights are best purchased online. I know they sell the Powersun, which I use in one of my enclosures, but for $80? NO! You can get it for almost half the price online..... You can get digital probe thermometers at Petco, yellow ZooMed ones, supplements, funiture, bowls, and a heat bulb if needed.

Good luck and let us know how you did!

jeschardies

Hatchling Member
Great! Sorry my last post must have been at the same time as yours.....

Looks good! Now you just need to order an MVB? I use the MegaRay and Powersun and like them both. The MegaRay does not put out the heat that the Powersun does and requires an additional heat source for the basking spot, but so far you seem to have made some great decisions!

JazzyDragon

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
OK so here is what I'm understanding from you guys...

I need a regular 60 watt household bulb for heat? With a Clamp reflector lamp thingy. A 100w Mega-Ray MVB bulb or Repti-sun 10.0 type long bulb, my 40 gal breeder. Some 6X6 slate tiles. Ad thats it? No black light?

ClydesGirl

Sub-Adult Member
JazzyDragon":gmb0q4o7 said:
OK so here is what I'm understanding from you guys...

I need a regular 60 watt household bulb for heat? With a Clamp reflector lamp thingy. A 100w Mega-Ray MVB bulb or Repti-sun 10.0 type long bulb, my 40 gal breeder. Some 6X6 slate tiles. Ad thats it? No black light?

The household bulb is just for keeping the "cool side" of the viv up around 80-85 degrees if it's not naturally that warm already on that side. For UVB you need either a tube fluorescent or an MVB. If you go with fluorescent, you need a ReptiSun 10.0 florescent tube (will have to get it online) and a fixture for whichever size you decide to get. I would go with a larger size for such a large viv. You can get any florescent fixture that takes T8 bulbs in whatever size you decide on. It doesn't have to be an expensive hood from a pet store. You can get cheap fixtures at Walmart or Home Depot/Lowes. If you go with a florescent tube for UVB, then you will also need some sort of a heat lamp, probably a 75-100 watt basking bulb from a pet store.

If you decide to go with MVB for your UVB needs, then you won't need any fluorescent fixture, just another dome clamp lamp. Depending on what bulb you get, you may or may not need a heat lamp/basking light as well. The MegaRays do not put out enough heat on their own.

In either case, you do not need a black light/night light at all.

JazzyDragon

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
OK so if I get the reptisun 10.0, what size should I get for a 40 gal breeder? 24 inch? I checked walmart for the fixtures to put a bulb in and couldn't find anything other than the giant ones for a shop light. Gonna try lowes tomorrow

jeschardies

Hatchling Member
Ya, I found them at one Walmart, but not another. They do carry the 24" under cabinet light, its just a hit and miss per store. It was cheap too! Like $13..... I would say try another Walmart before Lowes if one is nearby. Or call another Walmart...... Lowes carried the 18" with a plug and switch for a blacklight which is what I got, but not for $13, more like $17 or so. If you can find them with the plug and a switch, then you don't have to worry about wiring anything yourself.....

Good luck

jeschardies

Hatchling Member
Walmart again! In the outdoor patio section you will find the Acurite with a digital probe. The one has three readings, the probe(basking spot), and the unit(cool side). Just set it on the cool side and run the probe to the basking spot. You will get all readings on the unit at all times and a humidity readout at the cool side as well....
Actually, I've seen these at Lowes as well, if you were going there.

Heating, you can use a spot light or halogen in a dome pointed directly at the basking spot or a household incandescent bulb. This will create heat and light. I use a spot light to ensure that the basking spot gets the most heat.

JazzyDragon

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Someone else suggested that thermo but I was at walmart and couldn't find it. But I looked in babies and pharmacy. I had no idea what I was looking for. I am going to lowes so I'll be sure to ask them for it! Thanks! You're not the first person to suggest that one to me! And will Lowes have a fixture to put the Reptisun 10.0 in? I looked at walmart for that as well but couldn't find it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tangel256
Top Bottom