Need help on selecting lighting for 40 gallon tank

mshaverly

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Vhagara
Hello, I currently have my girl in a 120 gallon tank which is great and she loves it. I have noticed her wanting to dig. I have a 40 gallon tank I have ordered repti-sand and repti-soil along with a plastic cat litter pan so I can give her a little time every day to dig and hang out. I have a 100 watt basking bulb I need to order a receptacle for. I need to know what kind of UVB receptacle/hood and the size and what size UVB bulb to order. Thank you.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Hello, I currently have my girl in a 120 gallon tank which is great and she loves it. I have noticed her wanting to dig. I have a 40 gallon tank I have ordered repti-sand and repti-soil along with a plastic cat litter pan so I can give her a little time every day to dig and hang out. I have a 100 watt basking bulb I need to order a receptacle for. I need to know what kind of UVB receptacle/hood and the size and what size UVB bulb to order. Thank you.
The same size your using for you 120 gallon tank

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
If she's just in there part of the day you can just use a heat bulb and not bother with uvb. She'll still get plenty of uvb from time in her main enclosure.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
The hood wouldn't be the same size would it if the tank is smaller?
40 gallon tanks can take a 24" fixture -- if the fixture is bigger for the 120 gallon you dont want the same size-- you screen will determine where the UVB goes - is it a 18" high tank and is the screen a wide hole or a fine mesh type --- as AHBD said you dont need a UVB as well if shes only in there for part of the day -- she will get her main UVB from the one in the 120 gallon tank - they dont bask all the time under the UVB as well -- its up to you

mshaverly

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Vhagara
The 40 gallon tank is only 18 inches high. The mesh is finer than that of the 120 gallon tank. I was thinking of getting the double dome receptacle to hold the basking bulb and a coil type UVB since she won't spend but about two hours per day in that tank.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
The 40 gallon tank is only 18 inches high. The mesh is finer than that of the 120 gallon tank. I was thinking of getting the double dome receptacle to hold the basking bulb and a coil type UVB since she won't spend but about two hours per day in that tank.
Please no coils they do more harm ----- have her go w/ out a UVB for the short time in the tank ---

ChileanTaco

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Taco
Just out of interest; I have never used coils and won't do so: Does somebody know what exactly is dangerous about the coils? Is it the spectrum, intensity e.g.?

I easily see why they are not as good as a tube. But what makes them bad on their own, so why without UVB during a short time is still better than using the coil for a short time?

If somebody has something on this, I'd be interested in knowing, also as I'm generally interested in technical stuff.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Just out of interest; I have never used coils and won't do so: Does somebody know what exactly is dangerous about the coils? Is it the spectrum, intensity e.g.?

I easily see why they are not as good as a tube. But what makes them bad on their own, so why without UVB during a short time is still better than using the coil for a short time?

If somebody has something on this, I'd be interested in knowing, also as I'm generally interested in technical stuff.
Compact or coil bulbs do not emit the proper amount of UVB light for a bearded dragon
The coils or compacts of the same brand aren't recommended, as they have shown to cause eye problems and reduction of appetite

ChileanTaco

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Taco
Is there a bit more technical information available online, maybe?

(No worry, I'm really not planning using them. I've read, of course, they are described as being not appropriate, not emitting the proper amount of light.. and I totally believe that. Just asking because I like understanding the background of all sorts of things, and I'm a physicist so I'm always a bit more interested in technical details and for me things like spectra, luminosities, throughputs... are not something to be afraid of but parts of my daily work ;) )

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Is there a bit more technical information available online, maybe?

(No worry, I'm really not planning using them. I've read, of course, they are described as being not appropriate, not emitting the proper amount of light.. and I totally believe that. Just asking because I like understanding the background of all sorts of things, and I'm a physicist so I'm always a bit more interested in technical details and for me things like spectra, luminosities, throughputs... are not something to be afraid of but parts of my daily work ;) )
I dont know what is out there on line about coils --- I just know they are a health hazard - I can post you a pic of a dragon that was under a coil for 6 years -- its not pretty but if you want to see what kind of effects long term will do I will post it for you - just ask -- it was on another forum and I tried to get this person to change / get rid of the coil but I think it was too late--- they did not heed the warning signs --

ChileanTaco

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Taco
You could post the picture, but I won't need it. Really don't worry, I have never bought or used them, I will never use them and I have no reason to even think about doing so.
I know that using coils causes e.g. blindness, bulging eyes, MBD, burns... in addition to not wanting to eat, hiding... and it saddens me always so much seeing those poor beings suffering (at least, when they are appearing here, this means they likely get help).
Animal health and proper husbandry mean a lot to me, for my dragon and for other pets I had in the last decades (was always looking up tons of information before getting any kind of pet, and never did the "simple PetSmart kit" setup).

I was just asking for technical information (such as: this type of coil has this spectrum with lack of..../too much... intensity at this or that wavelength, causing this or that in the metabolism, inferring with those cells...) as I'm very much into that because of my job as a researcher, and if you don't have any, no problem :)

Last edited:

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Critter Guy
Top Bottom