Nathaniel, Cierra, Castiel, Freya, Grrl; RIP GABRIEL

Status
Not open for further replies.
We never expected to get another dragon, but our neighbours next door wanted to give away Cleo, as he was called. We'd babysat him before, he's such a sweetheart. We nicknamed him Velcro because when he snuggles he never wants to go back to his viv, he hangs on as if he's made out of velcro.

So here he is. Today was his first day with us. He ate 13 supers and ate some squash, not bad for the first day he was here. He's only in a 30 gallon tank, which will be ok for now. He's 18" long but weighs only 200g. We figure he's probably 2 yrs old. Our neighbours rescued him last fall, they found him and a female (which they named Puff) on Craig's list. They were in a 30 gallon dirty tank, with sand and a huge log that took up 1/2 the space in the tank. Leo was at the bottom, he was sooooo skinny. He's gained weight, but never got the attention he deserved. I took some pics today, but will take more tomorrow. I think he remembers our place as didn't get stressed as I expected. No stress marks at all. When we let him run around the living room, he noticed our girls and immediate black beard, so his hormones are working!

He had a bath this morning, had a big poop, no smell, so not worried about parasites.

So here are a few pics, he's a yellow & dark gray, light gray colour.

Under the communal power sun in the living room:
sweetie2008401.jpg

Discovering there are girls in those tanks up above, he has a great black beard for such a skinny boy:
sweetie2008403.jpg

On the couch, he's got a pretty diamond pattern on his back:
sweetie2008412.jpg

sweetie2008413.jpg

Hope you enjoy
Deb and my six dragons :D :shock: :shock: :shock: :cry: :cry: :( :love5:

spikerocks

Juvie Member
Oh Deb, ur dragons all look so healthy n happy! I luv all the pics and I may just have to steal the ramp idea. I really like the ramp n all the toys n stuffies around it. I'm glad the move went well. Moving is the WORST. Leo looks so great since u guys first took him in and I am totally in love w/Rubio's bath pics in the boat. I need to get one of those boats!

Now the fun begins with all 4 beardies here! It is really funny to see all the head bobbing and black bearding. Crush black bearded several times today and previously he only ever did it once. He head bobbed for the first time too! Princess sure has power over those boys!

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Original Poster
Yes, Michele, I'm not sure if it was an older egg, as Sweetie hasn't stopped eating and isn't digging out her carpet in her tank, so not sure. I'm hoping not, she still hasn't gained the weight she lost last time she laid. And being in our bedroom and away from the boys, I'm hoping she'll get out of the habit. I'm still giving her liquid calcium daily and making sure she's swimming alot in her bath in the am, I was afraid she was starting MBD in her back legs again. She had it as a baby and we got her all fixed up by the time she was 9 mo old. Now that she's 4, I'm hoping we've caught it in time.

Thanks Jane, I just saw the pics on your thread, I had forgotten where Roger found the boat, well it was in a box of toys down by the recycle area in our old building. It had a top on it, he just took it off, washed it off and now it's part of our beardie bathroom kit. I haven't tried Leo or Sweetie in it yet, but will try it out next weekend when I have more time.

Deb

gulfbrzdawn

BD.org Addict
LOL, I love Rubio in the boat! He certainly doesn't look 800 grams :shock: Hopefully he won't capsize this boat :roll: :lol:
Glad to hear all is well with you and your tribe!

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Original Poster
Thanks Dawn, I'll be trying the rest of them in the boat to see how they like it. Roger just finds the neatest things down by the dumpsters. That's where most of the snugglies that are on each side of the ramp came from, too. I swear Roger's the King of Ramp building!

I haven't had a minute to get back to Bliggy's thread and are you coming up with any more comic ideas, they are just the best!

Deb

Jasper's Mom

BD.org Addict
Ha ha, I love that boat. I should get one for Bob - he always acts like he's being bathed in sulfuric acid. :roll: I'm glad your move went well and is over now. Hopefully that one egg is just a "left over" and Sweetie isn't gearing up to lay more clutches!

