Nathaniel, Cierra, Castiel, Freya, Grrl; RIP GABRIEL

Status
Not open for further replies.
We never expected to get another dragon, but our neighbours next door wanted to give away Cleo, as he was called. We'd babysat him before, he's such a sweetheart. We nicknamed him Velcro because when he snuggles he never wants to go back to his viv, he hangs on as if he's made out of velcro.

So here he is. Today was his first day with us. He ate 13 supers and ate some squash, not bad for the first day he was here. He's only in a 30 gallon tank, which will be ok for now. He's 18" long but weighs only 200g. We figure he's probably 2 yrs old. Our neighbours rescued him last fall, they found him and a female (which they named Puff) on Craig's list. They were in a 30 gallon dirty tank, with sand and a huge log that took up 1/2 the space in the tank. Leo was at the bottom, he was sooooo skinny. He's gained weight, but never got the attention he deserved. I took some pics today, but will take more tomorrow. I think he remembers our place as didn't get stressed as I expected. No stress marks at all. When we let him run around the living room, he noticed our girls and immediate black beard, so his hormones are working!

He had a bath this morning, had a big poop, no smell, so not worried about parasites.

So here are a few pics, he's a yellow & dark gray, light gray colour.

Under the communal power sun in the living room:
sweetie2008401.jpg

Discovering there are girls in those tanks up above, he has a great black beard for such a skinny boy:
sweetie2008403.jpg

On the couch, he's got a pretty diamond pattern on his back:
sweetie2008412.jpg

sweetie2008413.jpg

Hope you enjoy
Deb and my six dragons :D :shock: :shock: :shock: :cry: :cry: :( :love5:

Goonie

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
For those who don't use Facebook, here's the first one:
1005366_627188060632956_757851446_n.jpg

The second link returned an unavailable message.

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Original Poster
Thanks Gina, I found that 2nd picture just how I feel about my silver hairs.

I was napping with Leo on the big chair in the living room and Cierra was on the ramp watching TV when she disappeared. I couldn't find her anywhere. I leave the doors of the cabinets where the worms are, to give them a bit more air circulation, so I checked & could hardly see her. She'd settled in the box beside where I keep the worms, little brat :lol:
11887-8594604013.jpg

Then I noticed that Leo, before I took him out for our nap, was black bearding. Well he's discovered all these dragons in his tank:
11887-9067593407.jpg

I caught Cierra smiling yesterday, so sweet, check out that belly!
11887-210598545.jpg

Goonie

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Little brat indeed! Guess she had enough of ramp time and wanted to go night night.

Leo still gets bothered by his reflections? Poor guy.

What an adorable photo and pose of Cierra!

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Original Poster
Hi Gina, Leo's never been bothered with the reflections until he woke up from brumation this past winter. He's been in the same tank since 2010, so not sure what's brought that on. So it's strange that now he's getting black beards. And I forgot to call the vet today, it was a very weird morning, couldn't get my head together, managed to feed the dragons, pack my lunch, was almost late & out the door. So make a BIG sign this time to call tomorrow am.

Cierra was too funny, sleeping in that box and she's been gaping more often lately, even though the light hasn't changed positions. I'm waiting for her to grow more lengthwise, she has such a cute pokable belly now :lol:

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Original Poster
So I just talked to my vet & Leo's blood work came back all great. His protein is low because I had to get him to lose weight and wasn't feeding him many roaches, so he's back on the roaches but still have to make sure he doesn't gain weight. His uric acid is way down, kidney function and liver function low normal (great news), no high blood pressure anymore either. So 20 roaches a week is all he gets going forward. I was so pleased to hear about all the low levels, all normal but on the low side. Making him lose all that weight is what did it. Now I still do a blood test once a year, but I'm hoping to keep him as healthy as he is now.

Also got the fee for Puff;s spaying, between $500-$600 & I can pay that over 2 pays, which is great. So May 14, drop her off about 9a and today I'll see if I can get those two days off, or days off following week.

I'm just so glad Leo's doing so well and that Puff will be doing no eggs anymore. She's already low bobbing :roll: But I can't not let the boys out, they'd go nuts being in their tanks all day, every day.

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Original Poster
I weighed everyone today & I can't believe how much weight Cierra has gained! All the previous weights are from April 5

Cierra: was 294, now 348 - she weighs more than Nathaniel now!

Gabriel, was 472, now 496

Nathaniel was 318 now 324, which is great to see, he just loves those small supers!

Puff was 402, now 399, which is a worry as she's been eating steadily now for 4 days, so she was way under 400g. I'm so glad she's getting surgery in a month.

Leo was 528, now 527. I'm so proud of him! He's so funny, I've put him out in the living room every morning, he heads right back to the partition that's close to his tank to be put back in...he's the only one like that. Homebody, for sure!

Gabriel has been acting very strange lately, kind of lethargic. I noticed he's got bits and pieces starting a shed again, so that might be it, I fed him 20 supers today and he seemed to feel a bit better. Guess I'll give him some of the electrolytes I got today.
11887-9053662032.jpg
11887-1893065730.jpg
11887-850537080.jpg

Cierra has enjoyed being on the ramp today, like she's the Queen of the Ramp :mrgreen:
11887-8170383526.jpg
11887-672287438.jpg

I had the day off to see my doc, she doesn't think the lump I found in my boob is anything serious but sent off for a mammogram, just to be safe. So it was nice to be home most of the day today. Now that Cierra has had some time out, it's Nathaniel's turn. So they all had a turn out today, Puff first, fed her supers, she got to get on the ramp, then Nathaniel for awhile, then Gabriel while I was gone, now Cierra and back to Nathaniel.

I did get the day off for Puff's surgery, but have to work the next day Friday, so will ask my vet if Puff should stay there until Sat morning, then I'm off for 4 days, have to work Wed, but off Thursday. Then off Friday & another weekend, by then she should be ok with me being back to work all week.

BlueDragon09

BD.org Addict
Ouch a lump, hope not breast cancer. I really really hope it's nothing. I have a lump in my side and its been checked it's nothing.

Glad everyone is gaining. Hope Puff is ok.

Hoping Gabriel is just shedding and hoping he's off food because of it. Glad he ate 20 though. My boy is a bit inactive himself because of the shed and he's going piece by piece. He's totally healthy just feels totally icky because of the shed.

Goonie

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Fantastic news on Leo's blood work results! What a relief, huh? But that still doesn't explain the swelling on his eye. Odd.

Wow, Cierra is growing like a weed! A very pretty weed ;)

May 14th can't come soon enough, right?
In regards to what I had posted on Facebook, I know you will be/are anxious about her procedure. I would be a complete basket case and a half.

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Original Poster
Hi Cami, Gabriel is always a big baby when he sheds, wants lots of snuggles, but when I put Cierra out on the ramp, boy that was a different story, he perked right up. Then when Cierra was done & I put Nathaniel out, well he perked up even more, black beard and all. So he'll feel better. One hand has a couple of fingers that are white and some of the top of his head, plus some of his belly and under his tail. Last year he did a complete body shed almost all in a week. This year he's older and it's tiny bits and pieces. He got alot of snuggles today, too. It's always nice when I'm home during the week.

And yes, Gina, I'm very worried about it but I also know it's the best thing for her. This time, after feeding her supers daily for 4 days, she's just up to 399, so she dipped way below that mark. Very worrying. She's not a big dragon but still, she needs to get up to her 470 for the operation. It's only a month away, but it feels like it's way too long away. I'll be so glad when it's over and done with and I'll be asking my vet is she's better in the incubator there for the Friday or can she be alone for 11 hours...

I'm really pleased with Cierra, measured her, too, later today and she's 16 1/2" long, that's 1 1/2" growth in length since February.

I also measured Nathaniel and he's 17 1/2" long now, so 2" growth in length since December. I have a feeling that Cierra is going to be a bigger dragon than Nathaniel by the end of the year. Now if only Nathaniel would eat more than black beard :roll:

And I'm thrilled about Leo, he's doing so well. I've got him back on roaches but only 20 med sized a week, then will see how the weight goes on that to begin with before I add to that amount. So Wednesday and on the weekend he & Gabriel get their protein. Makes it easier to remember.

Goonie

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Would Puff still be able to have her spade surgery if she isn't above 400 grams? Or would the vet deem that to be too dangerous?
Silly question: Instead of taking off from work on the day that she's having the surgery, wouldn't it be better to take the day after, so you'd be home for her rehab? This way, the vet could keep her overnight for monitoring purposes and you could pick her up first thing in the morning on the next day. Just a thought.

