Nathaniel, Cierra, Castiel, Freya, Grrl; RIP GABRIEL

Status
Not open for further replies.
We never expected to get another dragon, but our neighbours next door wanted to give away Cleo, as he was called. We'd babysat him before, he's such a sweetheart. We nicknamed him Velcro because when he snuggles he never wants to go back to his viv, he hangs on as if he's made out of velcro.

So here he is. Today was his first day with us. He ate 13 supers and ate some squash, not bad for the first day he was here. He's only in a 30 gallon tank, which will be ok for now. He's 18" long but weighs only 200g. We figure he's probably 2 yrs old. Our neighbours rescued him last fall, they found him and a female (which they named Puff) on Craig's list. They were in a 30 gallon dirty tank, with sand and a huge log that took up 1/2 the space in the tank. Leo was at the bottom, he was sooooo skinny. He's gained weight, but never got the attention he deserved. I took some pics today, but will take more tomorrow. I think he remembers our place as didn't get stressed as I expected. No stress marks at all. When we let him run around the living room, he noticed our girls and immediate black beard, so his hormones are working!

He had a bath this morning, had a big poop, no smell, so not worried about parasites.

So here are a few pics, he's a yellow & dark gray, light gray colour.

Under the communal power sun in the living room:
sweetie2008401.jpg

Discovering there are girls in those tanks up above, he has a great black beard for such a skinny boy:
sweetie2008403.jpg

On the couch, he's got a pretty diamond pattern on his back:
sweetie2008412.jpg

sweetie2008413.jpg

Hope you enjoy
Deb and my six dragons :D :shock: :shock: :shock: :cry: :cry: :( :love5:

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Original Poster
Hey Matt, first I unlocked your thread for you and there's been alot happened. Rubio passed away last April, of a brain tumour. :( Then Lonzo passed in Nov from a tumour or abcess that burst on his kidney. He was 11 1/2 yrs old and had been failing, took him to the vet & had him put to sleep as we knew he wouldn't survive and it wasn't fair to him. So sad...Then Didi passed away on Jan 11, also of something that burst in his digestive tract, now that was sad, too. Tried everything my vet & I could to save him, but couldn't. When Lonzo passed away, I couldn't stand to see his empty tank, so I contacted a reptile rescue society close by and they had 3 brothers that had been in a small tank for a year. So Nathaniel came home with me on Dec 7. Then, 3 weeks ago, Nathaniel's brother came home, well turned out that he was a she & that's how Cierra joined our family. They've been great fun! It's good to have young ones in the house again, even though I miss my boys so very much :(

I did let Gabriel out tonight & he was a very good boy and was on the ramp watching TV when I got home. He got a good snuggle and was put to bed. When I put him in his tank, he bobbed me :roll: what can you do :mrgreen:

So I came home hoping that Cierra had a poop, not only did she do that but she's also exploding in shed. Her back, sides of her beard and her belly, think her arms and legs will be next. 1/2 her back still needs to come off, that would explain the lack of appetite the last few days (well, lack is a bit much, she still managed to mow down 70 crickets and 6 supers this am). Now if only Nathaniel had that appetite, he's still hovering at 300g & hardly eats. I've decided I'll just keep his dish full of roaches and hope for the best. He's healthy, that's for sure :D

As for Rocco, I have no idea what's wrong with him. He's in his hide, so it could be a shed that's coming loose, I just don't know. I can't take him to the vet, my vet has no idea about geckos much, but I think I will ask Jake if I can get hold of him. I'm hoping that's all it is. I sprayed down his tank well when I got him, in case it's just lack of moisture that's causing his issue. Bunny's done the same thing, but a few drops of calcium over a couple of days put her right. I've tried to feed Rocco, he just won't open his mouth at all. I've left Repashy in his tank, he won't touch it. I'm hopin he'll be all right. I have to take Leo to the vet next Saturday, so I'll ask her if she's ever come across a gecko with that kind of problem. It's never happened to him before in 7 years. I'll keep you posted.

Hi Kami, I'm very concerned about Rocco, too, will keep you posted. I'm hoping he'll feel better soon.

Goonie

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
I did a quick Google search and found this (same answers from 3 different websites):

There are three reasons a goldie will not walk up glass:

1. The goldie is in the process of shedding. Post-shed the goldie will stick like velcro again.

2. The tank walls are too dry - to the point that the goldie is trying to walk on dust and can’t get a firm grip on the glass, which doesn’t appear to be your problem.

3. The tank walls are too wet - to the point that the goldie is trying to walk up a waterfall. If your tank humidity is 99%, that would be why.

The humidity can be fine at 66%. 70 is optimal. 99 is too much.

Hope Rocco's getting ready to shed his feet and that nothing else is wrong with him.

