Nathaniel, Cierra, Castiel, Freya, Grrl; RIP GABRIEL

Status
Not open for further replies.
We never expected to get another dragon, but our neighbours next door wanted to give away Cleo, as he was called. We'd babysat him before, he's such a sweetheart. We nicknamed him Velcro because when he snuggles he never wants to go back to his viv, he hangs on as if he's made out of velcro.

So here he is. Today was his first day with us. He ate 13 supers and ate some squash, not bad for the first day he was here. He's only in a 30 gallon tank, which will be ok for now. He's 18" long but weighs only 200g. We figure he's probably 2 yrs old. Our neighbours rescued him last fall, they found him and a female (which they named Puff) on Craig's list. They were in a 30 gallon dirty tank, with sand and a huge log that took up 1/2 the space in the tank. Leo was at the bottom, he was sooooo skinny. He's gained weight, but never got the attention he deserved. I took some pics today, but will take more tomorrow. I think he remembers our place as didn't get stressed as I expected. No stress marks at all. When we let him run around the living room, he noticed our girls and immediate black beard, so his hormones are working!

He had a bath this morning, had a big poop, no smell, so not worried about parasites.

So here are a few pics, he's a yellow & dark gray, light gray colour.

Under the communal power sun in the living room:
sweetie2008401.jpg

Discovering there are girls in those tanks up above, he has a great black beard for such a skinny boy:
sweetie2008403.jpg

On the couch, he's got a pretty diamond pattern on his back:
sweetie2008412.jpg

sweetie2008413.jpg

Hope you enjoy
Deb and my six dragons :D :shock: :shock: :shock: :cry: :cry: :( :love5:

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Original Poster
So I finally took a picture of Nathaniel that really shows the difference in him since December. I took this picture of him sleeping not long after I got him, to show how really skinny he was:
11887-9764192830.jpg

Now the same pose but from last night, shows the real difference in him:
11887-2104292447.jpg

Hard to believe he's the same dragon! I'm so pleased with how well he's doing. And he's shedding his head and a good part of his body, I think his back legs, too.

And here's Cierra in her favourite day pose, sexy legs and all LOL She's also starting to shed all over, I find different places starting up every day since she finished laying the eggs
11887-12077727.jpg

Gabriel had fun climbing the partition across the balcony door:
11887-2217623173.jpg
11887-8627398335.jpg
He so rarely does this, it was fun to watch him try to figure out how to get back inside :lol:

I put Leo out in the sun and decided to see how Gabriel would react. Within 2 minutes, Gabriel's beard was dark and he was starting to move towards Leo, not in a good way, so he was brought inside and Leo was left in peace in the sunshine. Poor sweet boy, he's shedding as much as Gabriel is.
11887-5754989684.jpg

Gabriel sleeping, he does this alot, looks so weird:
11887-6755408016.jpg
He's also enjoying his cool side more often lately
11887-769519210.jpg

Nathaniel decided to do some snuggling with me one day, he's such a snuggler!
11887-3053837801.jpg

Goonie

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
December as in 2014?!? Holy cow! He's a totally different beardie now!

That Gabriel is such a troublemaker! He's always up to something.

I guess only Cierra could be out with Leo. Poor guy.

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Original Poster
Yes, Gina, sorry, Dec/14 and he does look like a completely different beardie. I think he's grown in length again, too. I'm hoping both he and Cierra manage to get to 18" long, that would be wonderful.

Gabriel is always doing something different :lol:

Leo could be with anyone, if they'd behave, but Cierra has decided that Leo is her own personal beardie. They're out together on the ramp in the morning now and Cierra likes to lie across his back. She also likes to kiss him alot :love5:

Goonie

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
sweetiepie9":ysvdwaiz said:
Leo could be with anyone, if they'd behave, but Cierra has decided that Leo is her own personal beardie. They're out together on the ramp in the morning now and Cierra likes to lie across his back. She also likes to kiss him alot :love5:
It's a shame that Leo would be very happy sitting with anyone, but that doesn't reciprocate for exception of Cierra. Maybe she views him as a grandpa figure of some sorts?

