Need help remembering

Status
Not open for further replies.

Katie007

Sub-Adult Member
It's been a while since I've had a tiny baby to take care of (and never this tiny!), and I want to make sure I remember everything correctly.

Sir Stewart is around 6 weeks old with a nice pudgy belly, bright eyes, and beautiful colors! He's from TND Dragons, so of course he's wonderful.
I brought him home yesterday afternoon and a couple hours later he ate 3 dubia and had a poo.
Today, he hasn't wanted to eat anything yet but he did poo again, and he's been very active. This is where my first question comes in. He had been housed in an opaque bin, where he couldnt see much of anything outside. Now I have him in glass so of course he has more visibility. The back and sides of his enclosure are blocked off, so he can only see out of the front. Should I block off the front, or a portion of the front? Also, he's been glass dancing like crazy. Could this have to do with being able to see his reflection for the first time? If so, should I put some paper around the back and sides to cut down on the reflection?

My second question is about cleaning. My first dragon, Norbert, since the beginning, has only pooped in his bath. Because of this, I havent had to worry too much about spot cleaning, and for deep cleaning once a month I use Beardeddragon.co's Professional Disinfectant (the pink stuff). Now that I have Stewart I'm not sure what I should use for everyday spot cleaning. Yesterday and today I've just been wiping down the spot with some water, but I know that's not enough. Will a vinegar/water solution be fine, and can it be used while he's still in the enclosure? I also have this --- http://www.beardeddragon.co/index.php?route=product/product&path=73&product_id=189. Can this be used to spot clean along with washing hands?

My third questions is about feeding and handling. I know you really shouldnt handle them for the first week or so, but with Norbert I handled him from the first day and now he's a HUGE love bug. :) Is it alright to handle within the first couple days? Also, I'm considering feeding him in a separate bin, so I would need to handle him for that.

Ok fourth question. I know his basking temps should be around 108-110, but he doesn't seem to ever stay put on the basking spot for any length of time. Is this alright? He's on and off it again every 5 minutes.

LAST question! My 10 month old Norbert, whose been semi-brumation for the past couple months, is going a little crazy today. He can't see the new baby, but can he sense him? He's been running around and head bobbing for the past 15 minutes as I type this. Is this just a coincidence and he's just done brumating, or does he know about the new baby?

I thank you if you read this super long post!!!
and here's Sir Stewart!

Mistyck

Extreme Poster
He's adorable! Very good looking!

If you want to block off the front go for it. He's probably just going through some relocation stress...

You could use baby wipes to clean up the mess. That's what I used to do. I don't know about the disinfectant as I use vinegar and water to clean out the tank. I think it would be fine, just not with him in there.

Why shouldn't you handle him? He's just going through relocation stress, and if you handle him he'll become more comfortable with you and come to expect you to hold him. I'd go ahead and handle him from day one, so he's used to your scent and your touch.

Yes that basking temp is fine. Sometimes they bask for long periods of time and sometimes they don't.

Yes he can sense the new baby, and is probably upset about it. Just don't take them out at the same time, and wash your hands between handling them and he should calm down in a week or so...Sometimes it takes longer and sometimes it takes shorter.

When I first got Breesy and Iccarus was still around Iccarus was peeved every time I had Breesy out. But he eventually got over it, so long as he still got mommy cuddle time. :lol:

Katie007

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Haha, it's so funny because I've never seen him act like that. :lol: He's calmed down now though, and I'll make sure nothing interferes with his daily cuddles. LOL

I already held Stewart today and he ran at first but once in my hand he calmed down. I'm hoping I can get him to eat a little more today, but I'm not too worried. I'm sure he'll settle in soon enough.

Thanks for the tip about the baby wipes. I'll have to pick some up, they sounds perfect for spot cleaning.

I'm excited for his relocation stress to be over! :roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lienminhokvip
Top Bottom