Nathaniel, Cierra, Castiel, Freya, Grrl; RIP GABRIEL

Status
Not open for further replies.
We never expected to get another dragon, but our neighbours next door wanted to give away Cleo, as he was called. We'd babysat him before, he's such a sweetheart. We nicknamed him Velcro because when he snuggles he never wants to go back to his viv, he hangs on as if he's made out of velcro.

So here he is. Today was his first day with us. He ate 13 supers and ate some squash, not bad for the first day he was here. He's only in a 30 gallon tank, which will be ok for now. He's 18" long but weighs only 200g. We figure he's probably 2 yrs old. Our neighbours rescued him last fall, they found him and a female (which they named Puff) on Craig's list. They were in a 30 gallon dirty tank, with sand and a huge log that took up 1/2 the space in the tank. Leo was at the bottom, he was sooooo skinny. He's gained weight, but never got the attention he deserved. I took some pics today, but will take more tomorrow. I think he remembers our place as didn't get stressed as I expected. No stress marks at all. When we let him run around the living room, he noticed our girls and immediate black beard, so his hormones are working!

He had a bath this morning, had a big poop, no smell, so not worried about parasites.

So here are a few pics, he's a yellow & dark gray, light gray colour.

Under the communal power sun in the living room:
sweetie2008401.jpg

Discovering there are girls in those tanks up above, he has a great black beard for such a skinny boy:
sweetie2008403.jpg

On the couch, he's got a pretty diamond pattern on his back:
sweetie2008412.jpg

sweetie2008413.jpg

Hope you enjoy
Deb and my six dragons :D :shock: :shock: :shock: :cry: :cry: :( :love5:

BlueDragon09

BD.org Addict
That's lucky for you Deb! My boy is still down only wakes up every now and then.
I wonder if you counted lucky stars to get your free calender.

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Original Poster
It was a complete surprise & when I talked to the lady at Cafe Press to ask her how I would pay for it, she said it was their mistake and no cost. Wow, I'm not sure what lucky stars I counted.

Gina, I just loved my snuggle with Rubio, who knows when I'll have another one? Didi and Gabriel had a nap with me (we were supposed to be watching a movie, though) and that was fun, they didn't once try to kill each other, just lay quietly and fell asleep, now they're in bed, awww.

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Original Poster
Well I really fouled up tonight. I was on my way down the stairs to the basement to get my car to head to the gym, when I missed the last step & fell face flat on the concrete floor. I sprained my left ankle very badly, ended up at the hospital, no break, thank goodness but a bump the size of an egg & lots of bruising. So I'm home all week (was supposed to be back to work on Thursday) and not allowed to leave the house for the next day or two, as on Tylenol 3s, so can't drive, then Thursday am have to get to a pharmacy to get a splint that you blow up. May or may not get to work on Monday, depending on the swelling & sure can't do gym on Sunday. WHAT AN ***** THING TO DO :banghead: :banghead: Not that I did it on purpose, but my left leg pains me up past my knee. I'm still up because I just got home. Wasn't sure if I could drive, so got an ambulance to get me to the hospital, got a splint on & then a taxi home. (Didn't have enough cash on me to get a taxi both ways). So much for the rest of my vacation! Hopefully I'll be able to walk by Monday & get to work, I'm calling my doc's office tomorrow am to see if I can get in to see her on Friday, but may be Monday and I"m not tecking the hour to work (2 buses and a subway ride) if it's going to damage it further.

At least I can limp around to take care of the dragons, but will have to be careful, as i sure don't want to fall or make it worse. So lots of icing (luckily I have a gel icepack) and hopefully that does the trick. So I'm off to bed, boy this is going to be alot of fun, hopefully I'll get a few hours sleep before I have to get the boys up, mind you they can sleep in a bit. They should be very curious about the strange thing on my leg, I can just see them watching me limping to their tanks to turn their lights on tomorrow am!

Tonja

BD.org Addict
I am sorry to hear you fell and hurt your ankle. If you have anyone that can get them for you, epsom salts work wonders. Soak your foot and ankle in them in warm water than ice it. I sure hope you get to feeling better soon. Take care of yourself and will keep you in my prayers.

beardie parents

BD.org Sicko
That sounds like it's going to take quite a while to heal. It's hard to take care of yourself if you can't walk. Did you think of trying to get crutches to walk until it heals?

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Original Poster
Hi Tonja, I'll try that when I can sit in the tub, right now I can get around but only if I use the splint I was given, otherwise I"m in bed. I think it would have been easier if it had been broken, as it is it's going to take awhile to heal. I see my doc next Tuesday, see if I can get to work. Right now I'm icing every 2 hrs for 1/2 hr to get the swelling down and taking T3s, so can't even get around, boy T3s sur give you a buzz!

Hi Lori, it'll take awhile, but as soon as I can walk enough to get to the bus I can get back to work, not sure how long that will take. I sure it hadn't happened!

I did get the boys up and lights on but they'll be in their tanks for the day, won't do them any harm, now if I could only get some sleep at least, I'm going to give it a try, so far it's been 20 min or 1/2 hr, then I move my leg & pow! I'm awake. I'll feed them later. Didi, of course, is really trying to get out, but I have to get some sleep 1st. I'm functioning on fumes right now!

blondie098

Gray-bearded Member
Girl, do I need to come up there and wrap you in bubble wrap?! Sounds like you done a doozie this time, I hope it heals fast for you, and that the T3 doesn't make you too loopy... I cannot take T3, I barf it back up for some reason.

