Nathaniel, Cierra, Castiel, Freya, Grrl; RIP GABRIEL

Status
Not open for further replies.
We never expected to get another dragon, but our neighbours next door wanted to give away Cleo, as he was called. We'd babysat him before, he's such a sweetheart. We nicknamed him Velcro because when he snuggles he never wants to go back to his viv, he hangs on as if he's made out of velcro.

So here he is. Today was his first day with us. He ate 13 supers and ate some squash, not bad for the first day he was here. He's only in a 30 gallon tank, which will be ok for now. He's 18" long but weighs only 200g. We figure he's probably 2 yrs old. Our neighbours rescued him last fall, they found him and a female (which they named Puff) on Craig's list. They were in a 30 gallon dirty tank, with sand and a huge log that took up 1/2 the space in the tank. Leo was at the bottom, he was sooooo skinny. He's gained weight, but never got the attention he deserved. I took some pics today, but will take more tomorrow. I think he remembers our place as didn't get stressed as I expected. No stress marks at all. When we let him run around the living room, he noticed our girls and immediate black beard, so his hormones are working!

He had a bath this morning, had a big poop, no smell, so not worried about parasites.

So here are a few pics, he's a yellow & dark gray, light gray colour.

Under the communal power sun in the living room:
sweetie2008401.jpg

Discovering there are girls in those tanks up above, he has a great black beard for such a skinny boy:
sweetie2008403.jpg

On the couch, he's got a pretty diamond pattern on his back:
sweetie2008412.jpg

sweetie2008413.jpg

Hope you enjoy
Deb and my six dragons :D :shock: :shock: :shock: :cry: :cry: :( :love5:

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Original Poster
Update on Nathaniel, he hasn't pooped yet but he's up to 244g :D I gave him babyfood squash, which he gobbled up and will get some pumpkin tonight to see if that works. Last poop was Saturday, so this is a bit of a concern, considering how many bugs he's eaten in the last few days.

And Puff has gone up in weight, too, she's now 442 from 438, so a bit of an improvement. Sigh, she worries me alot with all those eggs. So hopefully she'll continue to gain.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That's great that Nathaniel has gained wt already. The squash should help get things moving along as well as the pumpkin. Will he drink water or diluted juice or Pedialyte off his nose?

I thought I almost saw a halo when he was sitting with his legs folded. :lol:

Happy to hear that Puff is starting to put wt on too. Hope she continues to gain and doesn't lay anymore eggs to help her body out.

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Original Poster
We have POOP :blob5: :blob8: :blob5: :blob8: All over his log, so that will have to be washed, but oh well, can't have everything, hopefully future poops will be in his baths

I was so happy, a really big one, too! And I did get the pumpkin so will keep it handy. For now I think he'll get some squash babyfood every morning for awhile, as he loves the stuff :lol:

And yes, Diane, I could see the halo, too :mrgreen:

I just have to keep working with Puff, she did eat 2 supers out of her bowl this am, so will see how it goes having her run for her supers the next two mornings, then she's to the vet with Didi on Sat am.

So I checked Didi's eye this am and it's not swollen, just a bit puffy from the cream that seems to be stuck on his eye lids & underneath the eye. I also noticed his head and nose are shedding. He still wants to sleep and wasn't hungry this am, so if the vet is ok with it, I might let him sleep here and there. I have been still giving him his water, B vit and fungal med every am, this morning he got his calcium & vit/min, too.

I think Nathaniel is getting used to the liquids in the am, he took them all down really well. He's also a very funny swimmer, holds his arms out straight and drops them, splashing all over the place and pumps those back legs. He's already forming a muscle in each arm and his thigh muscles are getting thicker, too. He's doing really well! :love5: "Heaves satisfied sigh"

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That's great that he made a large poop. :blob5: :D :blob8: He must feel so much better & we know YOU do. The squash every morning should really help him out, good to have the pumpkin on hand though.

That's good that Puff ate a couple of supers, hopefully she will keep doing that and even eat more.

Happy to hear that Didi's eye isn't swollen, would be hard to get the stuck on cream off around his eyes I would imagine.

Nathaniel is so funny, can just picture him doing that in his bath. :lol: Bet he really makes you laugh. He must be building muscle too. Sounds like a happy beardie to me. :p

Tonja

BD.org Addict
Didi's face looks so much better, you are doing a great job with him. Nathaniel is just to cute, reminds me of Geico when he was little. I love the pictures of him in the bath. Puff is pretty as ever and am glad shes done laying eggs. Dang she was an egg laying machine this year.

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Original Poster
Hi Diane & Tonja, I didn't expect Puff to lay this many eggs, I'm glad it's done and also glad she's going to the vet on Saturday, there's something off with her. I snuggled with her for 3 hours today and she never lost her black beard or her stress marks. So hoping she's all right.

Thanks Tonja, I'm glad you see the difference, too. He's also going to the vet on Saturday.

So Nathaniel did another poop today & it was stinky, fully formed though & nice white urate. He also ate almost all the crickets I had and alot of dubia, too. Now I'm getting some phoenix worms in, supposed to be tonight but haven't heard, may need to go pick them up myself. He loves those things! I'll take a sample in to my vet with his weight, just in case. Can't get him in myself on Saturday, can only transport 2 at a time, but will get him in for a wellness check, probably in Jan. Have to get new headlights for my car, plus need to get the exhaust checked, so will see how much $ I have left. But either way, mid Jan can take him in.