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Original Poster
I'm hoping so, too, Gina, when he gets on the wall, his feet are tightened, not spread out like they're supposed to be. And the humidity isn't that high, maybe 70%, I spray his tree & the wall behind the tree & clean his tank weekly, so it's not that either. He spends alot of time holding onto the mesh at the top of his tank, that's how he's warming up right now. Then he spends time on his fig tree. I also put a small log that was in Gabriel's tank, along the back, it's very sturdy and if he hold himself up at the top, he can spread himself along the back wall where his heating pad is. I'm thinking of getting him an under the tank heater, for now, I'm going to check prices. The problem with those is they don't have any timer, so can get really hot. So I'll see what I can find. Maybe a thin human heating pad will do the trick. I just want him to have heat along the bottom for now, so he can be on the bottom and get warmer. He seems nice and healthy, so I'm glad for that.

Cierra seems to be done shedding for now and ate a bunch of crickets, can't wait to get those worms in, but not yet, I'm hoping they'll bring them over this weekend. Couldn't get ahold of Jake yesterday. So will call him tomorrow if I haven't heard.

Oki05

Gray-bearded Member
Oh wow I have missed a lot. Well I'm so sorry to hear about everyone passing away I'm sure they were very happy being with you. I cant believe Rubio passed away he was my favorite his yellow coloring was gorgeous. I bet he felt like a king in his home and loved you very much I'm sure all of them did and there in a better place now. Well it's nice to hear that you have new family members and can't wait to see pic of them. I'm going to go now and post on Ridley's topic so you can see what all I have made you guys missed.

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Original Poster
Hi Matt, here are pics of Cierra and Nathaniel:
Cierra:
11887-9069848517.jpg
11887-7265363149.jpg
11887-6407382307.jpg

Nathaniel:
11887-172679024.jpg
11887-6004934087.jpg
11887-7095957934.jpg

They are both alot of fun!

Here are pics of Puff and Leo, they're the same age and were rescued together in 2010. Leo is a very laid back dragon and they are the only two that can be out together, with supervision, of course.
Beside each other after their baths:
11887-9603772717.jpg
On the ramp together:
11887-4804917392.jpg

Gabriel is now 4 years old, time sure goes fast! He is my resident stud and thinks he owns us all :lol:
11887-9242242351.jpg

I have wonderful news, Eric, Tara, Leo and Safara were at my parents when I went there early today, got there at 4:30p and they had been there for awhile already! So Gail took lots of pics of us all, then we all went to the dinner. Unfortunately the kids were really overtired and started fussing alot, so they ended up packaging up their dinners and going home. But it was so lovely seeing the four of them, what a wonderful surprise! I'll post lots of pics tomorrow. I'm just too tired tonight!
:blob5: :blob8: :blob8: :blob5: :blob8: :blob5:

Oki05

Gray-bearded Member
Wow Deb they look amazing I can't wait to hear more about them and hearing about their misadventures. That's nice that you got to see everyone.

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Original Poster
Thanks Nancy, I've never seen a dragon chow down like she does! I'm going to weigh her again this am & Puff, too, see if she's gained a bit more weight.

So here are pics of Eric & Safara, Eric, me & Leo, me & Leo plus Ian (b-i-l) and Safara and pics of us all at the dinner:
11887-7183511783.jpg
11887-6296222522.jpg
11887-6033028681.jpg
11887-4396881857.jpg
11887-7702865414.jpg
11887-5200316482.jpg
11887-9512891550.jpg
11887-7318632169.jpg
11887-9052609889.jpg
11887-6071550944.jpg
11887-4876094959.jpg
11887-6678796871.jpg
11887-2326939032.jpg

Now the dinner:
Tristan, my niece Jenny's husband, kept Ryder busy :lol:
11887-2719470430.jpg
My nieces Emily and Carly and my nephew Cole and my b-i-l Ian
11887-9067657943.jpg
Tristan even kept Ryder busy when I took a pic of Jenny and my brother David:
11887-8525509997.jpg
Jenny's parents, my cousin Janet & husband Neil
11887-9296757648.jpg
Mom and Dad
11887-1309590829.jpg
my parents friends Susan and Hank (sitting) and my sister Gail and brother Richard standing
11887-1577458755.jpg
David, Cole and Ryder. Cole has grown to 5'11" in the last year, he's 14 1/2 yrs old! So I don't think he's finished growing :shock:
11887-3072093935.jpg

It was a wonderful night, we all had a good time and the only pictures I missed were of my aunt and uncle. But I'm going to my cousin's on the 25th, the day before they leave, so will get pics then.

I am still smiling about seeing Eric, Tara and the kids. It was the best surprise :love5:

Goonie

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
sweetiepie9":1fgk5dvu said:
I have wonderful news, Eric, Tara, Leo and Safara were at my parents when I went there early today
:shock: To say that I'm shocked that the kids were at your parents' house is an understatement. Whatever happened to they weren't going because it'll be too late for the kids to be up? Well, I'm glad that they did swallow their selfish pride and show up.

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Original Poster
It was a wonderful visit, Gina, and I've forgiven them completely. They were both warm and loving to the whole family so I'm really glad they changed their minds. Their life with 2 kids is soo busy, but I think I'll be seeing them more often. Gail and I told Tara that if she needs a bit of time off, we'd go over to babysit so she can just relax. Her mom takes Leo to the libraray for reading time every Tuesday, which gives her a bit of a break. I was so surprised to see them and it was a great visit!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cr0w
Top Bottom