need advice about my enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.

AFirst-TimeLizardOwner

Original Poster
so i got a baby beardie for christmas (ive been asking for years and my parents got a promotion)
and i need some enclosure advice. he for some reason is near the window and staring at the curtains often.
one time i was getting some water when i woke up and noticed he was pressed on the window with his tail in the water
my uncle has a beardie and sometimes i ask for advice from him
also, strangely my humidity detector things are never in the blue zone
heres my enclosure because i dont wanna describe it:
IMG_20220106_182217949.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
so i got a baby beardie for christmas (ive been asking for years and my parents got a promotion)
and i need some enclosure advice. he for some reason is near the window and staring at the curtains often.
one time i was getting some water when i woke up and noticed he was pressed on the window with his tail in the water
my uncle has a beardie and sometimes i ask for advice from him
also, strangely my humidity detector things are never in the blue zone
heres my enclosure because i dont wanna describe it:
View attachment 66548
Ok if it's close to that window it's going to effect the temps in the tank- please tell me the uvb your using No coils they are inadequate for a uvb - basking temps need to be 105-110 for a baby taken w/ a digital probe thermometer- you want surface temps place the probe on the spot where he sits to bask wait 10 min then get the temp- if your using a kit I am assuming you have a coil uvb- these things I have posted about are crucial to your dragons overall behavior and health

AFirst-TimeLizardOwner

Original Poster
Ok if it's close to that window it's going to effect the temps in the tank- please tell me the uvb your using No coils they are inadequate for a uvb - basking temps need to be 105-110 for a baby taken w/ a digital probe thermometer- you want surface temps place the probe on the spot where he sits to bask wait 10 min then get the temp- if your using a kit I am assuming you have a coil uvb- these things I have posted about are crucial to your dragons overall behavior and health
i have an analog thermometer, and only one coil lightbulb. im gonna get a upgrade the other is a mercury vapor bulb

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
i have an analog thermometer, and only one coil lightbulb. im gonna get a upgrade the other is a mercury vapor bulb
Please get rid of the coil bulb is that a uvb? The mvb is what brand ? Please invest in 2 digital probe thermometers the analog temperature gauge is good for ambient temps only you are not getting correct basking temps- your going to need to get a long tube uvb - most mvb's do not emit enough uvb - this will effect your dragons eating -

AFirst-TimeLizardOwner

Original Poster
they are uvbs yeah and ill see if i can find one. but what you are saying is that the analog ones dont show the correct heat? because the basking side has a mecury bulb and the cooling side is the one with coils. also, what is a long tube uvb???????????????

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
they are uvbs yeah and ill see if i can find one. but what you are saying is that the analog ones dont show the correct heat? because the basking side has a mecury bulb and the cooling side is the one with coils. also, what is a long tube uvb???????????????
what brand is your MVB and the wattage of it please - do you have it sitting on the screen or hanging above w/ no screen? the long tube UVB is what you need MVB's do not emit enough UVB for them you want this for your extra UVB
24" Zoo Med w/ a 22" Reptisun 10.0 T 5 bulb for a tank that is 18" tall -- this will come w/ a 5.0 keep it for a back up the distance and placement is different from the bulb you need for a 40 + gallon tank
Zoo Med ReptiSun T5 HO Hood 24" fixture
22 Zoo Med ReptiSun 10.0 UVB T5 HO"
Coils look like this Zoo Med ReptiSun 10.0 UVB Mini CFL
this is bad do not use this---- they cause all kinds of health issues
please tell me the MVB your using --
please get the extra UVB

AFirst-TimeLizardOwner

Original Poster
what brand is your MVB and the wattage of it please - do you have it sitting on the screen or hanging above w/ no screen? the long tube UVB is what you need MVB's do not emit enough UVB for them you want this for your extra UVB
24" Zoo Med w/ a 22" Reptisun 10.0 T 5 bulb for a tank that is 18" tall -- this will come w/ a 5.0 keep it for a back up the distance and placement is different from the bulb you need for a 40 + gallon tank
Zoo Med ReptiSun T5 HO Hood 24" fixture
22 Zoo Med ReptiSun 10.0 UVB T5 HO"
Coils look like this Zoo Med ReptiSun 10.0 UVB Mini CFL
this is bad do not use this---- they cause all kinds of health issues
please tell me the MVB your using --
please get the extra UVB
the bulbs im using are zoo-med reptisun and i think the wattage is 150W max. its ontop of a screen. again, im awaiting delivery for a digital thermo and better lightbulbs.

AFirst-TimeLizardOwner

Original Poster
i mean you asked about wether the lamp was on the screen and i said yes.
also, his cage feels a little empty and he never gets much to do.
i mean, i put a little rubber duck in there to see if maybe he would want it
but is there any sorta toys or decorations that could give him something to do?
oh yeah also he hates the color of my gloves because my brother handled him without my permission and made him angry every time he sees them now, is there any way to get him to stop trying to bite me when i feed him now?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
oh yeah also he hates the color of my gloves because my brother handled him without my permission and made him angry every time he sees them now, is there any way to get him to stop trying to bite me when i feed him now?
Dragons do not play w/ toys -- the best way to keep him from getting bored is to take him out of his tank if hes a year old-- if hes still a baby I would recommend handling him in the tank especially if he biting -- you dont want to lose him they can get into places that are hard to get out of - you can take him place him on the back of a chair or couch in front of a window let him look out the window they like that - you can set him on the floor and let him explore your room / LR but you must beardie proof it --- no stuff on the floor he can eat get under something you cant get him out of - no cats or dogs etc --- sounds like he got traumatized by the glove --- what are you trying to hand feed him? Horn worms super worms are good treat worms use those when hand feeding -- that will get him used to you -- now the lamp on the screen I think is your basking bulb -- the UVB you got is the T 5 correct? Please post a pic of the screen so I can see it --- we need to get the UVB properly placed w/ placement and distance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J.sobrero
Top Bottom