Need a little help

Status
Not open for further replies.

spyder86

Hatchling Member
Very jumbled sorry, please read the whole thing
Thank You

I have had my two beardies Yoshi and Kengo for about 5 months now and they have grown like weeds. Recently I had to go out of town for a weekend and left my babies in the care of my roommates with very specific directions on how to take care of them. When I returned they seemed fine but Kengo is not eating feeders (crickets, mealies, roaches) like she normally does, which is an absolute gluten, instead she has developed and obsession with her reflection in the glass and won't pay any attention to anything else. She does eat her greens and will sometimes go after a roach which are her favorite, but mostly is it stare herself down. Before you ask I have been on this site for a while and thus my setups are arranged as suggested here including bulbs, temps, and substrate. Kengo has even taken to hiding out most of the day and sleeping, i will come home for lunch to feed them and it looks like she has not moved from her hide. She still poops once a day and it looks good, so she is eating a little. I have tried feeding in other containers which Yoshi has no problems with but Kengo has always refused to do so, have tried since day one. I am going to take her to a vet, but the herp vet only comes once a month and that will be mid July next, I am taking her to the vet mainly because when I got back from my trip I found quit a bit of mold in the cricket keeper because it was extremely wet the 4 days I was gone and I am wondering if she ate a moldy cricket. I don't mean to make this sound like she only chases herself and sleeps because she will still move around here and there but it is just not the way she normally does. I don't know what could be causing this and I am 95% positive it is not the setup, because I have checked and double checked it, plus nothing has change from before I left. Also I bath 2-4 times a week depending on how busy I am, but I mist them every day and mist the greens to the point of flotation. I use rep-cal and once a day and vites 2 times a week.
Any Help or suggestion would be great.

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
Moved to Health
Hi
Sorry to hear about Kengo.How old is she?Did you ask your roomates if they fed her anything unusual or do anything unusual while you were gone?How long have you been back?

spyder86

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I got her when she was way to young to sell, but didn't know any better, I think two weeks old barely 4 inches, so she is just over 5 months. My roommates only fed what I left them and and I separated them out into containers for each meal. I think she must have eaten one that had some mold on it because one of the containers I had them in had a good amount of mold in it. Ive been back for a little over a week.

spurlee01

BD.org Addict
I know you said you've double checked your setup, but just to be sure you are watching temps right? I found that when my girl was hiding/ not eating her temps were too high. I really don't know what mold could do to a beardie, but am interested to see what others say. Hope she gets better-
Sara

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
Ok so the way I see it your looking at two possibilites the first is that she is suffering from a bit of relocation stress.Now I know she wasnt moved but what changed is that you were not there and I am sure they didnt care for her in the same exact manner you did.I am not saying they did anything wrong at all just different then you.Tey know who their human is and know when things are not the same.Now the second is uite possible have an upset stomach from the crix that were moldy which at such a young age could affect her even if it were only one or two.Do you have a probiotic?I recommend you get her some acidophilliz,SOY yogurt,or benebac and start giving that to her.Also try to keep her very hydrated so bathing daily and giving her some pedialyte will help flush her out a bit as well.Hopefully in a few days she will start to feel better and eat again.You can also pick up some repta-aid or jumpstart to try to get her appetite going.

spyder86

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I'm am like most people here and constantly adjust lights to make sure the temps are where they are supposed to be, I will try the biotic and see if that helps.
thank you.

spyder86

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Well I have got her to start eating a little again but she will only go after adult roaches which are way to big to be feeding to her. So I have been holding them while she rips chunks off. I ordered so reptaid that should get here tuesday. She seems to be coming out of her funk but still hates the site of crickets. She will run and hide in her hammock every time I put them in with her.

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
Hello
I am glad she is eating again that is a positive sign.Dont be suprised if she is totally done with the crix,all of mine have pretty much just stopped eating them all together.I think once new feeders are introduced its only a matter of time before they are done with them.Why eat hamburgers when you can have filet mignon? :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Harobuilt
Top Bottom