Nathaniel, Cierra, Castiel, Freya, Grrl; RIP GABRIEL

Status
Not open for further replies.
We never expected to get another dragon, but our neighbours next door wanted to give away Cleo, as he was called. We'd babysat him before, he's such a sweetheart. We nicknamed him Velcro because when he snuggles he never wants to go back to his viv, he hangs on as if he's made out of velcro.

So here he is. Today was his first day with us. He ate 13 supers and ate some squash, not bad for the first day he was here. He's only in a 30 gallon tank, which will be ok for now. He's 18" long but weighs only 200g. We figure he's probably 2 yrs old. Our neighbours rescued him last fall, they found him and a female (which they named Puff) on Craig's list. They were in a 30 gallon dirty tank, with sand and a huge log that took up 1/2 the space in the tank. Leo was at the bottom, he was sooooo skinny. He's gained weight, but never got the attention he deserved. I took some pics today, but will take more tomorrow. I think he remembers our place as didn't get stressed as I expected. No stress marks at all. When we let him run around the living room, he noticed our girls and immediate black beard, so his hormones are working!

He had a bath this morning, had a big poop, no smell, so not worried about parasites.

So here are a few pics, he's a yellow & dark gray, light gray colour.

Under the communal power sun in the living room:
sweetie2008401.jpg

Discovering there are girls in those tanks up above, he has a great black beard for such a skinny boy:
sweetie2008403.jpg

On the couch, he's got a pretty diamond pattern on his back:
sweetie2008412.jpg

sweetie2008413.jpg

Hope you enjoy
Deb and my six dragons :D :shock: :shock: :shock: :cry: :cry: :( :love5:

NeosMom

Juvie Member
I'm so excited for you Deb. The picture of Nathaniel is amazing. That is an incredible improvement in such a short time. Cierra is such a sweet little thing. And I just love Gabriel climbing and your sun pictures of the boys. I would agree with everyone that it's a shame they can't get along, but mine never have. So, I guess the idea of them hanging out together is just foreign to me.

Congrats on your new family member. I hope everything works out. Can't wait to see his antics too.

Mindi

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Original Poster
Hi Mindi, so your boys don't get along either? I always thought that was normal until I met others whose dragons hang out and sleep together male and female, without resulting babies :lol: Took my by surprise!

I'm so excited about this big guy, I think he'll fit right in. Have to check again with Reptile Express about a few things before I send off the email that gets everything started. Just wanting for a phone call, then will call them. Have to get a few more things, then off to our 5 birthday birthday party this afternoon!

How are you doing in your new place? Guess you're getting used to it. Is the home schooling with Neo almost done for the summer? Must be nice to be home schooling him. Has he made any friends in your new place?

NeosMom

Juvie Member
Enjoy your parties today. I will be anxiously awaiting news that your new guy is on his way.

We have always had a mix of 2 females and one male. Fluffy is so ridiculously jealous that she snaps at Crystal when given the chance. If Crystal is running around and Fluffy sees her, she's at her door nose bumping and bearding at her. If Fluffy is out, she will go stand in front of Crystal's viv taunting her. I never let them out with Figment for fear of babies. And now I won't let them near Skellington for fear they might eat him. Although they visit at the doors and I think Skellington and Crystal could potentially be friends. The oddest thing is Skellington won't wave at them. He's totally fearless.

NC is nice. I'm impatient for my husband's company to build more stores so he can be promoted. Money is pretty tight until that finally happens. But I know it will be worth it. Homeschool is not as absolute as traditional. He finished math in March. He finished science the first week of May. But he will be continuing drivers ed into July probably. He starts core classes again August 10. That gives me 2 months to get ahead of him on reading and history. So I'm stuck doing Huck Finn and Moby Dick this summer. I'm glad we are doing this, but some days it feels like I'm going through high school all over again myself. He has a few good friends. All of them are from bowling. It's great for him. I'm getting a little burnt out on it though. But who knows... he could be the next Jason Belmonte. :D You'll have to look that one up. :wink:

Be good. I'm off to do my neglected ironing.

