Need help please-Taz is sick

Status
Not open for further replies.

KairaandTaz08

Juvie Member
Not sure if this was a Beardie ER situation, as he has seen a vet and I know what is wrong now.
Taz went to the vet yesterday and was put on Ketoconazole (oral antifungal) for "bad yeast" in his tummy.

It is a confirmed diagnosis...I'll try to make this brief, but basically he is 4 1/2 years old, has been going through difficult sheds over the past few months, but most recently his appetite started to decline from not eating live feeders (crickets or supers) to barely eating any fresh greeens, and the past 3 to 5 days he's been bearding constantly (not just normal grumpy Taz shedding), but to the point where I suspected he was in pain. It is difficult to tell the difference with him, because he has never liked sheds and always shown off his beard...his tough guy act...this has obviously changed and with the decrease in appetite dramatically to hardly anything for this long (sheds have been constant for him but the last 2 months he slowed down eating decreasing to no live feeders for 2 weeks). He is NOT trying to burmate, he is over 4yrs old and has never burmated, though the weird weather does affect his apptetite along with his diffcult sheds, this has never been an issue of him slowing down to burmate. In fact, he wants to be on the basking side, and with the decrease in fresh greens, he's not moving to the cool side of his tank either (it's 6ft long, he usually uses all of it throughout the day, but recently, he wants to stay near his basking spot, he'll immediately climb up there when he's put back into his tank too.) So, he's in shed, no burmating, slowly decreasing appetite at first for 2 months, to a sudden loss of interest in greens most recently and the bearding (jet black) consistant mainly started over the weekend.
His cage set-up is fine, his temps, his UVB is not old and it's Reptisun 10.0 tube. Substrate is non-adhesive shelf liner and paper towels, all of his cage and daily food, vitamins, calcium, etc are bd.org approved and vet approved also.

Sooooo....I took him out yesterday and was just looking him over, checking his tail (shed) his beard, tummy, and somehow, accidentally (didn't even know this was possible to do until yesterday) trigged the throw up thing they have....needless to say I freaked out and became even more concerned...he hadn't had anything but fresh greens in 24hrs and he barely picked at them. I know now that though upsetting and uncomfortable for him, this gave the vet the info he needed to get a diagnosis and from what I understand, it is better for them to get it out...?? It was yellowish and watery, and he has been getting babyfood since he wasn't eating feeders...the vet isn't sure the babyfood caused it, but obviously, he isn't getting that anymore.

My mom took him to the vet, the vet checked him over, and triggered the throw-up thing there too...he then immediately cultured it, found the bad yeast. He also did an x-ray to check for any blockage and Taz's organs- X-ray was ok, no blockage, but he obviously has a problem in his digestive tract with the bad yeast and it causing him pain.
The vet put Taz on Ketoconazole Tab 200mg, label says: Give 0.16ml once a day for 14 days for infection.
Total volume-3mls. Concentration 200mg/2ml.
Taz has lost a bit of weight through this, but his current weight is 560 grams (from yesterday and he was 620 grams on 4-26-11).
Does this dosage look ok for his current weight?
The vet also gave us Critical Care, said to allow him to drink water if he will from syringe too. The other instructions from the vet are that Taz should be allowed fresh greens, but no live feeders for at least a week, no calcium and multivitamins because the Critical Care has enough.
I have Benebac Probiotics, and I realize he needs to stay hydrated through this. If he won't drink plain water should he be allowed anything else? I know when Kaira was sick so many years ago, she liked the reduced sugar (possibly sugar-free) grape Gatorade mixed with water to keep her hydrated and boost electrolytes, but she was in a totally different situation and only a juvie at the time, she's fine now, luckily. Should Taz be allowed this option or not with the yeast being in his gut, will it make it worse?
Any other suggestions/advice on how to make this easier on him and lessen any bad side effects of the medication?
Taz is still alert and climbing some, but he obviously doesn't feel well, and he can be a grumpy guy to begin with so I just want to be sure that this is done with the least stress on him and his body. Oh, the vet said his shed is not an issue at this point...obviously it's not helping grumpiness and discomfort, but tissue is fine and all.

Thanks so much,
Abi

brittani299

Extreme Poster
I personally know nothing about this issue but I would message Drache613 (tracie) she is a monitor on here and knows a lot. She might know would to do to help you out

KairaandTaz08

Juvie Member
Original Poster
I think you're right. She helped me get Kaira, my girl, through some really rough stuff years ago. I'll send her a PM. :)
Thanks

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello Abi,

I got your PM & will get back to you soon. Good to see you on here. :D
Sorry to hear Taz is having a few problems right now!

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cr0w
Top Bottom