Need Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

keschete

Sub-Adult Member
I need the advice of someone who has a lot of experience.

We have the power out and we DO have a generator. We are in the middle of Isaac. Lost power at midnight. The Beardies are both BIG guys. 700-800 grams. I can't run all the lights all day because we need to run the fridge and other things.

They have been without lights all day (last 8 hours) that they would normally get lights. It is about 82 degrees in the house. Both of them are cool but not cold and they are both nicely alert. Of course I am not feeding them until they can get adequate heat to digest. How many hours a day do they NEED the lights? I can switch them back and forth off the fridge electrical line. Of course when the sun comes out, I can just sun them outside.

Just need opinions about what heat they really need, or do you think they will possibly just start brumating a it is pretty dark in the house. Only running a few lights and the windows are shuttered.

Thanks in advance,

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there....first of all,I hope that you and your family all stay safe ! As for your beardies, they will be fine. They may go in to a mini brumation, with eyes closed, or stay awake + just reduce activity. They obviously are huge, so it won't hurt them to be without food. They should have no problem at all.

discojan

Juvie Member
Hope y'all are ok...Those are some BIG beardies, and we thought our princess was big at 650-700! Probably they should be fine, especially if it is warm and they can sun outside (unless it is still raining from ISaac). You could put them on your body, which is 98ish F, and keep'em snuggled up that way...Just a thought...Also, if you've got those hand warmer things (for when it snows or camping) they might help? They don't require electricity....

keschete

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
AHBD":2asx527d said:
Hi there....first of all,I hope that you and your family all stay safe ! As for your beardies, they will be fine. They may go in to a mini brumation, with eyes closed, or stay awake + just reduce activity. They obviously are huge, so it won't hurt them to be without food. They should have no problem at all.

Thanks, I just wanted someone's expert opinion. They both look great, but I love them, so I wanted to make sure! I have a Green Tree Monitor and a Frilled Dragon. I tried to give all of them heat lights today at least a few hours. Everyone looks good, but hate to see them not basking.

The storm is moving off, but has been directly over us for about 24 hours. No major damage, this thing just needs to go.

I really appreciate the reassurance more than you will ever know.

This is my big guy Diablo....had him since he weighed 14 grams...

08b9b6c7.jpg

keschete

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
discojan":2esd54bv said:
Hope y'all are ok...Those are some BIG beardies, and we thought our princess was big at 650-700! Probably they should be fine, especially if it is warm and they can sun outside (unless it is still raining from ISaac). You could put them on your body, which is 98ish F, and keep'em snuggled up that way...Just a thought...Also, if you've got those hand warmer things (for when it snows or camping) they might help? They don't require electricity....

Thanks, it looks like the storm is moving out, they looked really good after a few hours of heat, I just checked, we are 85 in the house right now. Yeah, can you say HOT and 100% humidity. Hopefully power back on soon.

I will just heat them for a few hours and not feed anyone. and yeah, they are big guys, they weigh 3 times what the Monitor weighs. He deals the best with all this, He just hides in his log being pissed off. The Frilled is a fatty too.

Funny enough, I have a hot water bottle and hot water to fill it, but someone brought me 3 pinky squirrels today and so they get the hot water bottle. I used to rehab wildlife, so I get all the hurricane victims,

Thanks again!! Wish the power back on for us soon. :mrgreen:

keschete

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Here are the squirrels...eating good, it would probably be great if it was 90 in the house....but it is HOT at 85 even with a fan,

883F1C6D-D84B-4E60-8AD3-8A721BC2D0BA-7626-000019B03785AA57.jpg

keschete

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
discojan":2p2tfpht said:
Diablo is sooooooooo cute!!

Thanks, he is my big boy, Ash is my other, a Marketed Leucistic and he is slightly smaller, but just as handsome.

as2.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cr0w
Top Bottom