Need help with how many roaches to feed my beardie please?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rubi9229

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Pancake
Hi!! My beardie currently only eats superworms (I know, I know) because that was all I had access to, but I have finally gotten permission to keep a roach colony at my house. Gonna try breeding them myself.

I haven't ordered them yet, but my plan is to change to discoid roaches as a staple.

What I'm wondering is how many, and how often do I feed them to her? My beardie is an adult. If you don't have discoids but you use dubias, I'm interested in your feeding schedule too because I know the two roaches are very similar nutritionally.

Now that I have the means, I just really want Pancake to be on a healthier diet, and I'm struggling to find the exact amount of feeders I'm supposed to give and when. I worry about over/underfeeding, so I figured I can just see what y'all do and follow that.

Thank you in advance!! I appreciate any advice I can get. :blob5:

DoubleD22

I just got Caesar and he is a 3-4 month juvi, with so many different opinions on how many roaches to feed a day and much research and calling pet store after pet store I came to the conclusion with the help of one of the best pet store owners in Chicago, that 20 Dubai roaches a day is basically a perfect amount. And you can throw a few worms on the salad to help him/her eat greens. That is what I plan on doing for awhile and watching his growth.

DoubleD22

I also feed him 3 times a day, breakfast lunch and dinner. That way he and I are getting to know one another better and he gets use to knowing my hand means love and nothing else. It is the 4th day and he has already waved at me in loving submission, he never runs from my hand and i can pet him freely.

rubi9229":1km7ycvc said:
Hi!! My beardie currently only eats superworms (I know, I know) because that was all I had access to, but I have finally gotten permission to keep a roach colony at my house. Gonna try breeding them myself.

I haven't ordered them yet, but my plan is to change to discoid roaches as a staple.

What I'm wondering is how many, and how often do I feed them to her? My beardie is an adult. If you don't have discoids but you use dubias, I'm interested in your feeding schedule too because I know the two roaches are very similar nutritionally.

Now that I have the means, I just really want Pancake to be on a healthier diet, and I'm struggling to find the exact amount of feeders I'm supposed to give and when. I worry about over/underfeeding, so I figured I can just see what y'all do and follow that.

I have the bio dude terrarium set up so I don't have to worry very often about their food. I have 2 adults each in their own set up one is a female around 6 or so and the male 11 or so. I haven't ever had any real health problems with my beardies over the years. They get veggies every day unless for some odd reason I'm not home which is very very rare. Ome thing with people on here they worry way to much and cause their own issues or set up isn't right. Adults eat less than younger ones but mine eat when they want just like they live in the wild. Its natural to them and I recommend it for all beardies they love it. I do have the big string hammocks which they absolutely love and sleep on every day and night. The bugs reproduce on their own and have spots they hide and live. Sometimes I have to replenish the supply obviously but nothing like I used to. They are not fat and not skinny the heaviest they have ever been best choice I ever made for them! No cleaning of terrariums for me clean up crew does all the work.

Heatherrae1111":m1ak6dkf said:
rubi9229":m1ak6dkf said:

I have the bio dude terrarium set up so I don't have to worry very often about their food. I have 2 adults each in their own set up one is a female around 6 or so and the male 11 or so. I haven't ever had any real health problems with my beardies over the years. They get veggies every day unless for some odd reason I'm not home which is very very rare. Ome thing with people on here they worry way to much and cause their own issues or set up isn't right. Adults eat less than younger ones but mine eat when they want just like they live in the wild. Its natural to them and I recommend it for all beardies they love it. I do have the big string hammocks which they absolutely love and sleep on every day and night. The bugs reproduce on their own and have spots they hide and live. Sometimes I have to replenish the supply obviously but nothing like I used to. They are not fat and not skinny the heaviest they have ever been best choice I ever made for them! No cleaning of terrariums for me clean up crew does all the work.
I forgot to say by terrariums have crickets, meal worms which usually they eat most of once I put them in the tank when I buy them amd dubias which I feed my bugs just as good as my beardies. Also I buy spray on vitamins which I only put on their veggies a few times a week and add calcium powder a couple times a week also to the veggies which I put in a food chopper to mix. My beardies still get their baths and stuff a few times a week but they haven't been sick or have skin issues or other health problems I see on here a lot. It's worth the money it cost for start up but I have saved a ton by doing this especially on bugs!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nhacaiuytinco1
Top Bottom