Need Help on advice For Chyna

Status
Not open for further replies.

onyxbeardie

Hatchling Member
Yesterday I seen her eat one or two crickets this is unusual for her because she is always eating lots of crix. I find myself going to the petstore every other day to get her some but now that i have a cricket tank and food and water source for the crix. But anyway today chyna hasnt been eating she has been moving around and sunbathing but crickets have been climbing on her and everything this is very unusual for my baby is this normal shoudl i worry?

joprukop22

Sometimes these little guys have "off" days just like us. They are animals so they can be unpredictable..lol. I fed my lizards crickets for 12 years now and I switched to superworms about two months ago and I LOVE it. Crickets stink, make noises, and die. These superworms do not really do any of that and you can put them in a bowl that they cant escape from so you do not have to worry about your dragon getting nibbled on. You can order them in bulk off the internet. I get mine from Mulberry Farms. You might want to give it a try. But if crickets work for you that is good too.

LJean

Extreme Poster
I hope she is just having an off day. Give it another day or two and give us an update.

zebraflavencs

Extreme Poster
You might also wish to try roaches as a staple feeder, again, no stink, no chirping, and they breed fast depending on which kind you get.
Well wishes for you and Chyna !
Janie.

onyxbeardie

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Never really heard the crickets and never smelled them but I am going to try some superworms today see if she will eat them but is it ok for her to eat them at her age and size?

onyxbeardie

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I was just told from a friend because I have a basking lamp with UVA in it I need the reptisun that has UVA and UVB in it this is y she may not be eating is this true? Or have any of u guys heard of that being the problem?

onyxbeardie

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I use a regular Light bulb and I also have a Exo Terra Sun Glo Tight Beam Basking Spot Lamp 50 Watts it says it Stimulates natural behavior through UVA Rays For Dessert and Tropical Terrariums 35% increase of Light and heat in the beam Creates a basking area for Thermo regulation and Increases ambient air temperature.

Embee

Gray-bearded Member
zebraflavencs":70e24 said:
Yup, you do need the Reptisun !Janie.

Just wanted to second this. Quality UVB is absolutely necessary for dragons. It is crucial for appetite, growth and overall health. When a dragon isn't eating well, the first thing I check is what (if any) UVB source is being used. In that, when it comes to beardies, type and brand of UVB are also crucial. Best product is the ReptiSun 10.0 TUBE, here is a good price: http://www.petmountain.com/product/reptile-fluorescent-bulbs/504983/zoo-med-reptisun-10.0-uvb-bulb.html however, you will likely find one much cheaper at your local hardware store.

When you have both your basking and tube, you'll want to shift the tube strip to the basking end of the tank like this:

___________tube
0 basking bulb

...so that beardie can have benefit of both lights while basking. Also, beardie should be able to get within 6-8 inches of the UVB, but no closer.

Beardie should be fine for a few days without UVB, if you need to order a UVB tube online (you can find them in store, however they will be marked WAY up). In the meantime, continue to offer food, keep your dragon well hydrated through bathing (baby warm water, up to shoulders for 15-20 minutes, every couple of days), and maintain proper temps (105-110, basking, 85-90 ambient, cool side, about 80).

A couple of questions:

Are you dusting live feeders with calcium (5 meals per week) and vites (1-2 meals per week)?

What are your tank temps like, and what type of thermometer are you using to gauge temps?

I'm sorry to hear about Onyx. :( I followed that thread, and to my memory, there were most probably various reasons behind his death, the coil bulbs have caused many similar scenarios around here. To quote moderator, Diane [daimc]:

baby beardies are "very particular" with their needs

Indeed, quality UVB, proper temps (and useful equipment in gauging those temps), solid substrate, right sized feeders, proper hydration, the list goes on... and we'll be happy to help out in any way that we can to see that Chyna gets off to a good start.

The best,
Em

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaineyPoo
Top Bottom