That Gabriel is too much. He's such a drama king! :laughing6:

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Original Poster
I had to be off the day she has surgery to drop her off & get back to get instructions on how to take care of her but I wasn't able to get the Friday, it's a long weekend here in Canada & no room at all left. So I'm going to go to the vet to pay most of her fee, then ask if Puff can stay in their incubator instead of being alone at home, not sure if it will make a different but will give me peace of mind...then can pick her up on Saturday. I had already taken the Tuesday off, Monday being a holiday, then got the Wed am and all day Thursday. We're a large group at work, Gina, over 150 people on the phone, so we get so many hours per team a month. If I'd know back in December what I know now, I would have taken the Friday off, too. So we'll see what the vet says on the Thursday.

I think my vet feels better with her having her fat pads in her abdomen plumper. I'm working really hard to get her to eat daily to get that weight back up. She just loses so much weight when she lays, almost 100 grams each time. Taking so long to lay her eggs is not good either, she's without much food for almost 3 weeks. Explains why she loses so much and takes so long to gain. Oh well, we'll see, if it has to be put off to the end of May (I'll know the beginning of the week), I'll see if I can move those days around.

It's a big worry because she's 8 years old and it's major surgery. I'm having nightmares already and it's still a month away, but I don't want to wait any longer than I have to, the way she's laying lately. I'm hoping there won't be a 6th clutch and she can just gain weight...sigh

Goonie

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Being that she's 8 years old, laying that many clutches of eggs and losing that much weight each time is probably more taxing on her body than going through this surgery. If your vet is confident on performing this surgery, then I'm sure everything will be fine.

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Original Poster
That's what I think, too, Gina, but I'm still so worried about complications etc. She's spayed an iguana and a chameleon, so that made me feel better.

And I talked to my manager at work, if that Friday is still not available I can switch shift and work the next Saturday instead. I'm to check with her on May 8. I don't mind working a Saturday for my Puff, it'll make me tired but having 3 days off that week will help and this means she won't need to stay at the vet on Friday, I'll have Thursday aft, Friday, Sat, Sun, Mon and Tues home, then I have to work the Wednesday but I have Thursday off, too. By then she'll be well into healing. I just want it to be over...

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Original Poster
Puff has been eating supers every day and her weight today was 411 up from 399, so I'm very pleased at the weight gain and hope she'll continue. She sat in the sun alot today, too, so that should help her with her appetite.

It's been so warm the last two days that the balcony door has been opened & for the 2nd day, they're all getting some sunshine. It's been a lazy two days for me, too, because for once I haven't had to go out anywhere, just spending time with my babies. It's been so much fun!

So, of course, I've taken more pictures:

Gabriel has been feeling better, he's had his yellow colours on for 2 days now :D :
11887-9027476762.jpg

I took a picture of each of my babies this am, they are so cute!
Cierra really likes her piggy :D
11887-6566990241.jpg
I never know what position she's going to be on but some part of her is always on that piggy :lol:

Nathaniel shed everything on his face, so he has his black beard back :mrgreen:
11887-7513765436.jpg

Puff up from sleeping in her bed, then she pooped on it again! So now it's put away until I can wash it again. I put another blanket in her tank instead, she likes to lie on a blanket that's rolled up in the afternoon, she's not at all spoiled :lol:
11887-4676962867.jpg
Puff in the sunshine, she was there for over an hour:
11887-1661675498.jpg

The area that gets sun at this time of the year, it's great to have the balcony door open for a change.
11887-7523206756.jpg

Leo was laying low this am
11887-4001783347.jpg

He also won a contest on a Facebook site for beardies eating:
11887-4162707557.jpg
and this picture is on the banner for a week. I was very proud considering there were about 50 entries :D

I also got a good picture of Bunny sleeping (she always sleeps upside down), with her lightest colours, you can see her pattern more clearly when she's lightened up. She's so pretty :love5:
11887-6959967459.jpg

And I also got a pic of Rocco after he finished a body shed yesterday. He let me hold him while I sprayed him with very warm water to help the shed come off easier.
11887-934189135.jpg
11887-5332970968.jpg
He stayed on my hand for about 1/2 an hour, it was so cool!

I also got a picture of Gabriel's favourite sleeping position, makes my neck hurt just looking at him:
11887-1824923940.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lunalane827
Top Bottom