Mindi

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Original Poster
Sounds like you have a great life in NC. And I'm hoping your hubby will be promoted soon, too, extra $ always comes in handy. Sounds like Neo is doing really well being home schooled and bowling is a great game, glad he's making friends, too, that's so important. Sounds like it was a good move for you all.

Fluffy makes me laugh, reminds me of Angel, a dragon we had for awhile, she was a rescue but very fiesty and she always challenged Sweetie, who was the original Queen Bee in our crew. The interactions were enough that Angel couldn't be out when Sweetie and Issy were. They are funny creatures, in their ways. So she loves to abuse Crystal :roll: Bad girl :lol:

That's good that Skellington is fearless, good for him. Doesn't back down with Fluffy, that's also good. I can't wait to see pics of them all, you can post here if you have some. I love to see pictures of other people's dragons!

I'll keep you posted on Castiel, still trying to get through to Reptile Express, then will email them all the info later today.

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Original Poster
Well, it's all set, I'll have an invoice sent and Sabrina, who has to get him shipped, will let me know whatever cost she incurred and I'll send $ to compensate her. Wow, can't believe it's all done now!

I weighed the twins, they have gained a ton. Cierra is now 386g, up from 340 last Sunday and Nathaniel is now up to 427 from 396 last Sunday. Wow :shock: they're growing like weeds. I'm so pleased with their appetites!

Gabriel is very sleepy, do you think it's all the shedding he's still going through? He didn't gain any weight over the week, so that was good, but I'm wondering if 545 is too much weight for him. He's awake now, though.

Leo is also sleepy alot, I think it's age, plus he's shedding part of his head and beard. Poor guy, he is my senior after all.

NeosMom

Juvie Member
Yay!!!! I'm so excited for you. New dragons are such a joy.

I'm glad to see how much the twins are gaining in a single week. I was getting worried that Skellington was going to pop if he kept gaining like he is. Nice to know it's normal in these situations.

I've never known any of mine to get sleepy when they shed. Mostly Crystal and Skellington get crabby and don't want to be touched. Fluffy wants a good soft toothbrush scrub and snuggles. Figment was always so easy going he never showed the slightest change for anything.

And yes, Fluffy is trouble. But if you get to know her, you will see that it's 100% pure jealousy. Ha! Ha!

Mindi

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Original Poster
So it's in the works. Sabrina ordered the box Castiel will be shipped in, I pay the invoice & her cost on Friday and then it's all good to go. I have Thurs afternoon off, so will get to pick him up in a nearby town b4 end of day & he'll be home. He's 19" already at 9 mo old :shock: and he's already managed to impregnate one of his sisters, he somehow managed to get over the divider and she laid 19 fertile eggs :shock: so he'll be kept well away from Cierra, bad enough Nathaniel got to her. I think he'll fit right in! Wonder how big he'll be by the time he's done growing :D Can't wait to hear that he's been picked up on June 9, then he'll be home on June 11, I just can't wait :blob5: :blob8: :blob5:

I don't know why Gabriel is acting this way. If I pick him up & put him back in his tank, he'll be active and alert, so I think I'll need to handle him more and get him out of his tank more, too. His tail started shedding today, so I'm hoping the rest of him gets going, too. He's gained a bit of weight the last month, so I think it's time to put him on a bit of a diet, he's always done best at 500g and he's now at 545. So I'll see what I can do for him. If he's not feeling better within the month, he'll get to the vet early in July for a wellness check, blood work if necessary...

Goonie

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Do you think that Gabriel is only sulking and not really sleepy or ill?

Sounds like Castiel is another hormone-driven beardie, huh? :laughing6:

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Original Poster
Yep, Gina, that means I'll have 3 in the house (can't count Leo, nothing bothers him). So having all the boys in the living room will be good. Cierra is in the dining room, so she can keep an eye on them all without being intimidated. And he's going to be huge, he's already 19" long at 9 mo old :shock: I'm so looking forward to meeting him!

