Nathaniel, Cierra, Castiel, Freya, Grrl; RIP GABRIEL

Status
Not open for further replies.
We never expected to get another dragon, but our neighbours next door wanted to give away Cleo, as he was called. We'd babysat him before, he's such a sweetheart. We nicknamed him Velcro because when he snuggles he never wants to go back to his viv, he hangs on as if he's made out of velcro.

So here he is. Today was his first day with us. He ate 13 supers and ate some squash, not bad for the first day he was here. He's only in a 30 gallon tank, which will be ok for now. He's 18" long but weighs only 200g. We figure he's probably 2 yrs old. Our neighbours rescued him last fall, they found him and a female (which they named Puff) on Craig's list. They were in a 30 gallon dirty tank, with sand and a huge log that took up 1/2 the space in the tank. Leo was at the bottom, he was sooooo skinny. He's gained weight, but never got the attention he deserved. I took some pics today, but will take more tomorrow. I think he remembers our place as didn't get stressed as I expected. No stress marks at all. When we let him run around the living room, he noticed our girls and immediate black beard, so his hormones are working!

He had a bath this morning, had a big poop, no smell, so not worried about parasites.

So here are a few pics, he's a yellow & dark gray, light gray colour.

Under the communal power sun in the living room:
sweetie2008401.jpg

Discovering there are girls in those tanks up above, he has a great black beard for such a skinny boy:
sweetie2008403.jpg

On the couch, he's got a pretty diamond pattern on his back:
sweetie2008412.jpg

sweetie2008413.jpg

Hope you enjoy
Deb and my six dragons :D :shock: :shock: :shock: :cry: :cry: :( :love5:

Esther19

BD.org Addict
Hi Deb!

Sorry to hear that Didi is ready to zonk out. My Cissy has never brumated. I didn't have my boys last winter, but it looks like they might be getting ready. Boy, I've got a lot of reading up to do! Great that your boys are all gaining weight! Love hearing about them. :D

Esther

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Original Poster
Could be, just remember to make sure to clear out his digestive system before he goes to sleep for any length of time. It's very important, as he can rot out his system if there is undigested food in there. Can make him really sick. I always make sure there is a last poop & if they eat that they're up every 3 days or so & given long baths, just to make sure. If he sleeps for over a week, make sure he gets a weekly bath, as he'll dehydrate quickly, as it's his first time. If you can manage it, it's also best to get a fecal done. I know it's difficult, but it can cause damage if he sleeps with parasites in his belly. I always try to get it done on the ones I might suspect of having them so they can get medicated & be clear before they sleep. Didi is dozing but he won't go down for a long sleep for awhile yet. I'll have him up tomorrow & over the weekend.

Zeusmybeardie

Gray-bearded Member
Wait so they can go into a sleep for a week! Straight? How long does brumation last if Zeus goes into a sleep for a long time I shouldn't wake him up only every week so he can have a bath ? Should I turn on his lights still well he's in a deep sleep? So he ate two days ago should I give him a bath today if he gets up to make sure he poops cause he only pooops in the bath?

Mike

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Original Poster
Yes, they can brumate for long periods of time. Lonzo & Rubio both slept for over 3 months. I got them up every 2 weeks & fed them water & then soaked them for 20 min each. Alot of people don't bother their dragons, but I find, since my living room is always at least 72F (not sure in celcius) that they need the water. Didi & Leo both slept for 3 weeks, were up for a few days, slept again for 3 weeks, then they were up the rest of the winter. Brumation is different for every beardie. When I know they're konked out for a few days, I always turn their lights off before I leave for work & cover them up. If they get up during the day, I'll leave the lights on the next day. It's a bit of a guessing game & I really hate brumation, it's to know what's best for your dragon. He's still young, he may not due more than sleep a day or so here & there & otherwise be up. So don't worry about it until he sleeps for a few days in a row, that's when you want to make sure to wake him up after about 5 days to make sure he can do his last poop. There's an excellent article at the top under Care Sheets written by Denise Bushnill that explains alot of the different types of brumation. So check it out.

Gabriel at alot of roaches this am, then he ate an adult :shock: Chewed it up really well, I was amazed, so I think he'll get roaches more than supers now. I'll keep the supers for Lonzo & Leo, they won't eat the roaches. Even Rubio ate 4 this am, so we'll see if this continues. It would be nice, my colony is getting bigger and bigger and Jake will be giving me more adults in a month or so.

I did take Didi out of his hide this am, he even ate a few roaches, so it'll be bath time soon, as I know there's a poop in him, then he can sleep if he wants. I'm still going to leave the light on in his tank, just in case he's just sleeping late.

