Need basic info fast!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shakey90

Hey peoples...Basically my situation is i bought a sand boa snake but it turned out to be a bit unwell and wont eat so ill be returning it tomorrow and i have my eye on a lovely baby beardie. The tank i hav now is very small (about 2x2) but it is only tempory as i will be building a 4x2x2. But for the meantime, its big enough for her/him (too early to tell).I need to know the basic requirements for her fast. I have a 75 wat bulb for basking and a water dish. My thermometer is reading about 80 (its only a crap one. will be upgrading). From what i hav read, I need it to be around 100. I think i need:
1. UVB tube light
2. Solid floor(probably paper towel for meantime)
3. The calcium stuff to dust the crickets in
4. A proper thermometer
5. Basking rock

Is there anything else i should be getting? And how do i get the temp up for the new arrival?
Would appreciate any info or input.
cheers

ya you need the temp between 105 and 110. you could try to raise up the rock or a piece of wood or cork would be better, if you cant you might have to get a bigger bulb

wizbee

Juvie Member
Hello! Please check out the caresheets at the top of the page. Proper temps and the right uvb bulb are essential. Food and supplements are very important as well as hydration. Please read carefully and ask questions.

Shakey90

Original Poster
thanks for the tips. I hav read the care sheets just there. Think i know what to get anyway. I just want to make sure im doing things right and get a bit educated about them so i wont mess up since it will be my first beardie. Thanks for the advice ill let you know how it goes. excitin stuff haha

Lsorrent

Juvie Member
That small of a tank is going to be WAY too difficult to get the proper temperature gradient. Not to mention that'll only be big enough for a young dragon. How temporary is temporary for this tank? Beardies grow pretty quickly, so you'll want to make sure you have enough time before he grows.

Shakey90

Original Poster
ya im gonna hav to try get the temps right. Dont worry its very tempory. Started designing some tanks today. Gonna get the materials soon so its pretty temporary

akingsley9000

Gray-bearded Member
Hi,

Here is a list of all the items you will need for a happy and healthy beardie:

Option 1:
40 gallon breeder tank (minimum for an adult)
Basking bulb (this can be just an ordinary house holdbulb)
Clamp lamp (for basking bulb)
36" Reptisun 10 tube or Repti-glo 8.0 (if you can find it) (need to be replaced every 6 months)
Florescent light fixture (you can get these at home depot or lowes, they are shop lights)
Substrate for the bottom - non-adhesive shelf liner, paper towels, news paper, tile, washed & sifted childrens play sand (sand for sub-adults/adults only)
Thermometer - either a digital one with a probe or a temp gun
Basking platform
Food dishes
Calcium with D3 Phosperus free
Multi-vitiman
Large Cricket Keeper

Option 2:
40 gallon breeder tank (minimum for an adult)
Mercury Vapor Bulb (t-rex active heat uv, power sun or reptileUV) (these are more expenseive to start with but are much better and last 2x as long)
Deep Clamp lamp (for MVB)
Clamp lamp (incase you need extra light at the other end of the viv)
Substrate for the bottom - non-adhesive shelf liner, paper towels, news paper, tile, washed & sifted childrens play sand (sand for sub-adults/adults only)
Thermometer - either a digital one with a probe or a temp gun
Basking platform
Food dishes
Calcium no D3 Phosperus free
Multi-vitiman
Large Cricket Keeper

Things to stay away from:
colored bulbs
coil/compact bulbs
any bulbs by ESU or Zilla
Calci-Sand
Repti-Sand

~Allison

ya large cricket cage, i had a small one. it was ok at first but after the bd got 3 or 4 months old i had to get crickets every other day. got a big one now and only have to get crickets once a week or so. im thinking about getting a 10 gallon aquarium so i can get crickets in bulk. im paying about 10 cents a cricket, and from what iv heard if i buy them in bulk i could get them for about 3 or 4 cents each. :whip: GET ME CRICKETS

akingsley9000

Gray-bearded Member
I had a small one at first too - problem was little crickets could escape through the little hole in the top. :roll: With the big one they couldn't get close enough to the top.

Shakey90

Original Poster
Cant upload the pic for ye but I can say I am the proud owner of a baby beardie. Named him/her Leo! So all ye people are gonna hav to guide me for the next while so get used to me :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylis342
Top Bottom