Need advice on timer, feeding time, and night temperature

Status
Not open for further replies.

mudskipper

Juvie Member
I have been reading about beardies for a couple of months now, but I have not bought a beardie yet. I think they are adorable and I would really love to own one, but I wonder if I should because of my schedule. Here are my questions. Any advices or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. :)

1) I keep reading that a juvenile beardie needs to eat 2 or 3 times a day. How do YOU accomplish this if you don't work from home or if you work late? Along with a salad dish, can I leave a dish filled with dubia nymphs in his tank just like how I leave mealworms in dishes for my leopard geckos? So he can eat anytime he wants. I can find a dish that dubias can't climb out. If the dubias are all eaten, I can feed him more dubias when I get home in the evening. After a week, I should know how many dubias to leave in the dish. Would this work?

2) Which leads to the next question, can I set the timer to automatically turn on the UVB light and the basking lamp to be on from 10 a.m. - midnight? It's still 14 hours as instructed on care sheets except a few time zones behind.. LOL... My apartment is in the basement so there's no natural light. This is what I already do on all my fish tanks so that I can feed them at night when I get home, which can be 10 p.m. a couple of nights a week. I would be playing with him and bathing him in the evening, too. I also have a dog, and he follows this schedule as well. Would this work?

3) I have read a few posts that mentioned that the heat lamp should stay on at least 2 hours after the last meal so the beardie can digest the food. What if I also use a heat pad with a thermostat to always keep the warm side at least 90F like in my leopard gecko tanks? Every care sheet I have read says the minimum night temperature should be 65F, but no one has ever talked about the maximum night temperature. Would the warm temperature keep him up?

Thank you!!!

Goodtruant

Sub-Adult Member
1) We feed our beardie twice a day. My wife feeds Draper in the morning before she goes to work, since I'm up and out of the house before his lights are on. And since I get home first, I feed him in the evening. We always put a fresh bowl of greens in his viv everyday. We do leave a dish with dubia's in his viv. We dust them with a multivitamin and/or calcium, and put a little bit of his greens in the dish also. We use a ceramic dish with steep sides, they cannot climb out. Kinda like these: http://www.amazon.com/Set-of-4-Porcelain-Ramekins/dp/B002UED880/ref=sr_1_7?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1344583169&sr=1-7&keywords=Ceramic

2) As long as you keep the lighting pretty consistent, that's totally fine.

3) Beardies need to get warm then have a temp drop at night to get a good sleep, and helps their metabolism and and immune systems. Keeping him warm all night will disturb this. He will need the higher temps in the first 1.5-2 hours after eating a big beardie meal. This kind of messes with your bath and handling time, but if this is only a couple days a week, you might just let him be for those days. Leave the handling and baths for the other 5 days that you're home earlier?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mysticsalten
Top Bottom