Nathaniel, Cierra, Castiel, Freya, Grrl; RIP GABRIEL

Status
Not open for further replies.
We never expected to get another dragon, but our neighbours next door wanted to give away Cleo, as he was called. We'd babysat him before, he's such a sweetheart. We nicknamed him Velcro because when he snuggles he never wants to go back to his viv, he hangs on as if he's made out of velcro.

So here he is. Today was his first day with us. He ate 13 supers and ate some squash, not bad for the first day he was here. He's only in a 30 gallon tank, which will be ok for now. He's 18" long but weighs only 200g. We figure he's probably 2 yrs old. Our neighbours rescued him last fall, they found him and a female (which they named Puff) on Craig's list. They were in a 30 gallon dirty tank, with sand and a huge log that took up 1/2 the space in the tank. Leo was at the bottom, he was sooooo skinny. He's gained weight, but never got the attention he deserved. I took some pics today, but will take more tomorrow. I think he remembers our place as didn't get stressed as I expected. No stress marks at all. When we let him run around the living room, he noticed our girls and immediate black beard, so his hormones are working!

He had a bath this morning, had a big poop, no smell, so not worried about parasites.

So here are a few pics, he's a yellow & dark gray, light gray colour.

Under the communal power sun in the living room:
sweetie2008401.jpg

Discovering there are girls in those tanks up above, he has a great black beard for such a skinny boy:
sweetie2008403.jpg

On the couch, he's got a pretty diamond pattern on his back:
sweetie2008412.jpg

sweetie2008413.jpg

Hope you enjoy
Deb and my six dragons :D :shock: :shock: :shock: :cry: :cry: :( :love5:

Goonie

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Didi's eye is looking very good. Looks like most of the fungus is gone, especially around his lips.

Puff is so silly. I guess she missed health class where they went over when females should be digging :lol:
She's just like Digi in not wanting to eat after laying and the huge weight loss.

Gabriel is acting like when Pookie when the girls came, where he refused brumation because he needed to keep an eye on them. The only difference is that Pookie was protecting Digi and MoMo, and Gabriel just wants to mate :laughing6:

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Original Poster
Hi Diane, Puff is just too silly. Instead of bothering with the carnivore care & baby food mix, of which she'll eat a few pieces, I'm had feeding her roaches & supers. She's now up to 434g as of this morning, so that's 10g in a week. I'm going to continue doing that, even though she hates me feeding her. She wiggles and squirms, but I'm used to Didi not ever wanting to eat, so she has no choice. I'll let her go when she's over 450g and eating on her own. Can't wait until she chases her worms again :lol:

That was Gabriel's last huzzah, because he's been sound asleep for 3 days now. He's never brumated before and he tried his best to not fall asleep, but he finally did. Won't see that goofy face for awhile I guess. But he & Leo will be up this weekend some time to get a bath & can then fall back asleep again.

I'm glad you're seeing the difference in Didi. I thought it was just me. I'm not sure if the fungus is gone, but he sees the vet (with Puff) on the 13th. I was going to take Gabriel, but I'll just let him sleep. I'll take him when he wakes up. He and Puff have a strange tiny lump on an upper lip, so will see what the vet says about Puff. If need be, I can take Gabriel in 1st week of Jan, I'm off work for a week, vacation, yeah!

Gina, you're so right, Gabriel is all about mating, he'd make a great breeder :lol: I'll just never give him the chance, poor boy. He reminds me so much of Lonzo when I first got him, even though he was older, all he wanted to do was mate with Sweetie & she was more than willing, just like Puff is with Gabriel. Now I'm hoping that Puff will be done with eggs for now, that's an awful amount of eggs for a new egg layer. She seems to be done digging, at least for now, she so funny :lol:

Brezzy, thanks very much for that. I'll always miss Lonzo, he was such a wonderful beardie.

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Original Poster
So Puff laid another egg with her poop this am and I thought she was done. She looked to perky this am, too. She's now on the ramp. With Gabriel asleep it's good that she can get out without him staring, black bearding & bobbing at her. Mind you, I think she misses the flirting :lol: So that's 24 eggs or maybe more, I've lost count, but hopefully this is it.

BlueDragon09

BD.org Addict
Hey hon, Alucard also had those tiny lumps on both sides of his lips, never knew what they were...they just went away.
I scrubbed at them and skin or food fell off and after that they stuck around then vanished it was so weird.

I see improvement in Didi's face...I almost called him Lonzo..I don't know why.

I had a dream that Lonzo and Vash are sitting on the couch reading newspapers like old men would do. Watching Titan and Rubio play around with other beardies, my gerbil Loki was there too, playing not getting eaten by the beardies.