NeosMom

Juvie Member
I'm so happy to hear that is settled. Looking forward to the tons of Castiel pictures that will be coming.

Mindi

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Original Poster
Thanks Mary and Mindi, and yes, you'll see lots of Castiel pictures once he's home. I can't believe this is really happening and I'm so glad it happened now because I can afford it!

Nathaniel discovered the chaise longue. Every dragon I've had since I found it has used it to pose on, just Cierra is left.
11887-4795011529.jpg
11887-5228495747.jpg

Gabriel: :love5:
11887-8599985437.jpg

Leo: :love5:
11887-6105433972.jpg

Puff: :love5:
11887-9698157864.jpg

even Didi :love5:
11887-5056419563.jpg

I found this chaise longue (it's a jewelry box) downstairs in a box of toys and have placed it at the end of the ramp, so it gets sunshine whether the balcony door is open or not. They all seem to love it.

Cierra decided that I was a good place to sit for awhile, a couple of selfies of her:
11887-8494098149.jpg
11887-7239962090.jpg

A few of the party last night, it was alot of fun. Ryder had a table full of gifts; a wallet, a microscope, a kid camera, a telescope, 2 arrow sets, some Lego sets. And his cub den got their name on the big trophy this year for being the best den! So he was pretty proud of that. He's now in baseball, soccer, martial arts, swimming, skiing and a few other things, they like to keep him really busy because he's so high energy!
11887-645999914.jpg

Got some action shots of Cole on the trampoline, it's as safe as a trampoline can be:
11887-7509191925.jpg
11887-800430603.jpg
11887-8359177699.jpg

Choco decided he wanted to check out the smoked salmon
11887-3788927361.jpg
Then decided to sit on Annika's mom's Greta's lap. Greta's birthday is today and she's 89!
11887-4893899499.jpg

Ryder giving a speech on how he love's us all, grateful for all the gifts, is glad to be a part of such a great family. It was a good speech!
11887-7771412744.jpg

Dave, my youngest brother, will be 50 on June 10, he was given "Life is a Beach" theme gifts. That's his new fishing hat, he's sitting on his new beach chair & even got some beach beer!
11887-2408694704.jpg
11887-6879573171.jpg

And I got Choco on my lap for a bit, too:
11887-2250869605.jpg

So had a great time & woke up this am with a very sore back & sciatic in both legs. So had to stay home, it's starting to ease up, so I'll be back tomorrow. This afternoon, after everyone has a change to be out for awhile, I'll take pain pills and have a nap.

And I got a date for my right foot surgery, Sept 21, so have lots of time to rearrange my place so it will be crutches friendly. Thanks goodness for that!

NeosMom

Juvie Member
It looks like you had a great time. Love all the pictures. Great sofa. I have to make something like your ramp. :D

Mindi

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Original Poster
The ramp was easy to make, it's made of concrete blocks with wood underneath to hold them up, then I put a thick towel on the top (easy to exchange if someone decides to poop). Then I have a lampstand stuck in the side between blocks and an MVB UVB at the top so whoever is out can stop at the top and warm up and get some UVB.

So I just checked all the Arcadia lights and only Cierra's has reduced in UVB. So I'll order another one for her on Friday when I get paid. Meanwhile I can switch it with the one I have on the ramp until the new one comes in. I'm amazed, these lights have now lasted more than a year. Cierra's was one of the first ones I got.

Cierra went to the vet for a checkup and fecal & yeah! no parasites and she's really healthy. My vet was very impressed with the weight she's gained and said she's not got any eggs in her, so that's good news!

JenFid

Sub-Adult Member
Great pics of everyone Deb, of both your people and scaly fam! So glad Cierra isn't making more eggs...at least for now!

I weighed and measured Starling last night...she was 16 inches and 285 grams, when she arrived on 4/30 she was about 15 inches and 190 grams. She just turned 8 months last week, so she's put on a good chunk of weight in the month she's been home but not much in length. The hornworms are finally big enough to feed, so no more supers for her!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom