Nathaniel, Cierra, Castiel, Freya, Grrl; RIP GABRIEL

Status
Not open for further replies.
We never expected to get another dragon, but our neighbours next door wanted to give away Cleo, as he was called. We'd babysat him before, he's such a sweetheart. We nicknamed him Velcro because when he snuggles he never wants to go back to his viv, he hangs on as if he's made out of velcro.

So here he is. Today was his first day with us. He ate 13 supers and ate some squash, not bad for the first day he was here. He's only in a 30 gallon tank, which will be ok for now. He's 18" long but weighs only 200g. We figure he's probably 2 yrs old. Our neighbours rescued him last fall, they found him and a female (which they named Puff) on Craig's list. They were in a 30 gallon dirty tank, with sand and a huge log that took up 1/2 the space in the tank. Leo was at the bottom, he was sooooo skinny. He's gained weight, but never got the attention he deserved. I took some pics today, but will take more tomorrow. I think he remembers our place as didn't get stressed as I expected. No stress marks at all. When we let him run around the living room, he noticed our girls and immediate black beard, so his hormones are working!

He had a bath this morning, had a big poop, no smell, so not worried about parasites.

So here are a few pics, he's a yellow & dark gray, light gray colour.

Under the communal power sun in the living room:
sweetie2008401.jpg

Discovering there are girls in those tanks up above, he has a great black beard for such a skinny boy:
sweetie2008403.jpg

On the couch, he's got a pretty diamond pattern on his back:
sweetie2008412.jpg

sweetie2008413.jpg

Hope you enjoy
Deb and my six dragons :D :shock: :shock: :shock: :cry: :cry: :( :love5:

Esther19

BD.org Addict
Deb, I'm so sorry you're not feeling well. You need to take care of yourself like you do your dragons! Hope you feel better soon. Hugs!

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Original Poster
Thanks Esther, it's that rotten fibromyalgia. I was making my lunch this am when I realized I wasn't walking very well. I take meds for the darned disease but this winter hasn't been good with that. So I'll be at work tomorrow, taking pain meds tonight to make sure. I'll be glad when I start seeing the physio in January. There doesn't seem to be much you can do with the flares. Just keep trucking!

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Original Poster
So I just weighed Puff and Nathaniel; Puff is up to 466 and Nathaniel is up to 259, he's gained 41g since I got him a week 1/2 ago (seems like I've had him alot longer than that :lol: ) He's doing really well and his favourite bug now is small supers! So I guess I'm going to have to order 500 from Jake, he said the co he gets his bugs from sell mini & small supers. I'll have to connect with him.

Nathaniel has also grown 1/2" and is now 16" long. He's doing so well!

And I feel better (I hate those darned flares) and am back to work today.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Glad to hear you are feeling better. :D

Wow, good weights for Puff & Nathaniel. :) So happy to hear they are both gaining wt. Guess all that running around & black bearding is giving him an appetite. :lol:

Todd had told me about his hip replacement surgery shortly after getting back from the doctors in Sept. He said that an artificial hip that was put in 6 years ago is degrading (!) and the metal is corroding. Said the metal alloy used in the implant is faulty and he's being poisoned by it. The poor guy, must be awful going through all that pain. Sure hope the new surgery goes easy and he can start feeling better. He doesn't deserve all of this.

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Original Poster
Nope, especially since he had to fight to get the hip replacement done again, to the point of getting a lawyer involved. So I was so glad to hear he's getting it done finally. It's caused him all sorts of heath issues, so now, hopefully, this will make him healthy again. He was wonderful when I first got the lights, was very patient with explaining everything and we had emails going back & forth almost daily. But finally got it done & I'm so pleased with them.

I know, right? He's has a constant black beard and he loves bobbing anything. I can see him being my new Security Chief when he's grown up some. Gabriel is sure unimpressed with the "little wimp", after all Gabriel is a big bad beardie, right? Until it comes to snuggling that is, then he's just my big baby :lol:

I was very pleased to see that Puff is steadily gaining. Another 40g and I'll be happy. I'm just hoping like crazy that she doesn't lay any more eggs, we'll see if the "birth control" works. I'm to take her back in Feb for another shot if it does work.

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Original Poster
Wow, the Panacur is already working on Nathaniel, the ammonia smell is already gone. His poops are still smelly, but nothing like they were at the beginning of the week. He's eating pretty well, considering he's on the Panacur and he's decided that crickets, roaches and supers are his main bugs. No phoenix worms, figures, I just bought 250 :lol: So my friend Joanne will get the rest as her beardies and leos love them. Now if only he'll eat greens. He'll eat them if I feed him, but I was so hoping he'd eat out of a dish...maybe when he's older? So week one of Panacur is done, now 3 more weeks to go. Hopefully this will cure him forever.

Tonja

BD.org Addict
Deb glad the panacur is already working for Nathaniel. Sorry you are not feeling well, know that pain of Fibro all to well so am going to make a suggestion here. I don't have Fibro but have lupus, the pain is the same and the pain levels are about the same. When I flare badly I run a hot tub, as hot as I can stand it and pour in the Epsom salts, enough to make the water cloudy and sit in it till its cooled down. When dry I use Mineral Ice on my joints and muscles where they hurt the most. It really helps.