Wow, luckily there was no break, that sounds like a bad spill, maybe Jake can come and help a smidge with dragons -- I am sure his mom will understand the circumstances. Get some rest, I know you are in pain, but let the sleep happen if you can, sleep time is body healing time. Do you know what MLD is (manual lymphatic drainage)? depending on how you can bend you leg comfort wise, you can softly rub the skin layer... and I mean just the gentlest petting... use small circles, and go from your foot toward your heart... always do MLD toward the heart. That will help two things -- swelling and bruising. Mom was a massotherapist certified in MLD (she went to Austria to be trained by one of the best) -- and I bruise easily ... literally black bruising... and MLD helps me every time. It will activate your lymph system to pull the extra acids and edema from the area. Swelling goes down and stays down. Only need to do about 15 minutes a few times a day for a couple days if you can manage it!

Get some rest, sweetie -- your babies will forgive you for not having playtime :D

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Original Poster
Thanks for the info Dawn, I'll try it tomorrow, it's just too sore right now. I still have to get up, so the hospital did give me a splint. I'm wondering if crutches would help, once I'm ready to get back to work, I'll have to check into that. They wouldn't help here, my space is way too small and the splint helps me get around. My babies are up, they just won't be getting out today, but maybe tomorrow. I just have to feed them some veggies today, they all got their bugs yesterday & baths, so can do without for a day or two. I see my doc next Tuesday, call my boss a bit later as my last vacation day was today, so now will be back on sick leave. I really need to stop doing these things to myself! You're right Dawn, I need some bubble wrap, at least there's no break, I'm icing it for 20 min every 2 hours. And it's just impossible to sleep, so napping as I can. The T3s are making me a bit loopy but not sleepy. I guess I'll pass out when I can't stand being awake anymore! I have a pillow so have the ankle elevated when I'm lying down & as soon as I can touch the "egg" I'll do that massage. I don't need help with the dragons & Jake is in school anyway, they'll be in bed by 5p today. Right now Didi is pouting because I'm not letting him out, but I can't have the barrier up and then take it back down, it's too difficult, so he'll just have to deal :lol:

Goonie

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Goodness gracious woman! What a scary fall. Thank god nothing was broken.
Definitely look into asking Jake to help out with the babies more this week. You can't be hopping around the apartment then slip and fall again.

Did the stairs to the basement have a railing? I think you should start holding on to a railing when you ascent/descent any stairs from now on, at least that's prevent you from having any more face plantings.

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Original Poster
I was holding the railing, but when I slipped I flailed my hands to try to straighten up and that didn't work. I've been up & down those steps constantly for 2 1/2 yrs, almost daily, and it's never happened before, talk about a fluke! And I had no trouble with the boys today, they were really sleepy and they're already tucked into bed. When I have to get up for food, bathroom break, etc, I take a tour in the living room. My living space is small, 600 sq feet altogether and nothing is very far away, and as they were well fed yesterday, I didn't feed them today. I should feel a bit better tomorrow, at least well enough to feed them a good meal. Thankfully, as adults, they only eat once a day. And Jake and Cami are always available if I need anything, so I'm covered there. Thanks for dropping in Gina and BlueDragon, I sure feel stupid for this accident and on a vacation day yet. At least I found out that crutches, an ankle brace with air bubbles to make it more comfy and the ambulance are all covered by my extended health 95%, so that's good to know. I found out where to get the brace and should be able to get it Friday or Monday & the crutches at the same time. Those are to help me get back to work. So I'll see what my doc says on Tuesday and go from there...

JangoMom

Sub-Adult Member
sorry to hear you got hurt.. I hope it heals quickly for you. :( Glad to hear some of your boys decided to wake up finally :)

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Original Poster
Yes, 4 are up and only Rubio is still asleep but he does brumation for months, so far 2 months down and probably 2 more to go. I'm feeling a bit better, still very hard to get around, and the swelling hasn't decreased any. I just talked to my boss and explained, so start sick leave tomorrow. Got an appt to see my doctor next Tuesday and that's when we'll decide if I can make the trip to work (1 hour on public transportation each way), so will be getting the splint and crutches to make my trip easier & give my foot support. Until then I'm up every two hours to ice it, taking T3s still until tonight, then start ibuprofin tomorrow. My boys were really sleepy today, so were in bed asleep at 4p, very early for them all. So now I don't have dragon chores, they'll have more of my attention tomorrow.

beardie parents

BD.org Sicko
Hi Deb

I read of your accident this morning and tried to explain it to my other half and I didn't do such a good job so I read it to him when I got home. He and I have sympathy pains for your leg. It seems like you injured your leg worse then I did. I agree, try the Epsom salts, they really work in warm water, of course with the pain in your leg, getting into and out of a warm bath won't be easy, unless you get one of those chairs that you can put into your bath and sit on. That would work, I hope anyway. We are praying for your healing.

Dawn, you come up with the funniest/nuttiest stuff, bubble wrap. I have a lot in my storage shed, Deb, if you want, we can send it to you to wrap yourself in when you go up and down stairs. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoseofChaos
Top Bottom