Need help planning stacking enclosure build

Status
Not open for further replies.

KDK241

Hatchling Member
I want to build 3 stacking enclosures for my 2 beardies and my collared lizard. The collared lizard's would be on top since the hotter the better for him and the beardies would be in the middle and bottom. I know that they are all going to be 48x24 but haven't decided on the height yet (part of why I'm here). I only have 7 foot ceilings and while I can put the lights in the bearded cages I can't in my collared's cage because he likes to jump on them so I need at least a foot of height on top. If I make them all 24" tall then that gives me the 1 foot I need on top but I don't know if I should leave a space between each cage. With a space between each one I would make the beardie cages 18" and the collared cage 30" and that would leave a 3" space between each cage.

My other concern is would the bottom cage be able to hold all the weight from the other 2? The collared's cage would actually weigh more just because he has more decor. I was planning on just using 3/4" plywood because its easiest but was wondering if I should add some framing to the bottom cage.

This is still a ways off and I'm just starting to plan so any advice/suggestions are more than welcome!

nordica

Hatchling Member
Well, I'm no real DIYer or have much experience with the construct of enclosures (my Father has helped me build *one*), but I AM one for overkill. I pretty much want things to last through a nuclear holocaust. Because you're going to have three stacking enclosures, I would definitely recommend framing everything you can, as the combined weight of all the materials is gonna be a LOT. I'm in roughly the same boat as you, as I want to build stacking enclosures as well (though I only need two), but I'm also planning on having them stacked on top of a sideboard table (also to be built). I was worried about heat accumulation too, but I had an idea that might work for you as well, since your vertical dimensions are much more constrained than mine... basically, I am planning on mounting a small fan from a portion of the ceiling, right in front of one of the side vents, and then have it set on a timer throughout the day, perhaps in, lets say, increments of 5 minutes on/15 minutes off/5 minutes on/15 minutes off/etc... or whatever time increments will work with keeping the temperatures ideal. I plan on mounting mine on the inside of the enclosures, as both my beardies are fat little spoiled princesses who would never lower themselves enough to even considering jumping up on something ( :mrgreen: ), but I'm thinking you could easily mount them on the outside of a vent.

The fans I've bought I found on www.lightyourreptiles.com some months back, but unfortunately it looks as though they're no longer being offered. Basically, they're little 4" bakers fans. Very sturdy, very quiet, very effective. Perhaps you can email Todd (he's the one running lightyourreptiles.com) and ask where he got them.

wykd

2x2x4 for the size, you will need the 2ft to put your uvb/ basking lamp inside each enclosure. I would avoid the fans if possible and let natural air flow provide the heat exhaust.

Make a 2x4 rack/shelf that will hold the enclosures and use .25 paneling for the top, side, back, bottoms. This allows it to be broke down for moving around such easier. Aspen is a lightweight wood and so is birch so either are good wood and not costly from lowes as well as come precut in 2x2 and 2x4 panels.
the 2x4 will hold 3 of those easy, and as far as ventilation goes. Openings on both sides and upper back would suffice. I used 2 inch circular door housing bits and put 3 on each end and 4 on the top along the back. This creates a chimney effect. Heat rises and draws cool air in the sides.

Doing this means you need a dead space between the bottom of one enclosure and top of the other and leave the back frame open so air can escape/rise out up the back side.

Doing it like this would mean the very bottom enclosure may use 1 100w bulb to bask and the middle one may use a 80w and the top one a 60w since heat rises and heat soak will occur.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DarthPenumbra
Top Bottom