Need Advice on Light options

Status
Not open for further replies.

triumphtt

Juvie Member
Hey everyone,
Have some photo's of my DIY enclosure and need some advice on how to place the lights. I bought a 160 watt MVB bulb because the vet said I should (is a very good vet has been around reptiles all his life and knows a ton highly recommented by just about everywhere I looked) for the size of enclosure I have 6'Lx2'Hx17"D.

Overall Size of enclosure. Nothing in it yet just made the Hide (in the center)
IMG_0946.JPG

Here's a pic of the right side. I bought two clamp lamps today at lowes cause the others I saw people using can only handle upto 150w. This was the only thing I saw and it just way to big and really have no idea how I'm going to place these lights. Also when I got the bulb it says to hang it vertically not horizontally or angled. I havn't seen many that are in the enclosure that are vertical. If it is vertical how do I get light to shine anwhere else but down. makes no sense to me. I got 6' to cover
IMG_0950.JPG

This is the height clearance ontop the hide obviously way to close and easily for him to get burned by
IMG_0952.JPG

I just threw a spare bulb in to see where the light would shine in that position and to see if it would be to easy for him to look directly into the light aswell as myself. Which it is.
IMG_0961.JPG

IMG_0962.JPG

Any sugestions would be appriciated. Kinda stuck I wanted too build up the enclosure more have some ledges like others have done and such just to give an idea of my plan. I plan on making the ledges around 12" high to give him just about every option he can have on climbing or staying low and also trying to wedge himself into some places. Got a ways to get yet but the shell of it is done.
Thanks in advance everyone.
Dane

ziggy23

Gray-bearded Member
I'm not sure about the others, but with the megaray 160w then it needs a distance of 18-20 inches from the dragon. I believe all of the have similar requirements. If that is so, that bulb won't work, at least with that size. That would place them waaay too close. that's danger level there. tubes work by giving a shade level of uv over a large space, MVB work by giving full sun levels in a small area. A lot of the MVB are having problems right now, but if you really want to go that route, then you'll probably have to get a smaller bulb.

As far as the cool side, you can use a small heat bulb, or a CHE to keep the temps up.

triumphtt

Juvie Member
Original Poster
hey ziggy ty for the quick reply from the lamp to the side is actually 26". but my main concern was how low the bulb would sit. I had already ordered the light but it was broke when i got it so had to send it back. ZOOMED reptisun i think it was. I was afraid that the tube lights would be to far away to give him what he needs. I'll wait for some more responses but yeah I'm just new to everything and just stuck with wait this thing is way to big but didn't think the others were big enough lol so much for being easy.

triumphtt

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Talked to ZOOMED today since I had a broken bulb delivered and decided I am getting a repti sun 10 like everyone one seems to have I just didn't think they would penatrate as far as a MVB. So I'm gonna do a 48". So new question is will one be enough or do 2 at a time got a double fixture at lowes for $13 so can do either. Also spot light I have a GE reveal 75 watt I'm using right now. Do you think I should have a basking spot on both ends of the enclosure since is 6' long or just test out some temps 1st? Thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beardiemomg
Top Bottom