Rubio, Lonzo, Leo and Gabriel still aren't showing any signs of brumation, or even slowing down as of yet. YEAH!

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Original Poster
I'ts ok, I've been through brumation for a few winters now & it took awhile to get used to what to expect. And even then, every winter seems to be different. You just go with the flow!

Zeusmybeardie

Gray-bearded Member
It's kind of scary cause if he sleeps for five days. And it wasn't brumation I don't want to wake up a dead Zeus but he's been sleeping all day so far

beardie parents

BD.org Sicko
I know what you said, Deb about your boys brumating. I have talked to other people (don't remember who just yet) in our area who have said they don't wake them up for water or to get them to poop during the winter brumating, I don't know if that's wrong for them but I guess it's different for every one. The first year Rosie brumated she slept for one week then up for a day or two, then asleep for a week or two then up. Last winter she slept at less then half the time she did the year before.

morphmom

BD.org Addict
sweetiepie9":1vvt7ic4 said:
Rubio, Lonzo, Leo and Gabriel still aren't showing any signs of brumation, or even slowing down as of yet. YEAH!
Fingers crossed :D I hope Gabriel and Lonzo just forget this year...

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Original Poster
Hi Esther, didn't see your post! Are your boys slowing down, that may be all they do, as they're not that old, right? Brumation is a really strange thing that beardies do, it just keeps us all puzzled as to the best way to handle them. There's a great article under Care Sheets by Denise Bushnell that explains it alot better & how it works. In the wild dragons find burrows to brumate in, so they get alot of moisture that's absorbed thru their skin. In our homes, it's different, so that's why I always get them up every 2 weeks to give them water & bathe them, then they go back to sleep. I don't leave any lights on, just cover them up, as they're conked out & if I leave lights on, that will be more dehydrating for them. Some, if the room they're in is cool, can't just let them be for the time they sleep. I have a gecko, so have to leave the temp in the living room at 72F, so just having the heat on is too drying, which is why I make sure they get water. They don't lose alot of weight, either, but I do make sure they good & fat before they sleep, just in case. If I find that they're losing, I make sure they stay awake for awhile to eat & then poop before they go back to sleep. (sometimes this doesn't work, so I have to wait until spring to give them food). It's a day by day thing, but if they all conk out, it sure is quiet & lonely during that time!

Hi Lori, some people let their dragons be, seems we know our dragons the best, so it's up to us on how we're going to handle brumation.

I'm hoping that Lonzo, especially, will decide to just go to bed early every day & not sleep for a long period like he did last year. He flipped himself over today for the first time since April, but his right lung was still functioning a bit. Now I can't leave him alone for any time, he'll only be allowed out when I can keep an eye on him, again. Poor old guy, wish he'd stop doing that!

As for Gabriel, if he sleeps a bit, that will be ok, but only if he's stopped eating & his digestive system is clear. He ate a ton today, so looks like his appetite isn't stopping any time soon, so we'll see!

Goonie

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
:eek: Oh no! What was Lonzo doing that caused him to flip over again? Glad to hear that his lung wasn't compromised again though.

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Original Poster
I'm not sure, he was outside just walking on the balcony & I found him flipped over. Hopefully it won't ever happen again! He's under my hawk eye now, and back to not having anything high in his tank. I'm just hoping he'll not do full brumation.
It was a big surprise to see, as he hasn't done that for a long time. Poor Lonzo was so frustrated when I picked him up.

morphmom

BD.org Addict
sweetiepie9":3iurr9g7 said:
It was a big surprise to see, as he hasn't done that for a long time. Poor Lonzo was so frustrated when I picked him up.
Oh, poor Lonzo. :( Thank goodness it was only his pride that was wounded. Maybe some extra snuggles.

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Original Poster
Yep, he got lots of snuggles.

So some news. I went to the pet shop to buy supers & cricktes (for Rocco) and found 2 little babies not doing so well, so they're here now, I've got out the baby food, they've both eaten the chicken with vit/min & calcium, not much, but they're so tiny. They're going to stay in Didi's tank for the time they're here, which won't be long. right now they're in a bath & one of them is moving around. They both have they're eyes closed, so not sure if the light is Reptiglo, I'll have to check that next time. There was one dead baby I found, otherwise the others are all healthy & running around. So I'll see how long it takes to get these two eating, then they go back. They both 5" long & one is shedding, so I think it's temporary, I think the others are just a bit bigger and they weren't getting the lighting they needed. So if using Didi's tank doesn't work, tomorrow I'll borrow what I need for a smaller tank. Didi loves to live in the living room, so that won't be a problem. I'll see how it goes by tomorrow. Gotta go, they're still in the bath!
They're so cute, but can't keep 'em! And already affectionate!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
miss_michelle421
Top Bottom