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Original Poster
Hi Sandi, how are you all doing? I got unsubscribed from your thread, one more thread to hunt down on the weekend. :D

We're down to 2 boxes to unpack and we're done. Roger's been so good about getting everything organized & planning, he's quite the interier decorator, he's still coming up with ideas to improve that ramp!

I bet Bob would really enjoy this white boat, especially 'cause there are wheels on the bottom :mrgreen: , it's pretty cool. Roger found it downstairs in the basement, that's where he found the box of stuffies and such that are along the sides of the ramp, including the water feature. Our dragons are so spoiled! :D :D

Rubio takes flying leaps off tha ramp. Lonzo was diving off the top into the patio galss, so pillows got put there & now he has extra cushion to sprawl at the top.

I'm going to be putting the other dragons, each their turn, in the boat this weekend, too, to see how they react. Should be fun!

Deb

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Original Poster
Sweetie has presented us with two eggs in the last 2 days, 1 yesterday in her tank and 1 this am in her bath :shock: We had a feeling she was getting ready to lay eggs again :banghead: This will be her 6th clutch of infertile eggs since Jan. I'm hoping she'll stop after this, as she's getting worn down. I'm thinking of getting her some critical care to help build her up, I'm already giving her liquid calcium daily. She's gained some weight, but still feels too light. Any thoughts?

beardie osk

Extreme Poster
sweetiepie9":xagpsywv said:
Sweetie has presented us with two eggs in the last 2 days, 1 yesterday in her tank and 1 this am in her bath :shock: We had a feeling she was getting ready to lay eggs again :banghead: This will be her 6th clutch of infertile eggs since Jan. I'm hoping she'll stop after this, as she's getting worn down. I'm thinking of getting her some critical care to help build her up, I'm already giving her liquid calcium daily. She's gained some weight, but still feels too light. Any thoughts?

I'm sorry to say I have no suggestions, because I havn't gone there with gravid females, (I'm terrified about it with my 3 girls) but just know that I'm praying for poor Sweetie, is she in view of the males, or does that not make a difference?

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Original Poster
Hi Christine, I hope your girls never start with egg-laying. We've had Sweetie since she was 4 mo old. She started laying eggs when she turned 2, April/06. We didn't adopt Lonzo until Sept/06, and Sweetie had laid 4 clutches by then :shock: You can imagine our shock the first time Roger saw an egg, as we thought she was male :lol: Since then we've been through about 4-6 clutches per year, she even lay a clutch last Dec/09. She does see Leo and Lonzo on occassion when we let her run around the living room, but Roger's making up a play area in our bedroom. Then she won't see the boys anymore and we'll see how it goes after that. She just seems lighter this time around. I think I'll check to see if I can get Critical Care up here in Canada, just in case Sweetie needs it after this next clutch. Can't be too careful, right?

Our other news is we're fostering two beardies for a year. A young woman who lives nearby is going to Japan for a year to work. She's had her female for 6 years and her male for 5. They'll fit in fine. Looish, the girl, will be in our bedroom, sharing with Sweetie. Diablo, the boy will be beside Lonzo and will share the living room. We offered before we moved, and she has no-one else, so we'll make due as we've always done. We'll be compensated for the costs, which is nice. And she'll stay in touch by email. I think it was a difficult decision for her, but she's not been able to find work beyond minimum wage retail jobs here in Vancouver, it's a tough market, more and more people are moving into the area surrounding Vancouver. So we decided that the least we could do was help. The request was on this forum, too, and it caught our eye because she lives so close by.

It's going to be fun!
Deb

FaaFaa

Sub-Adult Member
Wow Deb :shock: it sounds like Sweetie is an egg-laying machine! You and Roger take wonderful care of her and all the rest, so I am sure that she is going to be just fine. I can only try and imagine your frustration and worry though.

