need help with a basking light dilemna

Status
Not open for further replies.

wolfysluv

Hatchling Member
I have your basic 40 gallon breeder set up with a reptisun 10.0 uvb, etc. I have tried zoo med basking 50 watt ... its not warm enough. Zoomed 100 watt. Too hot. Sylvania halogen 60 watt that puts out 75 watts (energy savers, its hard to find bulbs that aren't nowadays), WAY to hot. Right now I'm using a 100 watt house hold bulb that holds it 95-100. Depending how how high I raise my spot. Its very hard to get it to 100 though. Very. So what can I try thats a tad warmer than a 100 watt household light? Ive spent SO much money trying bulbs I'm about to scream. :banghead:

wolfysluv

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Okay so for once, I found a store that told me via phone they have zoomed 75 watt basking. I hope to god, I can get a single cause I can't afford a dang double pack. from what I remember I always seem to only find the 50, 100, 150 singles even though zoo med sells 75 singles and not just double packs. Anyway, has anyone had luck obtaining the right temps with that bulb?

I have to return this lowes halogen bulb because its way way too hot. I need to know if
a) if a regular spot light is okay ... if so what wattage should I try? Seems like the flood lights are huge bulbs, I didn't want a huge bulb.
b) IF I tried halogen again, what wattage should I try? I was really surprised that the 60 watt that shines as much as a 75 watt was WAY too hot. Its really hard to find bulbs with clear cut wattage anymore by the way... they always have energy savers, that say they are a certain wattage, but put out like a higher wattage (how in the heck do you calibrate that for a basking light sheesh)

I'm SO DONE with this nightmare. I've had Heli since like May and I've yet to truly, truly stablize a temp that will stay at 100-103. I mean thats my goal. Im not happy with under a 100 or over 105.

wolfysluv

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Ugh. Okay, frustrating, but also good news. I have the basking spot at 105. Finding a way to lower it just an inch and not much more has been ridiculous. Somehow I'll have to figure it out. What I'm worried about is Heli's head, right now, is about 5 inches from the basking light itself. Is that too close to his face? Im thinking an inch lower would put the temp at a better number, and the plus would be he woudlnt' be so close to the light. Maybe I have this figured out. I think what made the difference was last night we put the UVB strip inside the tank. I think that may have raised the temp slightly so I could get the basking light temp higher. But now, I gotta check the cold side to make sure thats not too hot now (I have a ceramic heater on that side just to keep it warm). If thats too hot, and I lower the ceramic heater... hopefully I wont be back to ground zero again.

Why does this have to be so frustrating? Also, I"m still curious as to what bulbs could get my enlclosure a hair warmer if I need it to be .. what spot/flood light and what halogen light would put me in the right ball park in case I change?

wolfysluv

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
This is ridiculous. The enclosure wont keep the temp up. Its back to 95 as it always has been with a 100 watt household bulb. I have no idea why it went up so high for a bit earlier. So, yeah, I def need something a tad warmer.
50 zoomed basking light too low
100 zoomed basking light too high
Sylvanian 75 wat hologen flood WAY too high.

Any bulb suggestions for a 40 gallon breeder would be wonderful.

Katie007

Sub-Adult Member
I would stick with a 100w bulb of either the basking bulb or the other bulb you have and just attach your light to a dimmer. That way you can adjust it very easily and won't have have to switch back and forth between bulbs.

wolfysluv

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I have a dimmer. but it frustrates the heck out of me. i dont think its completely consistant. ive not had a lot of luck with them. I worry about the dial being moved too. finally got a zoomed 75 watt. its pretty strong but i might be able to work with it. interestingly my husband picked up a diff brand of the same thing too. that other brand seems to be working!! Theres about a five degree difference between the two. ill have to update after a full day of use. theres not really a "bad" plain basking spot light bulb for reptiles right? As long as its pretty much clear.

arp111

I bought a Zoo Med™ Reptile Lamp Stand (not that it matters :) )
it allows me to adjust the height of the lamp to get the right temp
for evening's I have a thermostatically controlled outlet on a lamp with Ceramic Heating Emitter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Panthercat
Top Bottom