need help fast! swollen eyes in mbd dragon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

So sorry, I remember your case now.
Did they test his kidney function? That is one thing I would be concerned about since he is a rescue.
How are the urates looking, are they hard or soft or is there much urate output?
The herbal concoction is terrific, it should help out a lot for him. He got mad that you made him eat a couple of worms? Just tell them that they are good for him.
The 15 inches for the MVB is fine & the 102 should be great for him.
I think you are doing everything that you can for him right now. He is very lucky to have you helping him!
I have been to Dr. Maders & am not really a huge fan of him. I am glad that you have decided to treat on your own.
Let us know how he is doing!

Tracie

khartley

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Sorry for not posting all day but the reality is I have yet to accept the fact that he passed away this morning. So upset because today was the first nice day and I thought I'd take him outside and that the sunshine and fresh air would help his spirit. I went to bed last night so optimistic since his swelling went down and he could see again. But he just decided to give up the fight before I was ready to. I believe his kidneys were shutting down :(

Rip Hercules, I love you so much, thank you for letting me be a part of your life.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Aw, I'm so sorry to hear that your boy didn't make it. :( There was definitely something very serious going on. I know it's not much consolation but you gave him the best chance he could have. Again, I'm truly sorry.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Oh no, I'm so sorry to hear that he didn't make it. You gave him the best chance possible and I'm sure he appreciated being treated well even if for a little while. I know how you're feeling right now and it's no good. Please keep trying and using your knowledge/experience to help more dragons in Hercules' memory.

khartley

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thanks so much you guys. Today has definitely been hard. I buried him in the garden with his favorite things and even a small container of his favorite food for when he gets to the other side and is hungry.

I have 5 other rescue dragons, but they all share my heart equally. I gave them all extra cuddles and kisses today.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
khartley":1y2notyl said:
I have 5 other rescue dragons, but they all share my heart equally. I gave them all extra cuddles and kisses today.

I'm glad, they deserve it! I buried both of my guys with their favorite things as well and each has a beer to help them along (Cooper's Ale from Adelaide for Cooper, Dundee Honey Brown from Rochester for Dundee). It helps me to know that they aren't without their favorite stuff and they're having a good time now and I'm sure Hercules is enjoying himself now that he is healthy too.

Zuzu

I'm sorry ): At least you know you didn't give up on him and did everything you could. You were the best help he could have.

Esther19

BD.org Addict
I am so sorry for your loss. You both fought good fight, but he was just too sick to stay. How fortunate Hercules was to have had you to love him, even though it was just for a few months. He will be waiting for you in the next dimension.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I am so sorry that Hercules passed away. :cry: He was a lucky boy to have you taking care of him & I am sure that he was very happy, too. You will most definitely see him again, his soul will be around forever.
Oh no, I was afraid of renal issues with the eye swelling. Dr. Mader did not mention that?

My sincere condolences to you & your family.

Tracie

khartley

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Dr. Mader personally did not see him, his colleage Dr. Whalen did. He thought it was metabolic and we were along the same page with hypuvitaminosis A. But he wanted Dr Maders opinion, so he took pictures and sent him an email with details. Dr. Mader got back quickly and suggested an ultrasound, and blood work. I wanted to get blood work to check renal function but Dr Whalen was leaving for his time off before he would have been able to check and give me results.

I honestly don't know if I could have stopped it. It was very sudden, everything happened in a matter of 3 days, and of course began on a saturday evening so he had to be in pain a day and a half before I could get him checked, Whalen is the only herp vet in my area. If I could have gotten him in sooner... I just don't know. Either way I'm glad to know he enjoyed his last few months of life.

khartley

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I did notice Tuesday evening before I put him to bed, that he did have what seemed like a lot of fluid is his lower belly. Kinda made my heart sink a little.

Esther19

BD.org Addict
You did your absolute best for him. They mask their illnesses so well, so as not to invite predators.
I doubt that there was anything to be done for him. He crossed over knowing he was loved. That's the most anyone can ask for.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChekeNerton523
Top Bottom