That's great that you are going to foster the 2 beardies. That lady is very lucky to have found you. You are going to make a wondful foster momma!

I can't wait to hear of all the wonderful adventures you and your foster beardies will have getting to know one another!

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Original Poster
Nicole said Looish is very social, but Diablo is fiesty. So it should be interesting!

Deb

puppytoes72

BD.org Sicko
6 clutches since January??? :shock:
Critical Care can't hurt so go for it :wink: Another thing that might fatten her up is squash,it sticks to the bones :D
Congrats on your foster children,they will have LOTS of fun at your house :D

beardie osk

Extreme Poster
sweetiepie9":hiydl0nj said:
Hi Christine, I hope your girls never start with egg-laying. We've had Sweetie since she was 4 mo old. She started laying eggs when she turned 2, April/06. We didn't adopt Lonzo until Sept/06, and Sweetie had laid 4 clutches by then :shock: You can imagine our shock the first time Roger saw an egg, as we thought she was male :lol: Since then we've been through about 4-6 clutches per year, she even lay a clutch last Dec/09. She does see Leo and Lonzo on occassion when we let her run around the living room, but Roger's making up a play area in our bedroom. Then she won't see the boys anymore and we'll see how it goes after that. She just seems lighter this time around. I think I'll check to see if I can get Critical Care up here in Canada, just in case Sweetie needs it after this next clutch. Can't be too careful, right?

Our other news is we're fostering two beardies for a year. A young woman who lives nearby is going to Japan for a year to work. She's had her female for 6 years and her male for 5. They'll fit in fine. Looish, the girl, will be in our bedroom, sharing with Sweetie. Diablo, the boy will be beside Lonzo and will share the living room. We offered before we moved, and she has no-one else, so we'll make due as we've always done. We'll be compensated for the costs, which is nice. And she'll stay in touch by email. I think it was a difficult decision for her, but she's not been able to find work beyond minimum wage retail jobs here in Vancouver, it's a tough market, more and more people are moving into the area surrounding Vancouver. So we decided that the least we could do was help. The request was on this forum, too, and it caught our eye because she lives so close by.

It's going to be fun!
Deb

So Deb, do you mean you didn't have any males in the house and Sweetie had 4 clutches? :shock: I thought females had to see a male to stimulate egg production? :roll: ? :roll: ?

I commented on another thread about your foster care, that gal is so fortunate to have you and Roger as foster parents, your going to give great care to both of them, hopefully you'll post pics.

Freeie

Extreme Poster
Oh wow thats alot of eggs. Our Roo laid 4 and it took a huge tole on her body :( I couldnt amagine 6 clutches! I hope she gains her weight back and gets all nice and fat before she lays another batch.

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Original Poster
Thanks Christine, we get to meet Nicole and her two beardies on Sunday, so that'll be fun. We've talked to Nicole a few times on the phone, so this will be our 1st face-to-face & snout :mrgreen: It's going to be crowed in the bedroom, but it'll still be fun. :D :D

Roger's still trying to figure out the best play area for Sweetie, he'll get that done tomorrow, as it's time to get the laybox out. Yup, Christy, this will be the 6th clutch, she's never had so many & she lays 23-27 eggs each time. I'm just so glad they're infertile.

And Michelle, she did start before there was ever a male in our house. I've heard that, too, that you need male hormones to stimulate the egg production, but it's not true in our case. I know of other beardies that lay infertile egg, with no male in sight. So it's a mystery to me :dontknow:

I'll let you know when Sweetie decides to get to business, she went to bed really early and in her hide for the 1st time in a long time. Don't know what that was about, she hardly ever goes into her hide & normally sleeps around her spa, she likes the large polished pebbles that are in the large feeding dish that makes up Sweetie's spa. :D It's her favourite place in her tank :D

More pics on the weekend,
Deb

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChekeNerton523
Top Bottom