I had to miss a day of work today again, wrenched my back but go in to see the chiro, so feel much better. Also bought my grandkids gifts today and will get them in the mail on Saturday. Xmas is almost here, this always happens in December, always short of time :lol: You think I'd learn!

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Oh dear, hope Puff is ok. Hopefully she doesn't still have an egg or two causing some issues. Poor girl. Hope all goes well.

Bet the vet will be very surprised with how well Didi looks. :)

Good idea taking a fecal to be checked for Nathaniel. Hopefully only his coccidia count is elevated due to all the changes he has gone through. He's quite the eater!

So sorry to hear about your back. That's good that you went to the chiro and it feels better now. You're right, the month of December goes WAY too fast.

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Original Poster
I think Puff is ok, I just realized that when we took a nap together, my room isn't near as warm as the living room. When I gave her her bath this am, she was all her pretty colours, so she must have been cold. Not sure what I was thinking. And no, she has no more eggs, it's been over a week, they would have shown up by now.

Yes, but only if I get a sample, otherwise it can wait until I take him in January. Nathaniel ate tons of bugs yesterday, but no greens. I gave him bok choy this am to see if he'd be different but no dice. I got his phoenix worms last night and he ate quite a few but not near as much as yesterday, seems he still likes crickets best, so I'll get a bunch again on Sunday.

Can't wait to see what the vet says about Didi. I didn't put on any cream the last 2 days, just gave him his regular oral med. I'll report when I get back.

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Original Poster
Hi Esther, I was worried about her, too. She looks good this am, under her basking spot :D Now it's time to turn the TV on, though, it's her favourite thing besides supers.

So I come into the living room this am. Puff and Didi are looking good, basking. Didi is shedding his head and just shed his right eye, not sure the other one will shed, but looks almost normal :D So I look at Nathaniel, he's right at the front of his tank with the blackest beard I've ever seen on anyone but Lonzo :lol: So of course I grab him out and he's on my shoulder, comfy as can be. He's a little stinker, that's for sure, has me wrapped around his finger already and it's just a week since he's home. :mrgreen:

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Original Poster
Back from the vet and success with both Didi and Puff. Puff has a bit of something that's not an abcess under one lip, so Nolvadent should take care of that. Clear eyes and otherwise her mouth is clear. My vet gave her a shot to stop ovulation, so she's hoping it works and no more eggs. She might need to have this shot every 2 mo as neither of us want her spayed.

Didi is doing so well, she was glad to hear it wasn't YF at all, but demal fungus of some sort. He'll stay on the meds for another month, then go back to see how he's doing. After a week of no cream, it doesn't look worse but she thinks there's still some in his lower lid and lip, so I'll continue to med and the cream. He'll stay in his tank and if he wants to sleep, he can for a day here and there.

Wanted to take a poop in from Nathaniel, but he just pooped now, too late to get the sample to the vet. He has an appt with my vet on Jan 6. He pooped on the ramp, I was watching so let him watch TV, and there's a bit of very pale pink blood when he poops, so I'll try to get a sample in next Saturday am. She can at least test it and then I can pick up the meds if they're open on the 24th. I'm off that day, so I'll check with them.

Need to get Nathaniel out of his bath, just wanted to soak him a bit. The funny thing is there's nothing but a very light pink coming out with his poop. Nothing sticking out at all. So hopefully it's nothing serious and goes away on it's own. Titan had this happen but it was a pool of blood every time, yet it healed on it's own. And I just heard a splat, well guess what, Nathaniel jumped out of his bath & jumped off the counter :roll: Now he's on my shoulder.

When I brought Didi and Puff back from the vet I had to get to the post office and then to the library. When I walked in this is what Nathaniel greeted me with :lol: Shades of Lonzo

So I put him into my coat & off we went. I think he's stay in my coat all day if he could :lol:

And from earlier, helping me on the computer, he was listening to a 15 yr old who sounds exactly like Johnny Cash, he was enthralled :D :
:

And his bath this am:

He's a real sweetie but sure likes to get into trouble :lol:

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Oh wow, look at that black beard, way down past his chest. :eek: Love the way he was holding on your thumb, can tell he really trusts you. :D He's really keeping you busy with his antics and now he jumps out of his bath when he's ready too, what a stinker. Bet Lonzo is looking down laughing. :mrgreen:

So good to hear that Puff is fine. Good that the vet gave her a shot to stop ovulation, that will help her build back up. How's her appetite been lately?

Good news on Didi. The lower lid & lip should clear up in no time.

Goonie

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
What was the shot that Puff received? Hormones?? Is it like us humans taking birth control pills? How would that affect her long term?

Holy cow! What a black beard he's sporting!
I take it that Nathaniel doesn't like to be left alone and would much rather be with you every waking second of his life. Am I correct? :D

Esther19

BD.org Addict
That was quite the black beard! Great idea to give him the jacket treatment. Lol. The pink stuff is concerning, but as you say, it will probably go away on its own. He is so handsome! Wonderful news about Didi and Puff. I'm sure it won't be long and Didi will be all healed up.

Little Angus is growing. He had a big shed the other day. I noticed this morning that he is beginning to develop lower arm and thigh muscles. A big change from the little toothpick legs. Fred looks like Popeye. Perhaps Angus will take after him.

How is your back feeling?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom