Need help! I'm not sure if he is dead of not :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shadow

This requires some back story. About 2 months ago I took my beardie to the vet because he slowed down on eating and seemed generally unhappy and then when he pooped it looked almost like a black sludge (I got him in 2007 and this is the first problem he has ever had). The Vet checked him out and said he was okay from what he could tell. He did an xray and said for his age his bone density was amazing and he gave me a vitamin for him to take and told me to try and take him outside for a while each day while it was still warm out.He seemed to get better within a week. Fast forward a month later. My GF calls me crying and thinks he is dead. His eyes were open and he didn't appear to be breathing. All of a sudden he starts moving again but from this point he started to lose his appetite a bit and I thought maybe he was brumating. He would eat his greens periodically but didn't eat any crickets I would give him (in a separate container). 3 weeks later brings us to present day. He starts eating crickets again, greens and seems finally all better. When I got home from work today I went over to his tank and he honestly appeared dead. It looked like blood had come out of his mouth, I don't know if he was coughing it up or what happened. His eyes were open and he did't seem to be breathing. After I gathered myself I started to put him in a shoe box with some sand and planned on burying him tomorrow out at my dads house on some land. I picked him up and he was completely limp, no life whatsoever. I move him to the box and place his favorite log in with him. All of a sudden he kinda tossed his head back and opened his mouth wide. I couldn't tell if it was like a gasp for air or what was going on. His eyes have stayed open the entire time, then he went right back to looking lifeless. I tried to give him some of the vitamin stuff that the vet recommended and it appeared his tongue moved a bit. He threw his head back again and has done it one more time since. I try moving his feet, petting him, anything to get a reaction but he just still appears lifeless. Eyes still open. I'm going to take him to the vet tomorrow first thing to be sure but I was just seeing if I could get any answers tonight. Thanks

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Oh dear, I'm sorry to hear that he (and you) are going through this. It's hard to say what exactly is going on but I do have to tell you that they do gasp for air just before they pass. I'm not saying that is what is happening with your guy though.

How old is he? I would try giving him a bath & also put drops of water on his nose to see if he will lick it off.

If you could tell his what his setup is like, that would be very helpful. Posting pictures might help too.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

OH my, I am so sorry to hear about your boy. It is devastating when they are not doing well.
As Diamc suggested, pictures would be helpful if you can & review your tank setup with us.
It is hard to know exactly what could be going on. It could be an array of things from liver
to kidney issues, etc.

Let us know how he is doing.

Tracie

Shadow

Original Poster
I'm heading into the vets in about 10 mins but I just thought I'd answers a few of your questions. He is about 7.5 years old. I picked him up from a breeder in the summer of 2007 when he was about 3 weeks old. His tank is a 40Gal breeder with a screen mesh top. Has a light fixture currently with a 100watt and was going to switch to a higher wattage depending on how hard winter hit. I use a very fine play sand as substrate, have a large basking log and a smaller log that led to his hammock before he would constantly knock it over. Temperatures on both sides of the tank are good. Headed off to the vets now, i'll give an update when I get back.

Shadow

Original Poster
Just got back from the vets and hes gone. I decided that burying him didn't seem right and I'm getting him cremated. Something about a Dragon going out in fire just seemed better. Thanks for the responses.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I'm so sorry, I know how much it hurts. Did he pass at the vet's office?

You gave him a good life and living to be 7 1/2 years old is about the average age.

Again, I'm sorry.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I am sorry for your loss of your boy. :cry: I know how rough it is to lose one, that is an awful feeling.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J.sobrero
Top Bottom