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Original Poster
I think Cierra just finds him to be safe, unlike Gabriel and Nathaniel. I haven't let them be outside on their own yet (in other words, without me being in the same room), just in case, but they've sat out in the sunshine together and now on the ramp. She doesn't seem to mind sharing with him and she still visits in his tank every once in awhile.

Yep, it was hilarious to watch what Gabriel would do to get inside but he was finally just stuck, so Mom to the rescue :lol:

Tonja

BD.org Addict
I cant believe the difference in Nathaniel. WOW has he grown. The pictures of Gabriel are priceless. Glad leo got some time out in sunshine. Cierra is pretty and how is that pose comfortable. Hurts my neck to look at it. You sure have your hands full and I bet you are always laughing at their antics. So funny, love seeing pictures of your crew.

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Original Poster
Hi Tonja, I didn't even realize the change in Nathaniel until I glanced over the other day while he was on the ramp and realized how big he'd gotten :shock: So I pulled out that pic I'd taken one night a month or so after I go him and took another picture about the same pose & wow, what a difference. Cierra doesn't seem to show the difference like he did, so I'll have to find another picture of her from before. She's seems so delicate, but she's tough cookie :lol:

And as for Gabriel, he's just too big to get over that partition, Nathaniel and Cierra manage just fine, he's just a big goof. As for his sleeping position, he loves to sleep like that, it really does hurt my neck to see it, but he seems to be comfy :dontknow:

They do keep me hopping, Tonja, they make me laugh every day. Lots of work but love it :mrgreen:

Mushupork

Hatchling Member
Hi Deb, I found you! I came here with it completely set in my mind that I was going to read your entire thread, but I don't think I would ever catch up... Ever. You've done such an amazing job with Nathaniel. He looks great. They're all very lucky to have you. :D Did I see you say that Nathaniel and Cierra are twins. This sounds silly, but that does mean they're from the same egg right? Does that happen often.

Do they just sit out there like that with no issues? Mushu just hides under my hair when we're outside. I really don't think any of us will ever understand the appeal in some of these poses. Then again, during the summer I used to sleep with my legs up on the wall because it was cold.

-Jess

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Original Poster
Cierra and Nathaniel are brother & sister, I just call them twins, I got them from a local rescue, they were together with another brother in a small tank for a year. They were really small when I got them; Cierra was 15" long and 185g & Nathaniel was 15 1/2" long and 218g, both at a year old. Now Cierra is 17" long and 340g or more & Nathaniel is 17 1/2" long and 396g (that was a week ago, they might be a bit heavier, I weigh them tomorrow). They're both alot of fun, always doing something silly.

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Original Poster
Well, it looks like I'll be getting one of Sabrina's babies. She's the owner of Tonks, who just passed away. She's got a few babies left from a unexpected pairing of her girl Draca. He's a big boy, 9 months old and loves to eat, so fits right in! I'm talking with Reptile Express to get him up here by June 11, seems it's not as expensive as I thought and I can afford it, especially since this is the baby she wanted to give me to begin with! I'm so excited. He doesn't really have a name, so he'll be called Castiel. I'll keep you all posted. I knew Puff would open the way for a dragon to come into our family and join my crew. He'll be much loved! He's also used to seeing other dragons, so that works, too. Here's a picture of him:
11887-7501399456.jpg
Looks like he's shedding :D

Goonie

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Congratulations on your new baby boy!!

I am certain that Castiel will fit in with your crew with no problems. I wonder how Nathaniel will react to another male competing for his "majesty" status :lol:

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Original Poster
It will be very much fun to watch. I don't think he'll like it, having another black bearding bobber in the house :lol: But it was such a surprise to learn that I could afford the shipping after all, then to find out that this is the only male of Draca's clutch that was never able to be sold. He's a beauty and I can't wait to bring him home. And I have that day off, have a morning appointment, so will be able to bring him home from the Fex Ex hub in the afternoon, if I can't, my friend Joanne lives close by so she said she'd pick him up after work. I can't believe this might work out! I keep saying might because I still can't believe this is happening!

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Original Poster
Thanks Esther, I'm just getting all the info together & calling Reptile Express 1 more time to make sure all the info is ok. Have to find out who boxes him up for shipping, too. I'm just quivering with excitement, it's going to be hard to sleep this week until he's home.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
El heffe
Top Bottom