Goonie

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
BlueDragon09":1zwh9lkx said:
I had a dream that Lonzo and Vash are sitting on the couch reading newspapers like old men would do. Watching Titan and Rubio play around with other beardies, my gerbil Loki was there too, playing not getting eaten by the beardies.
smiley5381.gif
What a wonderful dream!

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Original Poster
What a great dream! I can just see them that way Blue, for sure, our old men :lol: checking out the girls running by with Rubio and Titan, playing away, I always visualize Rubio in a car, giving the girls lifts and getting his buddies here and there. I'm glad you had that dream, made my heart glad :love5:

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Original Poster
Well, another egg laid this am, poor Puff is like a laying machine but only 1 egg at a time. I'm hoping this is the last one for her and feeding her again today with supers. She hates being force fed but with her not eating and needing to gain weight, have to do this. I've tried the carnivore care/baby food but it's not enough protein for her at this point and she won't eat alot. So she's soaking in a tub, gave her calcium and B vits and we'll see if there's another egg tomorrow am.

OMG, Puff just laid another 2 eggs in her bath, so I guess she's closer to 30 eggs now...jeez she must be done by NOW :roll:

babyheartthrob

Hatchling Member
Deb, I'm so happy your rescuing another baby (I was going to hold you one of mine, but I still don't know how I'd get it to you, although I joked with mom about taking a trip up north :lol:) Can't wait to see pics of him when you get him :D.

I love the baby photos of Lonzo. It's amazing how much he changed from red to yellow. I'm glad you were able to get them :D

And Didi looks so much better :blob5:

Poor Puff with the eggs. She really is an egg laying machine and a funny one at that. Digging after laying and laying one here and there. Silly girl :lol:

That was a wonderful dream Blue... I think Miney would love to get a ride with Rubio in his car (she loved car rides when she was alive :)) and even though Albus was only 1 1/2 when he died, I can see him as the old man with the newspaper sitting with Lonzo and Vash just watching the youngsters playing :lol:

Sabrina

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Wow, 30 eggs, enough already Puff. Time to put some weight on by eating for your mom.

Bet you're counting down the days Deb until you get your new guy. I imagine you'll have lots of fun getting the temps all straightened out. :roll:

Goonie

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Hmmm, time for a "the birds and the bees" talk with both Puff and Gabriel, and tell them to knock it off? :mrgreen:

I know I had said this before, but I am so glad that both MoMo and Digi lay all of their eggs at once, instead of spreading them out day after day. That would drive me totally insane, well, more insane.

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Original Poster
Hi Sabrina, I"m looking forward to getting my new man home on Sunday. Get paid tomorrow, so have $ to get him the basking thing I want for him, like Gabriel's. There's a hide underneath it and steps up each side. It's made to fit in a corner, so perfect for him. Then a hide, 'cause I already have a few logs, both Lonzo's. I think I'm going to ask my friend Joanne for the cardboard box I used for Puff's hide, it's perfect and will fit on the cool side really well. Between the logs, hide and basking spot, he'll have all the furniture he needs, plus he'll have lots of room to run around. He'll be in Lonzo's tank, which will make me feel better. I hate seeing that empty tank. Only 3 more days!

Yes, Gina, Puff is driving me insane. I give her calcium and B vits every day now and forced her to eat roaches today, she kept spitting out the worms, even though they're her favourite buts, who can figure her out, I sure can't. As for Gabriel, he's been sound asleep for most of this week, so he'll be giving her a rest now. I have a feeling he'll be out for awhile & hopefully that means she'll be knocking off the egg laying for this year. I need to get some weight on her. She's still very active, but so skinny. I'll keep at the bugs & greens with her. Have some fresh squash I'll give her on the weekend. I really wish she'd use a lay box like Sweetie and Issy did, but she just won't. I'm wondering if it's easier on her to lay a few at a time with a day's rest in between? Maybe that's why. :dontknow:

Thanks Sabrina for saying that Didi's looking better. I'm sure anxious to get him to the vet next Saturday, getting another blood panel to see if his white blood cells are back to normal.

And Brenda, isn't that the cutest picture of Lonzo, hard to imagine my big boy that small :love5:

zandi202

BD.org Addict
I am really hoping Zy and Vess skip over this whole infertile egg business. They drive me insane enough as is. I don't know how you do it with Puff.

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Original Poster
A day at a time, Liz, that's how I manage Puff. There were no eggs this am, so I'm really hoping she's done :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dangky4gviettel
Top Bottom