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Original Poster
I'll keep that in mind. I've always just iced it to get the swelling down, it's a drag when it hits me in the am when I'm getting ready for work, but my manager is very understanding as she used to work for someone with Fibro. I've never had so many flares as this winter, but I think there's an emotional component and with the situation with my son, that just gets me sometimes...

beardie parents

BD.org Sicko
I have to agree with the epsom salts, Deb. I still have pain in my left ankle and my right hip left over from the ankle sprain years ago and my chiropractor suggested I sit in a warm bath with epsom salts and it does help, especially after a day where I come home very sore and limping because I was standing and walking all day.

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Original Poster
I'll try it next time, Tonja and Lori, if it works for you two, it'll work for me, too.

Poor Nathaniel, guess the Panacur has taken away his appetite, luckily he's done with it until Tues, hopefully that means he'll eat on the weekend. At least he gained 41g b4 he started the meds. It's a tiny dose, but guess it's upsetting his tummy. He'll be getting acidophilus in the am, he wouldn't take it this am but I have tricks to help him take it down. He doesn't get any calcium tomorrow, so that should help. I hope he eats for a few days b4 Tuesday gets here.

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Original Poster
Even though the Panacur has affected Nathaniel's appetite, I've been feeding him roaches almost every day & his weight is back to 256, almost where it was b4 Panacur treatments started 259, so I'm hoping, being as I'll be home for the next 5 days, that I can get his weight up even more. Week 2 of the treatment started today, just 2 more weeks and he's done. It's already working, the ammonia stink is gone, YEAH!

Puff is holding steady still at 468, so I'll be getting more bugs into her over the next few days & get her weight up a bit more. She's not showing any signs of eggs, so far at least.

Didi is wanting to sleep, but still on meds for another month, so he just naps all the time.

Leo was up for a long soak, he never moved back into his hide, so he's on his basking spot, sound asleep, covered up.

Gabriel is full of his usual spunk, he's such a brat :lol: But I sure missed him when he was asleep.

Esther19

BD.org Addict
Hey Deb. Glad to hear that Nathaniel is responding to the meds and to being hand fed. :roll:
It doesn't take long, does it? Cissy is holding her own. Angus gained 10 g last week, and Buster (usually my best sleeper) is full-on awake and thinks it's spring. :shock: He bobs at anything...me, invisible dragons, etc. Angus spied him tonight while on the kitchen counter and did his first jerky arm waves. Too cute.

I can imagine that things are difficult for you especially this time of year. Unfortunately, the only thing I can do is send you great big hugs. I do hope you have an enjoyable Christmas with your family.

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Original Poster
Hi Esther, that's great that Angus is gaining weight, isn't the arm waving cute? Nathaniel skipped that compltely, every time he sees Gabriel or Didi, it's full on bobbing and black bearding. He's a male through and through. Buster is too funny, thinking it's spring, it's going to be fun watching him bob constantly :lol: I'm so glad that Cissy is holding her own, good girl! How's Maisie doing? Are she & Fred still asleep? Hope you have a wonderful Christmas!

I'm off work now until Monday, so it's great to get up without an alarm! And don't be concerned about Eric and Tara, I sent off my presents to the babies and card to them, sent Eric's birthday card last week and I'm not worrying about them at all. I'm keeping myself busy for the next 5 days, if I hear from them, I do. But I'm not expecting anything and that's the best way to feel. No point feeling down about anything. I get to stay overnight at my nephews and enjoy Xmas morning with them all, then Xmas dinner tomorrow at their home as my brother & s-i-l are hosting it. My brother Richard is going to drive my dad's car & bring them and my nieces there tomorrow eve, so it's going to be a wonderful Xmas. Boxing Day I'll have lots of time with the babies and might go to a movie. Saturday I'm going out for lunch with my best friend after seeing the chiro and Sunday another day with my babies. Then back to work. The first week of Jan I have the whole week off, so I'm looking forward to that. I have to live my life and if Eric thinks I'm going to sit at home and be sad, he's got another think coming...not going to happen!

MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE!!!

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Original Poster
I did get some pics of everyone, but nothing Christmassy, I'm busy baking for tonight and tomorrow. Buns for treats and dinner tomorrow and cookies for presents.

So here's Nathaniel in a few cute poses, he's doing well, the Panacur is working great & he's being hand fed tons of roaches daily, so he keeps gaining weight. He still doesn't like his bath :lol: but has to have one!

I hate this baf, want OUT

Didi got a turn on the ramp this am, he was happy to watch TV, but he's so sleepy these days

Nathaniel got some sun this am, too

The famous Gabriel stink eye because Puff was out chasing supers :lol:

I just can't take enough pictures of Nathaniel!

Puff after chasing some supers, she's gaining weight and looking good. I'm so hopeful the "birth control" works!

Tonja

BD.org Addict
Merry Christmas Deb, hope you have a wonderful day tomorrow. Hope your new year is a happy prosperous one.

Love the pictures of your crew, they always come out so good. Hope you are feeling better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Critter Guy
Top Bottom